New Guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy here

Hey folks, Just joined the group. I fish mostly the susky near Port Deposit for Strippers and Smallies with my cousin "susqeyaker". We are interested in fishing the bay around the Bay bridge and points north. What are the safety requirements for a yak per coast guard besides a life jacket? Thanks for any response.

New guy

Hey new guy, welcome. This is the right place for kayak anglers to get information. If you read through, there are some very good recent threads on safety, such as vests and lights for night fishing. There is one ongoing about cold weather gear. The only mandatory thing is a life vest. However, if you get into night fishing, lights are important. There is a long list of recommended safety equipment, such as a first aid kit, waterproof/floating VHF radio, orange flags, etc, etc etc. Alot of that has been recently been discussed and is recent. Some of the threads may start out as one subject but cover many subjects.

Kayak fishing is great fun, and there are many knowledgeable kayak fishers at this site.

Good Luck.

Comment

Topwater, welcome aboard, a noise maker is important, I think it might be required by USCG also? I wore a whistle around my neck when fishing the rivers but when on the bay I keep a small air horn in my pocket, purchased at West Marine for $6-$8. Out on the bay there may not be anyone close, even under the bay bridge the traffic going across can make it hard to hear. The air horn is good for 1/2 - mile. I have two kids in college and a third who is depending on me to send her to college also, I always wear my life jacket. Yesterday while fishing on the eastern bay a boater came speeding in watching the birds, if he is intent on the birds and not watching for kayaks low in the water bad things can happen. See you on the water!
      Bryan

Comment

welcome Topwater. minimum saftey gear:

1. PFD wont save you if you dont wear it!
        2. signaling device, i carry a small mirror, whisle and small air horn
        3. flag, better to be seen than not
        4. paddle leash, if you dunk while holding a rod toss it and grab the paddle, better to lose a rod than let the yak get away, in the wind they will move a lot faster than you in the water
        5. float plan, tell someone where and when you should be back
        6. cell phone or vhf not maditory but good to have

tight lines see you on the water

Comment

Welcome to the board.

I would also add a knife of some sort to your pfd. It might come in handy if you get tangled in something. I have a leatherman tethered to a D-ring in one of my pockets. That way I can't lose it.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

oops forgot that. ive got a folding ss one clipped to my PFD

Comment

Working...
            X