Topsail Island, NC Labor Day Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topsail Island, NC Labor Day Weekend

Went down with a good friend of mine to visit another buddy and his fiance stationed at Camp Lejeune. Left Saturday morning and headed to Their house in Top Sail Island on the ocean with a pier and canal access in the backyard. First time to this place and thought it was pretty similar to the Outer Banks but less commercial and more houses. My buddies boat was broken and I rode with my friend Josh to get down there so no kayaks were taken. At the dock we threw cast nets for live bait and the hot ticket this weekend was live finger mullet. We fished from shore at a main section of the canal and live lined the mullet and a few shrimp on fish finder rigs and hung on a popping cork. My friend Bre broke the ice as soon as we got out there when she said "I'm stuck" and it looked like she was. Then it started taking drag and she pulled up a fat 21'' flounder. Her first keeper and a delicious lunch on Sunday. Over the next two days there was a lot of cold beers and lines in the water. Ended up with a mixed bag and a small keeper flounder for me Sunday. Caught redfish, two species of flounder, toadfish, and sea bass. The one picture of Josh and I shows a good color comparison between the Southern Flounder(light) and the Summer Flounder(dark). Definitely a fun trip but if I make it down again I'll be sure to bring the Yaks.

]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reelaxin10; 09-04-2012, 12:40 AM.
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Reel - I will be headed down there for Thanksgiving this year and plan on bringing the yak. Let me know if you are feeling froggy enough to visit your friend again and we can meet up. I probably wont be able to keep up with you in that PA you have though!
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice shane. Whats years did you play lax for Villa Julie? I'm guessing that VJC?

Comment

Very cool. Congrats on the nice catches. How do southern flounder taste compared to summer flounder?
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Keith- I most likely won't head down again around Thanksgiving but if plans change I'll for sure let you know. I heard it stays nice down there until pretty late in the fall so hopefully you'll have good weather and good fishing. I have the Outback not the PA but it is still sooo nice to have the mirage drive. Try and keep up!

Matt- You're right VJC was Villa Julie College. I played at Villa Julie for the 07-08 seasons and then the school changed over to Stevenson University where I played both 09-10 seasons.

Bill- Honestly we didn't eat the Southern Flounder because it was only about 12'', but the summer flounder which is the only species I've eaten was delicious pan fried and put on a potato roll.
          Shane
          Hobie Outback

Comment

Cool man, my roommate chris and I went to St. Mary's College... I played baseball, but he played lax.

Comment

O nice, yea we played you guys many times being in the same conference. What year did you graduate?
              Shane
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
                O nice, yea we played you guys many times being in the same conference. What year did you graduate?
                '11 Chris was #3 he played attack

Comment

I was #10 played midfield and graduated '10; small world man, Chris and I definitely played against each other
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X