Bay Bridge 9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 9/11

I took my father out Saturday morning to the Bay Bridge for his first time kayak fishing for Rock. We were joined by Kanvery and his father (who is also new to the sport). Weather was great, little choppy, but it looked like we were going to be able to get on some fish.

Found spot at the usual spot, took longer than normal though, I think they are clearing out. Had some fun watching my Dad realize that casting, feeling the bottom, setting the hook, and reeling a fish in was a lot harder than he thought it'd be from a kayak with the wind/waves/current pushing him around. I had about 15 in my livewell and he got about 5 when we decided to head for the pilings.

First drop picked up an 18'' immediately, before I could even get the reel in gear! I let it go thinking we'd be on fish all morning. I looked over at this point and see Kanvery's Dad holding up a fish! Success. The piling I'd put my dad on wasn't as productive and we moved around. I dropped another one after getting him set up and boom, big fish on! Measured about 32/33 on my paddle, but it was difficult to measure properly and I think it would have stretched larger at home. It was a big fish, my best from the kayak thus far. I was pumped and had now secured lunch for the next day!

About this time I looked over and saw Kanvery battling a large fish out between the spans, looked like a hoss because it had his rod way down in the water... it was! Looked longer than mine and I think it stretched 34''. Way to go on that one!

I then started trying to jig the area next to my dad thinking he'd be on a fish soon. He was having a very difficult time staying next to the pilings and keeping his spot at the right depth. I think he lost about 10 rigs + sinkers and started to get frustrated. He encouraged me to start fishing again... so I did and I got another 27/28'' fish that I also put on my game clip thinking that it was under the 28" and if not, then it was his fish... About this time the tide started to slack and we lost the bite.

Then I got the great idea to try and compare who's fish is bigger and I paid for it! The weight of the two fish (probably in the 25lb+ range) bent the game hook I had them on straight and both fish dropped and swam off immediately. I was crushed! After awhile I got over it and I was glad to have released the larger fish and that they were so frisky, but I still needed fillets for lunch on Sunday! We tried all afternoon to get my dad his first rock from the kayak but it wasn't in the cards. I got 2 more in the afternoon, both covered in sores though. The second one wasn't that bad and I was considering it... but it flipped out of my hands and in the water. Just the way the day was going I guess. I had three more spit the hook at me by the boat, one looked like a massive blue and came during the time the blitz drifted down to me. I wish I would have gotten it in, I've never caught a sizable blue in the bay.

Ended the day around 5, which was about 10 hours in the seat for my dad which was too much probably. I caught a lot of spot over the course of the day (probably 30), a few white perch (one was 10"), about 10 blues that drifter their blitz down towards the pilings I was working, and 5 rock. 0 fish for lunch. Great day on the water with my dad though, sorry to have to miss the M&G. Saw Chimo on the way out though and got a report from him, sounded like another nice turn out.

Here's some shots-

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvSA8jia5F4

Comment

Play by play

Redfish, you would be great at play by play announcing. Sounds like a good day. Just before I went to work on Saturday, I was thinking what a great day on the Bay it must be. Glad you had good luck.

Comment

Awesome report. Sounds like it was a nice outing with excellent catching. Sorry you lost the bigguns. So much it for being a "big game" clip, but how often can you say you broke something because the fish were too big. I wish I had that problem.

I can't seem to put my father on fish, either, especially this year. I'm not sure why that is.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great pics and report. We missed you guys at the M&G.

That sucks about the clip and the lost fish. If there is a bright side to this at least they swam away and didn't sink. Those clips are great at keeping the fish alive. Maybe they should make a version out of ReBar for those pigs you keep catching

Its a great day anytime you can spend the day fishing with your father, fish or not.

I see you have the shimano loaded up and fishing. How did it work for you?

Comment

Awesome report and fish!

TJ

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              I took my father out Saturday morning to the Bay Bridge for his first time kayak fishing for Rock. We were joined by Kanvery and his father (who is also new to the sport). Weather was great, little choppy, but it looked like we were going to be able to get on some fish.

Found spot at the usual spot, took longer than normal though, I think they are clearing out. Had some fun watching my Dad realize that casting, feeling the bottom, setting the hook, and reeling a fish in was a lot harder than he thought it'd be from a kayak with the wind/waves/current pushing him around. I had about 15 in my livewell and he got about 5 when we decided to head for the pilings.

