Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT & CBBT 21-22 Sep 2012

Fri, HRBT

Launched from Ft Monroe, and was on the water at 0830 hrs. Nice day. I fished the north pilings and then I went across the channel to Ft Wool and fished the pilings south of the island too. The current was ripping pretty good there.

Caught six sea bass, four toads and six short specks.

For a short time, the specks were biting well at Ft Wool. I even had a double hook up. Other boaters caught them too, but the specks were also shorts.

Sat, CBBT

Was on the water at 0630 hrs. Another nice day. The winds and chops did pick up in the afternoon. With three dozen fiddlers and half a dozen blue crabs, my targets were sheepies and togs.

No togs. I think the water is still too warm. On the blue crabs, I caught only toads, sea bass and a croaker.

No sheepies caught. On the fiddlers, I caught only toads and a puppy drum. I did get two or three hook ups that were fairly strong, but they came off half way up. So maybe I almost got sheepies.

I also jigged curly tails. Total catch of the day:
    Many sea bass
    Many toads
    Many short specks
    Three short puppy drum (largest 14.5")
    1 blue
    1 croaker

The highlight of the day was jigging the pilings. At mid morning, I got a big tug.

After I set the hook, the fish started spooling my reel right away. I tightened the drag, but it kept going. The drag on my Curado 200E7 was then set at max, but it continued to pull line. It pulled the 30# braid off until it got down to the mono backing. I thought it was going to break off at the end because the line was spooling fast and I knew I had only 10 to 20 yds of mono. I immediately turned the yak nose toward the fish and pumped the mirage drive hard. Phewwww......the maneuver gave me slack and I was able to reel the braid back.

After over five minutes of reeling and spooling, the fish seemed to settle. It was maybe 10 feet below, and I still didn't get to see it. It then made another deep run, and then it happened. Bang! It snapped the main line! OMG! Dang!

After it was all over, I was over 200 yds from the bridge. It was a great sleigh ride. It was the most awesome fight I ever had on a yak.

I'll never see what it was. It made very strong pulls. I did feel head jerks when it wasn't pulling line, so I don't think it was like the many rays I've caught before. I'll always remember this fight with a big question mark. Oh well, that's my "the big one that got away" story.

Pics: 1st, 4th & 5th are from HRBT. Others are from CBBT.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 09-23-2012, 07:31 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Man that was your drum!!

At what water dept did you catch the reds and specks?

Comment

If it was a drum, I could bang my head. I was suppose to change the old braid before I went down, but I was too busy with other things. Ughhhhh.....I'm pissed. I'm going to change it now for TKAA, but it's too late anyway.

Caught them around 25-30 ft.

Comment

I'll bet it was a bull red too... Can't wait for my trip to the promised land in a few weeks. Will you guys be down for the M&G 10/13?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Hey tuf,
          That "speck" in the picture is a weakfish....and looks like it was a keeper!
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            I'll bet it was a bull red too... Can't wait for my trip to the promised land in a few weeks. Will you guys be down for the M&G 10/13?
            You too?!?!...No, no, .... please don't say it was a bull red........I could cry.

Kevin, I checked my other pics. You're right. Weakfish keeper is 12". I C&R 2-3 of these at HRBT. Oops.

Comment

Great story! It hurts just having read it, can't imagine having lived it. I think it was a mermaid, not a red.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Tuf,

Nice report! After catching a 17"ish puppy drum I can only imagine what a bull red feels like... sounds like you got a nice taste of that.. just a little hit will get you hooked

Comment

Tufnik,
                  Thanks for the report and the pictures. After sitting on a sofa for 10 days, and had to wait 3 more weeks to go fishing, ... Watching your pictures and eating large specks made my day. (Michael, Redfish12 stopped by last night and gave me large fat specks he caught).
                  When I see your tog reports, I guess will be ready.

joe
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

my heart broke when i got spooled by that 40+ inch bull red in the south river. it sucks so much but theres always a next time

Comment

Working...
                    X