CBBT Fri 9-28-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Fri 9-28-12

Met HokieDJ at the launch. We were targeting sheepies, togs, flounder and maybe a bull red.

I was on the water at 0815 hrs with three dozen fiddler crabs. HokieDJ had fiddlers too. We fished along the pilings as we headed toward the 1st island.

Nothing spectacular for me. I caught:
    - several toads
    - several sea bass
    - 2 weakfish
    - a couple short puppy drums

For HokieDJ, it was another story. He called me on the marine radio and said, "I think I caught a citation," so I went there to help. He'll tell you the details, but I can tell you this. He caught what was later a Citation Sheepie. His first sheepie ever! Not bad for his second outing at CBBT (he caught a big black drum on is first outing a few weeks ago).

Congrats, Dave!
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

ohhh thats a nice sheepie! congrats on the citation!
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

NICE Hokie.... If i were you I would have told that story 50 times at the captain's meeting!

Comment

Nice going!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Good fishing fellas! I'm jealous! Hopefully I will have the same beginner's luck with my 1`st Sheepie!

Comment

Awesome! Dave's got the big fish touch.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Haha thanks. I was nervous he wasn't citation but he measured out 24.5 and weighted 10lbs on the dot. My first citation ever.

I also hook on something 2 times that day and twice on sunday that spooled and broke off at the dropper loop that I had a teaser on my flounder rig! I'm pretty sure it had to be bull red on the last one because I saw fish breaking surface and casted into it on the drift. I made the mistake of letting it make a run into the pilings (I was working with 30 lb braid with 40lb leader) and it it wrapped around it and got myself in trouble with the current also. Once I got out of pilings and started to reel in some more line, I felt the familiar thump. The line went slack and up came my leader broken at the dropper loop again for the 4th time! I was deflated and had to start heading in due to my time contraints.

I will be back with a better setup next time.

Comment

Thought dropper loops are strong. I guess it's weaker than improved clinch, and I use both. In fact, I think I use the same double lure rig for flounder as you do. Hmmmmm....maybe I should not use droppers if there's a good chance of hooking on to big fish. Maybe use a 3-way swivel? Or use droppers on say 80# mono?
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                  Haha thanks. I was nervous he wasn't citation but he measured out 24.5 and weighted 10lbs on the dot. My first citation ever.

I also hook on something 2 times that day and twice on sunday that spooled and broke off at the dropper loop that I had a teaser on my flounder rig! I'm pretty sure it had to be bull red on the last one because I saw fish breaking surface and casted into it on the drift. I made the mistake of letting it make a run into the pilings (I was working with 30 lb braid with 40lb leader) and it it wrapped around it and got myself in trouble with the current also. Once I got out of pilings and started to reel in some more line, I felt the familiar thump. The line went slack and up came my leader broken at the dropper loop again for the 4th time! I was deflated and had to start heading in due to my time contraints.

I will be back with a better setup next time.
                  yep, might of been a big a red. they were slaying them out there this past weekend.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                  X