Freshwater wading report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater wading report

Got out today for a little hiking with my wife around Savage Mill and brought my fishing rod. I saw a report of big carp in the area on PierandSurf and was prepared with some garlic corn.

After hiking along the stream and making a few casts and catching a few sunfish and creek chubs, I finally found what I was looking for. In a nice pool right below a beautiful waterfall I found 4-5 big Carp. I threw out a few handfuls of corn to bait the Carp into an area away from all of the pesky sunfish. Soon a large carp came in and started eating the corn that i had thrown in. First Carp went over my corn-baited hook and I though he ate it, but he didn't and swam off. This got my heart pumping, so I threw a little more corn in and soon another carp was feeding. I threw my corn-baited hook out in front of him and a few seconds later, he slurped it up and it was game on!

I was using 6 lb line and my new ultra light rod that I had won in the raffle at the CBKA tournament, so I had to really play the fish and let him run until he tired. The Carp started off running toward the falls up stream and later ran downstream a little way before I turned him. I had him close to beaching at least 4-5 times and he made another run. On the 5th time I was getting a little anxious and I guess I put a little too much pressure on the rod because I snapped it in half. The next few minutes were spent carefully handlining the fish to the beach and finally I had landed the beast.

Here are a few pics from the day:

Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Awesome Shady! 10 years ago I used to live right up the street from there. I love that place. I've never caught many fish in there, but it's beautiful. I used to focus on smallmouth bass and caught a few. Most of my time was spent running the trails for exercise. The place can get real crowded with the trout stocking. They should be putting some fall trout in there soon. What a nice looking carp. I had no idea that there were carp in there up that far.

My son and I were out fishing the Patapsco today and i'll post a few photos.

Comment

My son and I hit the Patapsco this afternoon for a few hours prior to the rain. Water temps are getting colder. Water was crystal clear. No minnows observed in the water. Water very low. Found plenty of rock bass and smallies in a reliable spot. My son had the hot lure for the day while fishing 2 3/4" tubes. Beautiful day out on a nice river.

Comment

Nice pics, nice story, nice fish!
        I recognize that spot, as I had gone there once with a coworker, and have seen the big carp. That's cool that you hooked one of them.
        Too bad about that rod though....
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! Im still bummed about breaking my new rod. I wonder if there is any warranty recourse on a free rod?
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Excellent report! I loved all the pictures. It's nice you had someone with you to take the pictures of you in action. What kind of camera do you have? Sorry to hear about your rod. I guess that's how life goes. I took Sun there once and we saw the school of carp there. I think I may try to hit that spot soon, before the trout stocking begins and it gets all crowded.

Comment

Congrats on the nice carp, but sorry to hear about the rod. I like the pics of the bridge and the time-lapse waterfall shot.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, my wife took all of them using a Canon 60D with a 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens. Don't ask me what all of the means...
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice carp Shady! I can't believe you broke your new rod... what a bummer... You shoulda eaten that carp as punishment.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks for the info on the camera. The quality really shows

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                      Thanks for the compliments! Im still bummed about breaking my new rod. I wonder if there is any warranty recourse on a free rod?
                      Good job Ryan. Catching a large fish on 6-lb test is quite a feat. I recommend that you contact the rod manufacturer to see if they will replace your rod. Last year I had a new Cabelas ultralight that broke after just a few casts. I contacted them. They credited me the price of the rod.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                        Nice carp Shady! I can't believe you broke your new rod... what a bummer... You shoulda eaten that carp as punishment.
                        Eating a carp would have been punishment for me too...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                          Eating a carp would have been punishment for me too...
                          Haha! yeah... although, I heard that in Poland they catch carp and put them in their bathtub for 2 weeks. Apparently, this "cleans them out" and then they taste good. Next time, put it in the bathtub. Your wife won't mind.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                          X