Quest for Flounder......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for Flounder......

I will be heading to Point Lookout tomorrow morning to try and catch some flounder if anyone's interested. Looks like they are calling for showers so it might be a wet one but I'm going anyway.

I plan on putting in around 7:00 and heading out to cornfield harbor for some jigging and dragging a strip of squid. I have only caught 1 6" dink this year and I'm on a mission

Hopefully the croaker are still there in case the flounder shy away again

I only got one keeper there and a bunch of hardhead but that was back in June. Green was the ticket then, not the chartreuse but the Delaware green. It was the only rod that got any hits from the flatties. Water in the bay was very clear today and seemed to be in the Potomac on Sunday. I'd say even with a chance of showers you should have a shot. Are you going to head to the NOAA buoy or the radio tower? They are kinda far out of the inlet,but doable. Let us know how you do! Maybe even some puppy drum in the lake, should be by now.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

OK guys next M&G CHSP your best bet for flounder and not much further than PLO. camping or hotels are every where, bring the wives and kids the shore is still great in early oct. im going to camp out on friday night-sunday, depending on the weather of course

Comment

Ok I'm back, Shivering and soaking wet.

It was a long grind today. I started out around 10:00AM hoping to miss some of the early AM showers. Well i didn't. It drizzled all day long. I got out to cornfield Harbor and it was nasty and empty. Not another fool around except me. Wind 10 to 15 and swells ranging from 1 ft to 3 ft rollers. The wind was pushing up the river mouth with the incoming tide. It was hard fishing to say the least.

I started in 16 to 20 ft of water and drifted a squid strip on the bottom and jigged a Fish Bite green bassin assassin. Saw them at the tackle box so i decided to try them.

It did not work out well in the deeper water. I was drifting to fast to jig and any flounder that did show interest in my squid would have a hard time eating it while it was moving that fast. I had several hits but could not give the fish enough time to eat it. I also lost what felt like a nice flounder on the jig after a 1 min battle. Could have been my keeper

After 2 quarter mile drifts i decided to head in closer to shore to try my luck. I tried the 10 to 12 ft range. This was much easier to fish. The wind died down a little but the larger swells were still present. I used the same tactics and managed 1 croaker around 11" and a Blue around 15". I made 4 or 5 drifts in this area trolling a grub at the end of each drift to no avail.

Around 3:30pm i made my way back into the inlet and fished the lake area. I put the bait away and grabbed a 3" Gulp swimming Mullet (White) and a 1/4 jig hopping for a Puppy drum. First cast to the grass bead and i get a Tap. Set the hook to what i think is a spot and presto. A 6" Speck is hanging off the line. First of the year. Put my rod on the side of the boat While I'm realising the little fellow and it gets hit right next to the boat. Look what i caught.

Quite the monster fluke

Well i fished the back bay area for another 2 hrs with no more luck. There were big blues smashing bait all over the Back area. A couple left the water and looked to be in the 5-6lb range. They wanted nothing to do with me. II was kicking my self for not bringing any poppers. That might have pissed them off enough to hit

So in conclusion spent 7 hrs on the water today. I caught 1 blue, 1 croaker, 1 flounder and 1 trout. I also caught one bad case of Freddy Kruger hands

The blue and croaker are sitting on my plate right now looking tasty...

Oh and i took a couple quick video with my phone. First time trying it.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...cture008-2.mp4

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...cture009-2.mp4

Comment

I was wondering if you went out yesterday. We had about an inch of rain at my house in Great Mills--that made my honey-do list look more appealing. Sounds like you had some action even if it was pretty miserable all day. Congrats on the speck. It's been ages since I've caught one. I've chased those blues in Lake Conoy, and they can be pretty discriminating about what they hit. I've caught them on a Gulp grub, which I casted because I had it handy. Sometimes it's just a matter of reeling fast enough so the lure rips across the surface. Another trick that has worked several times is to leave a rod in a rod holder with a spoon dangling in the water. The blues aren't too shy if you're not making a lot of noise, and they'll come up and hit it. If you're fighting a fish, another will sometimes follow it in and hit the spoon. That can be really chaotic, though.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I hear you about the blue there. They were smashing bait all around me. One scared the crap outta me by smashing one right next to the boat in 2ft of water

I did not bring enough artificial's. I only had a couple soft plastics. I tried ripping it around the edges and got one to follow a short distance. They were just mocking me i think

I'm going to reevaluate my decision to go minimal with tackle now. The last couple trips have been frustrating when i go to the tackle bag and find out i took half the stuff out.

