Big Sheepie! CBBT Sat, 9-1-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sheepie! CBBT Sat, 9-1-12

After a good day at HRBT yesterday, I was ready and anxious for CBBT. Was on the water at 0630 hrs. Water was calm. Light breeze. The day was partly cloudy. Overall, a nice day. A number of yakers were out.

With two dozen fiddler crabs, I went out toward the 1st island and jigged along the pilings with my usual jig and curly tail. I wanted to try for flounder first. Caught a weakfish, bluefish, short redfish (15"), toads and sea bass. After about two hours, I switched to fiddlers.

Something kept stealing my crabs. Maybe toads, but I kept rebaiting. At 0930 hrs, BAM! My rod bent over. I had something big. I reeled in, then it pulled down hard. My Calcutta 200B baitcaster spool gave up a couple yards. I reeled it up again, but before I knew it, the line went slack. Dang! Shoot! Dang! It threw the hook. Dang! I was so disappointed. I thought I would probably never get a chance again. Dang! Ohhh.......the pain....sniff, sniff.

I rebaited and went back to the same piling. About 0945 hrs, 15 minutes after the first hook up, BAM! I set the hook, and fish on! It pulled hard taking several feet off the spool. I reeled up, but the fish went the other way. Down. More line was pulled. Surprisingly, it didn't go to the pilings. It went away from pilings, out to open water. I thought this was great because I don't have to worry about the rocks. I tighten the drag, but it still pulled hard again.

I thought, "Could this be the one that got away just 15 minutes ago?" The fight went on. The fish gave a little, so I reeled up more line. Down again it went. Strong pull. I had a little sleight ride, but most of the pulls were straight down. The Bionic Blade rod was bent over silly. By then, the drag was full on and the fish still took line. I didn't worry too much. I had 25# mono main line and 50# mono leader with a 2/0 hook.

It finally surfaced, and "Yes!," it was a big sheepie. I netted it and pulled it onboard. Phew! I couldn't believe it. My first sheepie. I was so excited. That was the best dang fight on the yak I ever had. I was so "high" from catching the beast. I couldn't get over it. Well, I finally recovered and went back to the same piling.

After another 15 minutes, the familiar tap-tap was felt again. I set the hook. Again, it was a big one! Spun my spool. I tighten the drag, and my rod bent over hard. I thought, "Could this be another big one I land?" Nope. After a short fight, the hook came off. Oh, well........

After that, I ran out of fiddlers and went on to jig for flounder. I caught a couple more toads. I was still "high" on the sheepie (now I know why sheepsheads are so much fun to catch). Anyway, the tide went slack and the bites died down so I called it a day just before 3 pm.

I went to Oceans East II for a citation (minimum is 10 pounds). My sheepie was 24", 11 lbs 4 oz.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 09-02-2012, 12:39 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Yikes! Those teeth creep me out! Cool fish.

Comment

Nice report and nice fish. After catching a fish like that I can understand how you can make that trip so often.

Comment

Congrats Can't wait to get down there for TKAA.

Comment

Man TKAA weekend can't come any sooner.

Comment

Awesome! How did it taste?
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

WTG Tufnik!!! I had planned on making my passage to the Chesapeake Bay "Promised Land". But it didn't happen. Hopefully I will get down there before the year is out!

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                Awesome! How did it taste?
                People say it's very tasty. Well, they're absolutely right! First time I ate Sheepie. Mild tasting, not at all fishy. You could use any sauce with it, but I don't usually use any sauce with good fish. I ate it straight from the pan (only flour-coated, with salt/pepper, and fried). Excellent! (Reminds me of tog)

The other fish in the pic is the speckled trout I caught Friday. Also very tasty!

Am looking forward to TKAA too. MTYM, that'll be a good time to go to the "Promised Land (of fishing)" .....lol...
                Attached Files
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice!! Hell of a first sheepshead... I always get a chuckle when I see those teeth.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Congrats on the sheepshead paper. All your hard work and effort really paid off. That's nice fish.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                    X