Poll - Best Month on Bay for Fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll - Best Month on Bay for Fishing?

If you had to catch one rockfish, one bluefish and one white perch in one day to complete a "slam" what month do you think would give you the best opportunity? Fishing the bay and tributaries from kayak using only public boat ramps for access, area limited to bay bridge/SPSP south and north of Sharp's Island?
    April
    8.33%
    May
    0.00%
    June
    0.00%
    July
    0.00%
    August
    16.67%
    September
    75.00%

The poll is expired.

Since you included bluefish it's gotta be late summer. I vote August...

Comment

There were blitzes everywhere yesterday of bluefish and some rock below them. I didn't stray from the pilings much, but several times the blitz drifted back to me and I was able to pick off about 10 blues while live-lining on another rod.

I vote September- I caught rock, blue, white perch, and spot yesterday out there.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I would say Late Aug or Sep as well.

Comment

Me and the missus were driving across the Bay Bridge yesterday about 11am on our way home from the M&G & camping (got rained on in the morning Not bad really. New tent this year with a full length fly ) Spotted numerous pods of breakers with birds working 'em. Not one boat or kayaker on 'em either. All on the eastern side over towards the sewer pipe. I'm sure the blues are thick now.

Michael, Any size to the bluefish you encountered?

Comment

May - June Slam

Consensus is pretty strong that Aug - Sept is best for rock, blue, wp slam. What would be best slam for May-June fishing tournament? Possibly rock, wp, croaker?

Comment

maybe croaker, depends on what part of the bay, i know guys that were catching croaker as early as april at PLO but not in the middle bay area.

Comment

The biggest blue I landed was about 18" and came from lower in the water column. I only had a crocodile with a treble on it with me and after that big one I got tired of catching blues because I was hooking them with all three hooks sometimes. Most were about 9-14". I need to change out the trebles on those lures, what do you guys use? The single hook that came with the crocodile was a piece of crap so I threw it out.

I think we started catching croaker in late april in the Potomac. I'd say you've either got to fish for the winter fish coming up the Potomac or bay in march/april or in april/may on the way out if you want to target rock earlier in the year. It'd have to be catch and release though. I think if you want to do a tournament, there is no better time then late aug-late sept for catching decent fish from a kayak in the bay...
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Tidewater Kayaking always has their tournament at the end of Sept. Will have to look at my work schedule to see if I could get something set up next fall. Definately willing to set something up for late May or June. Possibly just do a "friendly" tournament for Maryland Kayak Fishing members only, with a cash prize and some money to a charity, see how it goes, believe we could get several sponsors. I am thinking the second week in June, maybe do rockfish, croaker and white perch.

Comment

Working...
                  X