Bait Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait Fish

I notice alot of you here live line for strippers. What size spot do you use and what do you catch them on? Do you use any other bait fish. Guys I know up here in Cecil Co. use small white perch for bait and catch them on small shad darts. I have yet to fish live bait for strippers, use mostly Rebels and Poppers up here.

Anything in the 3-5 inch range is what I use. They will bite a lot of things. Your standard worm will work. The last time I was out I had bought a squid because I thought I might go after some croaker if I limited out on stripers so I just used the tentacles and caught plenty of spot. Sometimes I use bloodworm fishbites too. If I can find a school at the dock then I will use a cast net and catch bunker. Small white perch will work as well.

Comment

3-6 inch spot- sometimes I'll let a 7+ swim for awhile if I have two rods out, but it's a great way to loose a rig bc after 6 inches those little brutes can take line out on my baitcaster with the clicker on if I'm not paying attention.

I have been catching the majority of my spot on nightcrawlers. Usually only need about 2 worms for 20 - 30 spot. I've also been using fishbites, with about the same success. I use two size 6 longshank (saltwater grade) hooks tied in dropper loops with a large surgeon's loop at the bottom. I leave the dropper loops longish and then slide on 4 small beads, then the hook, then I knot the loop so the beads and hook stay put. Seems to be working very well. I also use small octopus hooks when I run out. Just slip the bottom loop through a sinker and you're ready to go. 1 oz has been more than enough for me.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

top and bottom rig. cheap eagle claw size 6 hooks, 1 oz weight. bloodworm fishbites or night crawlers. perch work, but spot are rockfish crack.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X