9/9/12 eastern bay report... rockfish and spanish mackeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/9/12 eastern bay report... rockfish and spanish mackeral

Left the dock at around 8 30 and headed to the mouth of the south river to get spot. They were we got them last time, in a drop off from 7 to 11 feet and back up to 5 feet. We quickly filled the well and ran to eastern bay. we anchored and for an hour nothing and I thought maybe I should add more weight so I put a 4 ounce weight on and as soon as it hit the boat I got hit, 6 seconds ,set the hook and got in a nice 19 incher. After a few more hours with no fish biting but the screen lit up I decided to jig and quickly hooked into a 19-20 inch fish on a sting silver that got off while we were trying to net it. After that I got 3 16-17 inch fish on it but nothing on the bkd. Anyway we decided to troll home from eastern bay and I set out one rod with a number 1 planer and a Clark spoon and another with a number 2 planer and a green/purple drone spoon. Not even 1 minute after I let out the drone spoon it had a fish on and I quickly reeled in a fat 26 inch fish. I can’t believe that rockfish took it at 6 knots! 5 minutes later the drone spoon got hit again and I reeled in a nice 21 inch Mack then we headed home because we had other stuff to do. We saw no breakers today .Tonight’s dinner is rockfish,mackerel and some left over spot that we had that were too big to live line . Oh I almost got squished by the boat today. As we were trying to dock at the marina I jumped off the boat to the dock and missed and fell in and the boat was headed to the pier but luckily I pushed the boat away just in time before getting squished in between the dock and the boat.
    Attached Files

The purple and green drone combo is always the ticket!!

Comment

congrats on the spanish mac....

since this isnt a kayak report, i moved it to the General forum.
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly
        nice catchin and good dinner company! i prefer rock to mackerel. the best i've done with spanish macs so far is milk, house autry, milk, panko, fried. not bad at all! can't go wrong with rock - i have 3 recipes i've been sticking with. 2 of them are no-flip grilled on tinfoil.
        Mackerel fresh from the ocean supposedly makes great sushi, immediately after you catch, but I'm not one for sushi...

Comment

I don't eat fish anyway I think its the most digusting tasta I've ever tasted. My parents eat fish though

Comment

Nice work on the catches and I'm going to give trolling a shot this weekend but you should give fish a shot when you prepare it right. Nothing tastes better than fresh fish. Here was my dinner tonight of grilled tuna I caught last month off of OC after marinated for 30 minutes.
            Attached Files
            Shane
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
            X