I think i might have to look into a new tackle storage system for the tarpon. I need to keep everything below deck in the center hatch. I saw pics of people placing pool noodles under the deck to create a area to store multiple Plano boxes. The last thing i need is to have my box slide to the back of the boat and outta hand while 1/2 mile off shore

I was looking a building a crate for the boat but I'm too chubby to twist around or hang my legs off the side of this boat. I either need to lose 50lbs or get an outback
            Last edited by mmanolis2001; 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
              I think i might have to look into a new tackle storage system for the tarpon. I need to keep everything below deck in the center hatch. I saw pics of people placing pool noodles under the deck to create a area to store multiple Plano boxes. The last thing i need is to have my box slide to the back of the boat and outta hand while 1/2 mile off shore
              Somewhere on a DIY forum I spotted a guy who made an internal anchor trolley system for his tackle boxes. He attached a couple carabiners to the line. He then attached tackle boxes that have a tab with a hole to the carabiner. Sorta like a clothes line. Pretty ingenious...

Comment

nice work! too crappy for me.

i siliconed a anti-skid mat inside my revos center hatch to keep the planos and drybag from sliding around on the water works great. i can get 9x3x5 boxes, walmart dry box,drybag, and 2 double sided plano tackle holders velcroed together inside.

best not to take the hopkins or kastmasters out of the tackle bag when it blues season. blues are suckers for flashy metal

Comment

Kayak tackle

Welcome to my nightmare. I have been kayak fishing for 4-years now, and I still can't come to a conclusion about tackle storage. I am one of those guys that likes to take alot of tackle with me. Sometimes conditions change, and I like to be prepared. I have done that with my boat and now with kayaks. Only with kayaks it is more complex.

The OK Big Game Prowler has a hatch right in front of where I sit, I like to keep a cooler in there, along with my safety gear. I have come down to using a cooler in the crate in the back of the kayak for tackle or two of the extra large orange Plano boating/ammo type containers in the cargo area. However, when I use the orange boxes, they take up the entire rear of the kayak and eliminates the crate. I tried the clear plano boxes inside the kayak, but that is a pain going into the hatch, when making a tackle change. It's a toss-up as to what is best. It is just not a simple solution. With the tackle in larger boxes in the rear of the kayak, that requires turning around and reaching around whatever other rods I have with me. Thats another weakness I have, I like to take alot of rods with me. I am one of those guys that has a rod for every reason.

On one of the other headings, for kayak rigging, I recently posted a photo of my kayak. In that photo, as now, I just use a tackle bag and throw it up on the bow hatch. I stays there nice. Maybe thats my solution. I just recently noticed a waterproof tackle box by plano. It is designed to hold about four of the plano clear boxes. I might take a look at that, next time I go to bass pro. It is like a flexible rubber type of box. It might stay up on the bow nicely. This tackle problem is just a bay and saltwater dilemma for me. When freshwater fishing, I just throw the all the freshwater tackle bags in the crate. No problem. There are just too many variables when saltwater fishing, while keeping everything dry as possible. I am also the guy who likes the saying, "keep it simple." Yet, I seem to be the first on to abandon that mantra.

The tackle trolly seems a bit problematic. The next thing we'll hear is that kayakers are hooking up small motors to the tackle trolly. It would be like the trolly that drycleaners use.

Although, mmanolis, I did like that Gulp Alive Swimming Fluke lure you were using. It was so life like.
                  Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM. Reason: error

Comment

i cut a pool noodle in half and glued it forward and rear of the center hatch so anything i put in there is within reach. all my tackle fits below deck.
                    sigpic

Comment

Pool noodles

I did something similar. I have a few pool noodles strung in an oval arangement around the tubes of the scuppers below deck. I used zip ties to put the noodles together in the oval, about 6 or 7 noodles altogether. I got the idea somewhere on the internet, with the concept of added floatation. However, I later realized they also kept things from shifting out of reach.

Another, second use is, if the boat is punctured, the pool noodles will hopefully keep the me high afloat and the Bull Sharks out.

Comment

Tackle

I know, I might give the below deck thing a second try. Although, having the cooler in below, right there in the hatch is handy. I like to keep my beer close at hand. As I said in a previous thread, I'm built for comfort, not for speed.

Comment

Amen to that!

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            I like to keep my beer close at hand.
                            Ditto!

Here's a test... who all knows the origin of the word ditto? Not fair checking google or other web sources...

Comment

Hmmm... I'm gonna guess it has to do with the early photocopiers. When I was in elementary school, the teachers referred to our handouts as "dittos". I can't remember what "ditto" is short for, though.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X