First drop picked up an 18'' immediately, before I could even get the reel in gear! I let it go thinking we'd be on fish all morning. I looked over at this point and see Kanvery's Dad holding up a fish! Success. The piling I'd put my dad on wasn't as productive and we moved around. I dropped another one after getting him set up and boom, big fish on! Measured about 32/33 on my paddle, but it was difficult to measure properly and I think it would have stretched larger at home. It was a big fish, my best from the kayak thus far. I was pumped and had now secured lunch for the next day!

About this time I looked over and saw Kanvery battling a large fish out between the spans, looked like a hoss because it had his rod way down in the water... it was! Looked longer than mine and I think it stretched 34''. Way to go on that one!

I then started trying to jig the area next to my dad thinking he'd be on a fish soon. He was having a very difficult time staying next to the pilings and keeping his spot at the right depth. I think he lost about 10 rigs + sinkers and started to get frustrated. He encouraged me to start fishing again... so I did and I got another 27/28'' fish that I also put on my game clip thinking that it was under the 28" and if not, then it was his fish... About this time the tide started to slack and we lost the bite.

Then I got the great idea to try and compare who's fish is bigger and I paid for it! The weight of the two fish (probably in the 25lb+ range) bent the game hook I had them on straight and both fish dropped and swam off immediately. I was crushed! After awhile I got over it and I was glad to have released the larger fish and that they were so frisky, but I still needed fillets for lunch on Sunday! We tried all afternoon to get my dad his first rock from the kayak but it wasn't in the cards. I got 2 more in the afternoon, both covered in sores though. The second one wasn't that bad and I was considering it... but it flipped out of my hands and in the water. Just the way the day was going I guess. I had three more spit the hook at me by the boat, one looked like a massive blue and came during the time the blitz drifted down to me. I wish I would have gotten it in, I've never caught a sizable blue in the bay.

Ended the day around 5, which was about 10 hours in the seat for my dad which was too much probably. I caught a lot of spot over the course of the day (probably 30), a few white perch (one was 10"), about 10 blues that drifter their blitz down towards the pilings I was working, and 5 rock. 0 fish for lunch. Great day on the water with my dad though, sorry to have to miss the M&G. Saw Chimo on the way out though and got a report from him, sounded like another nice turn out.

Here's some shots-

Comment

Yeah it sucked to loose the fish for sure, but it was my own fault. After further review... it would seem my use of a game clip could be considered culling and I should cease this practice. At least it's getting colder and I won't have to worry about the fish spoiling in the heat. I have a decent sized cooler bag in my rod pod but it can only hold about a 24" fish... oh well!

That Cardiff is the 401a (with the clicker) and it is freaking awesome. The drag is much smoother than my Pflueger and the thumb release functions perfectly (also a problem of my pflueger and other similar re-branded reels). I am planning on picking another one up in L hand retrieve for the other side of my boat. The goal was to get a big enough spread of live-lining rods so that I can fish smith mountain lake properly with planers and downlines. I'd say I'm well on my way. I still haven't used the other Cardiff as JFFoley said he wanted it. I did spool it up with Power Pro and practiced casting in the yard... I think I'll keep it if John doesn't want it. I think it's more comfortable than my Revo.

All in all it was a great day out on the water and I think I have my Dad hooked!

One other note, I'm switching back to braid. I lost too many fish on Saturday to justify continuing to use mono. I upped the Cardiff to 20lb but I guess I need to check my line more often because I had several breakoffs on nice fish.

Comment

Redfish

My family spent a week on Smith Moutain Lake late July, I found there were too many jet ski's, water skier's and pontoon boats, some days the swell was worse on the lake that at the bay bridge because of all the boats. Did try early morning at Becky's Creek for stripers but had the best luck fishing for smallies late evening when no boats around. Where do you usually fish on the lake?

Bryan

Comment

Nice catching, Michael & Jack! And time with dad, too! WTG!! We missed you at the M&G but understandable getting time in with dad(s). Cherish every one of those outings. Great pics, too!

...I still haven't used the other Cardiff as JFFoley said he wanted it. I did spool it up with Power Pro and practiced casting in the yard... I think I'll keep it if John doesn't want it. I think it's more comfortable than my Revo...
                    Definitely still interested but possession is 9/10ths! If you're still downsizing I'm still up for it. Tell ya what, I'll trade you the sticker I have for you for it! But seriously, if you're keeping it, you're keeping it. No worries...

