Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leesylvania snakehead

about 7lbs

Caught on a falling tide way back in the creek on a black senko, weightless texas rigged. Spotted the infamous snakehead air bubbles 2ft from weedline... cast.. deadstick... line started rippin.. This one torpedoed on me as soon as I set the hook, cleared about 3ft of water

Side note - having no net always makes it interesting
    Attached Files

Nice Fish! Do you know if the snakeheads are active year around?

Comment

Excellent!!!
      Thanks for the report.

I may hit the park after work this week

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

As fast as they grow I definitely think so. Maybe we just need to apply winter tactics like drop shots, reaction baits, spoons, float n fly etc to entice a late fall / winter snakehead.

Comment

Good luck Joe, I'll wait for the video report

Comment

NICE Potomac Pike! Congrats. Gotta get back after them soon before they stop feeding...

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            Nice Fish! Do you know if the snakeheads are active year around?
            I've been told when water temps get below 60 they do not feed. According to:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/channa/argus.php

they prefer 72-80 degrees.

According to:

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/s...d/overview.php

They can live in water from 32 to 88 degrees.

Bill?

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
              Excellent!!!
              Thanks for the report.

I may hit the park after work this week

Joe
              Joe,

I'm a free agent recently (aka out of work). Let me know if you want company!

John

Comment

That's a nice fish, Justin. Congrats on landing one after it jumped. I have yet to do that.

John--I haven't read anything yet about snakehead feeding behavior in the winter. Maybe bdwilliams can shed some light. From a paper on snakehead movements I read, it seems that move toward deeper water (3-5ft) where the bottom is soft or covered with milfoil. They also try to find the warmest water in the winter. Some fish in the tagging study didn't move much at all and were presumed dead until they were found later in in the spring. Here's a thread with some info about spring snakehead fishing:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...for-snakeheads
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I was lucky enough to run into a couple of Game and Fisheries Biologist this spring at Occoquan park after they had been out electro-shocking in the river for snakeheads. They told me that they think they bury thierselfves down into the mud and somewhat hibernate during the winter months. That was from John Odenkirk the head VA biologist. Though he also said that they are early in to the study of the snakeheads and there is alot still unknown.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about... Beast looks 20lbs

Attached Files

Comment

Whoa! That is a beast! Not sure I'd want something like that thrashing around inside my kayak.

Comment

Working...
                      X