Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak

Some time back someone asked me to post a photo of my kayak. So now that I have a new camera, I have attached a copy of the photo.

Attached Files
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM. Reason: addition

Looks good, Dogfish. That's a Bassyak kit you got, yes? Did you install it yourself or had Bassyak do it for you? Also, how many hours on a charge? Does weather/wave conditions affect run time? If so, what sorta range do you get on a reasonably rough day (when fishin's best )

Sorry for all the questions. I just graduated to a peddle kayak and can see an electric in the future!

Comment

Man, that thing is a destroyer!
      sigpic

Comment

Bassyak

Yes, it is a bassyak 55 lb thrust kit. I did install it myself. It was not that difficult. Only had one slight problem with wiring, where they didn't mention in the instructions, certain color wires to match up with the electronic maximizer. One call to BassYak and they told me the which color wires matched up. Otherwise, a common sense hookup. They are easy people to deal with.

Time on a charge varies. I do alot of trolling. If I go out and constantly troll in low wind/wave conditions, about 5 hours at 3mph, trolling speed. Top speed is about 4mph. Wind and waves do affect the run time. When I'm out bottom fishing, and just moving from one spot to another or moving back up current or up wind, to do another drift, it will last all day. When I am freshwater fishing and just moving along a bank casting, it lasts all day. I use a 31 series deep cycle battery, 105 Amp Hours.

All in all it is a sweet rig. It is wired into the rudder peddles. The steering works just like the rudder did. The kayak will almost turn on itself, within the length of the kayak, on a radical sharp turn. I have the optional remote throttle control, which is wired. I generally keep it on my lap when kayaking. I went electric, because it frees my hands up. The electric motor is quiet, Minnkota. I have noticed a difference of how many fish I catch in the shallows in the South River vs the internal combustion power boats in the same area. When fish are breaking, I can move right up to them and they stay on feeding. Even when the fish are in 10 to 15 of water, I can troll in one area when I find the fish, and it doesn't scatter the fish. Once I find the fish, if they are not on the move, I like to stop and throw Kastmasters, crankbaits and/or bucktails. However, in the open flat areas the fish are often on the move chasing bait. That is why I troll alot, to stay with the fish. I generally troll two rods. If one hooks up, it is easy to handle that and keep moving. Double hookups can be a bit hectic.

I have been thinking of a ProAngler myself. Not for the peddal drive, but for the layout of the boat. I would add the torqueedo electric motor that drops in through the openning where the peddle drive goes, keeping the peddle drive stowed as a backup. The thing about the torqueedo is that the battery only weighs 6 lbs. The down side is the electric motor kit costs about $1800 and a spare battery costs about $500. However, it would be a nice rig. I am thinking about going to a second battery on my present kayak so that my trolling time will be extended. The Big Game Prowler has a 600lb load capacity. I have the room. My only concern is that it may have the kayak sitting some what low in the water. I am going to try. I am going to hook up a 1-2 battery switch to the batteries. That way when one starts to run low, I know its about time to head back with the other battery. Besides, I'll be tired by then. Next spring, trophy striper season will be a blast. I plan on trolling the shipping channel. I have been out there a few times this year, with only mixed sucess, but I started striper fishing late due to working a seasonal job this spring. Work is the downfall of the fishing man.

Hope I answered all you questions, good luck.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Sweet rig there! Looks great!

MYT

Comment

Working...
          X