The stickers did come out awesome. Kudos to fjarhead! They look great!

Comment

Bryan - SML is a tough lake to fish for Stripers from a kayak. The fish move around a lot and really don't adhere to structure like they do on the bay. Best bet is cast net some alewife shad or some small gizzard shad and paddle them around long main channel points in the morning or evening this time of year. You can occasionally find some schools that you can jig fish out of, but they move fast and it's pretty tough from the kayak. I've yet to score a striper from the kayak there actually.

I went out a few weeks ago and marked a lot of fish in about 50 ft of water above the tree line (sml is full of old forests and houses/roads that were there when they flooded the lake) and didn't have a hook up. It was a lot of work too. I trolled some deep diving cranks and tried pretty hard to cast net some shad (fell out a couple of times trying to stand and throw a cast net, god bless the rod pod...) to no avail. From a boat most will either slow troll live bait at about .5/.7 mph (perfect for a kayak) on planer boards (3 to a side), downlines (1 or 2 a side), and then put a couple of redi-rig floats with live baits behind the boat- all at different depths - depending on the time of year/thermocline. So that's about 12 baits if you put the whole spread out... hard to imagine not catching a Striper! It happens though, some days the swamp monkey or fluke is the only thing people catch on. Other popular methods in addition to jigging or live-bait is to troll umbrellas or sutton spoons on a three-way with a bucktail below. It's pretty tough to move around to the different areas of the lake on a kayak, so you got to get pretty lucky. I'm going to be back down there in October and I'm hoping to get lucky and locate some schools on top or jiggable. Alewife shad are pretty impossible to keep alive on a kayak, even with a nice pump you'd probably only be able to keep less than a half dozen at a time.

Sorry for the long winded response... but it's been a goal of mine ever since I got a kayak to try and catch one down there, no luck so far. Our house is by the Hales Ford Bridge so I fish the area around there up to about 2 or 3 miles from the bridge... guess I'll have to keep paddling.

Comment

John- Sorry to have to miss the M&G, but the father/son time was well worth it and I know something we'll be talking about for a long time. My dad is fly-fishing focused but I had him pretty fired up when I lifted that big fish up on Saturday. I think we may have a convert.

About downsizing... after some garage re-organizing... it's looking like I have room for lots of more stuff! But if you want the cardiff, it's yours, I know you'll get more use out of it than I will. I think the last thing I need is a decent spinning rod than can handle a fish over 35". I have one but I don't really like it. Any recommendations guys?

I'm in SC for work till next week, want to try and hit gravely when I get back if there is an out going evening tide?
                        Last edited by Redfish12; 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

John- Sorry to have to miss the M&G, but the father/son time was well worth it and I know something we'll be talking about for a long time. My dad is fly-fishing focused but I had him pretty fired up when I lifted that big fish up on Saturday. I think we may have a convert.
                          Hey, no apologies there. Any time with dad well worth it and should take priority. Glad you had a good time. When we get into October get your dad (and his fly rod!) out again on some breakers. He'll really enjoy that!

About downsizing... after some garage re-organizing... it's looking like I have room for lots of more stuff! But if you want the cardiff, it's yours, I know you'll get more use out of it than I will. I think the last thing I need is a decent spinning rod than can handle a fish over 35". I have one but I don't really like it. Any recommendations guys?
                          I have an 8' Fisher medium (up to 1oz, maybe 1 1/4oz) fast action custom that I use for bay and surf plugging. It's matched with a Penn 450SS and 10lb Ande mono. Can toss a Zara super spook a mile. The fish over my fireplace was taken in the Sandy Hook, NJ surf on that outfit. 48" and 45lbs. It'll handle some biguns!

I'm in SC for work till next week, want to try and hit gravely when I get back if there is an out going evening tide?
                          I'm game. The Riverbend smallie action is heating up, too. Let's plan some after work outings!

Comment

After work outings sound great, I'll let you know when I get back. I'm also interested in possibly hitting 301 again to look for flounder/rock. Last year in october the guy I fish with caught a 24'' flounder at number 6 (which is much further up the river).

I've been out a few times down there lately and have had decent luck at the places I know (4 keepers thus far), from a boat. Nothing at 1 though, but I got my bearings back on how to find it so that should help. Did you ever get your depthfinder working? Let me know if find a place to get cheap humminbird mounts.

Comment

Working...
                            X