Claiborne - 9/13 - Good Fishing Until Boats Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiborne - 9/13 - Good Fishing Until Boats Arrived

Finally made it out to Claiborne this afternoon, thought I would try to find the 20-30 ft hole Sam mentioned go for flounder but as I was driving up I could see birds all over the eastern bay. Put the kayak in around 4:00, set a line up with a steel leader and blue/silver kastmaster. Started trolling and catching bluefish in the 10"-20" range before I even got out to the birds.

I have a good friend who runs a charter boat and does commercial tuna fishing out of Portland ME, he told me along time ago never to get in the middle of the birds or if fishing by light at night stay on the edges that is where the better/bigger fish are. I heeded his advice trolled behind the birds as they moved around caught fish after fish, including a rockfish and a needle fish. Fishfinder was full stacked from the bottom to the surface, have never seen so many fish on the finder.

A boat chasing the birds saw me catching and started squeezing in closer and closer to my yak, then another boat came screaming in full blast, I was in 12' of water the fish scattered as soon as the second boat came in and the bite was over. Don't understand why boaters think they have to chase the birds at full speed, especially in water that shallow?

Anyway it was some of the best fishing for me all season, lasted about an hour never did find the 20' foot hole. Will have to go again.

Sweet! Nice report, Bryan. Glad to hear your success today.

With the dry, hot summer there's gotta be plenty of flounder around mid-bay. Couple seasons ago picked a couple at Thomas Point.

I'm on a boat trip on Saturday above the Bay Bridge. I don't like to run too far so expect to be chasing blues & rock breakers above the bridge. If not, there's always live lining around the bridge!

Agree regarding some boaters. I fish from a boat but never, never come flying up on a school. It puts down everything! Approach calmly, slowly, you'll get some!

Comment

nice job and thanks for the report. the most fun ive had this year was throwing kastmasters at breaking blues. they were all snappers in the 10-12" range but was a blast!
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a nice trip. Too bad the boats ruined it. It really bugs me when boats pull up and fish right next to me. It probably took me 30min or more and a lot of sweat to get to my spot, and I can't just haul off and go somewhere else. Fortunately, I haven't had that happen too often.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Breaking fish

Isn't it nice when that happens. I mean the fish, not the boats. Even when I had my boat we would come up slow and above the fish and cut the motor. Some boaters just don't know. At least you got some time working the fish by yourself before the boats. It was like that last year in the South River with rock. I hope it turns on again this year. THANKS FOR THE GOOD REPORT. I might have to give Eastern Bay a go. Years ago schools of bluefish were like that all over the Bay. They would black out a fishfinder from the surface to the bottom at 30 ft, and there were alot of large blue fish. Back in 1988 or so, during the moratorium on rock, the bluefish were large and plentiful, with fish up to 17-19lbs in the upper Bay at times. However, the bluefish stocks have been destroyed. Hopefully they will make a comeback. They are a great light tackle fish.

When I had my boat, we used to fish Thomas Point this time of year for flounder. We had good sucess with bull minnows drifted along the bottom. We would use a typical flounder rig, with one hook below the sinker and one just above. The area around where Fishing Creek comes out to the point is good. This would be on the North side of the point. Drifting across the Fishing Creek channel at several locations would produce flounder if they are there. The channel is easy to mark. There are channel markers. Early in the day and late in the day is also good striper fishing along that channnel. The fish follow the channel into the shallows to feed.

This is why I wished Thomas Point Park was more kayak launching friendly. It is a good flats area and a short paddle to the shipping channel. This is not to mention the light house. When I had my boat, we could always catch fish under the light house, lots of rock and jumbo WP.

This might be a good off season project for us. If we contact our county council members to allow a kayak lauch area to be built. For what it would be worth, we could do it our selves. If the county would allow it. Just a thought. It is an election year.

Comment

pound for pound, bluefish put up the better fight, waay better, compared to rockfish, IMO.

Thomas point park is permit only and do allow kayaks, but it's like a 1/2 mile hike to the water, right?
            sigpic

Comment

Thomas Point

The park does allow for kayak launching. You can park close to the water. However, as I see it, it is launching over rip-rap shoreline. There is one area of sandy beach, but I am not sure how you can get to it. I'll have to drive down there. It has been awhile since I've been there. If the park had a launch area, it would be a perfect area to fish. It is close to very good fishing. The way it is situated, it would almost always have a protected side, except from E-SE winds.

Comment

TTP not launch freindly. fished from shore there and scoped it out for the yak, 2 people might be able to carry thier yaks to the water but i wouldnt try it alone. mostly steep riprap around the whole park.

Comment

too bad they wernt that thick on saturday but thats my luck. should have been here yesterday/ next week they will be here

Comment

Crab alley bay

After your Eastern Bay report, I think I'll have to give it a try. My mother lives on Crab Alley Bay. That may be a good place to fish. Years ago I used to fish off of Parson Island, with some sucess. Maybe the next time there is a West wind or I'm blown off the South River, I'll head that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X