newbee on the bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbee on the bay

hello guys. new to kayaking . been in the susquehana and caught some nice smallies and stripers. wana do some fishing in bay maybe around the bridge or casting the shoreline around rockhall or east neck island. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Bay fishing

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to learn. I have not been on here that long myself There are lots of knowledgeable kayakers here. I have been fishing the Bay all my life and kayak fishing for about 4-years.

Sound like most of the action is at the Bay Bridge. Live line fishing seems to dominate most of that area. I am not one for the Bay Bridge, but there are others that will guide you in that regard. However, as the water cools the fish will move up into the rivers, creeks, flats and shallows in pursuit of the young of the year menhaden. This is when the fun begins. There will be breakers, which can be caught by casting spoons and bucktails or by trolling. I like to troll small crankbaits. That can be very productive. Also, trolled bucktails are a good choice. By trolling you can narrow down an area to fish. Once you find the fish, if they are not too scattered, they are there for a reason and you can concentrate on that area, in a manner of your choice. Just remember structure is an essential element. Even if it is just a ledge or drop off. That may be enough to hold fish. Depends on tide and current direction. A moving tide generally turns on the bite. A change in tide may necessitate a change in the area where you are fishing.

Good Luck.

Comment

Welcome!! I'm new to kayak fishing this year myself and I'm all in. I've fished the bay via boat for several seasons and have done a lot of surf fishing in my time. Dogfish is right about the Bay Bridge. Can't miss livelining there and a few other spots. But I'm like him and would rather cast or jig for them. But if you want a shot at a nice striper livelining is tough to beat.

I also appreciate smallmouth fishing as well. Usually on the Potomac but recently have hit the Shenandoah. Where're ya at on the Susquehanna? Here's a link with a forum focused on kayak fishing there: http://susquehannafishing.com/

The group here has been gathering once a month on the 2nd Saturday for a group meet & greet, fishing, lunch get together. Hope to see you at one soon!

Comment

fing the susqe

hello. where you guys meet at? me and my cousin tommy fish the susqe up at port deposit right below the conawingo dam. every weekend ussualy on saturday morning. have alot of fun. wana fish the bay and very curious about what everybody uses. i have fish the bay in a boat and cast the shoreline with alot of luck wana try it in a yak.

Comment

Welcome, thanks for joining. I've fished fort deposit a couple times for shad, lots of fun when they are running. Right now, live lining is hot at the bay bridge. You can either put in at Sandy Point, or across the bay bridge at hemingways.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Hey Cuz

Just joined the group also. See ya Sat. Morning

Comment

Working...
            X