Shenandoah River - South Fork 8/26/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenandoah River - South Fork 8/26/12

Fished the south fork of the Shenandoah river yesterday with one of my brothers and a neighbor. Was a really fun day on the river despite regular intervals of heavy rains.. We started the trip putting in at Guest Shenandoah State Park outside of Front Royal Virginia and taking out at mile marker 47 a 7 mile float. I was rigged with two medium action rods and two full buckets of chicken livers plus my trusty ultralite. The name of the game today was paddle and fish the ultralite for bass and panfish and work the deeper poles and holes for large channel catfish.

Fish totals for the day.

Meadeo - 10 Smallmouth bass largest at 14" all of the smallies were fat and healthy which was great to see.. I also managed at least twodozen fat redbreasts i am talking 8-10 inch fish athalf to three qaurters of a lb. The real action of the day for myself was two channel cats at 26" and 7-8lb range.

Brother - Did much better on the Smallmouth and Largemouth landing 30+ combined with several fish over 17".

Neighbor was more or less just watching us fish and enjoying some cold beers on the river...

Here is a couple of high light photos of the trip..

Meadeo
    Attached Files
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Sounds like a great trip! I hear the 'doah is fishing well this year!

Comment

Havent been on the shenny since high school, I also havent caught a smallie this year.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice feesh. I have some friends that live near that park and have fished it from shore but always wanted to hit it from a yak. Was there a ramp where you pulled out, or was it just where the river swings by a road?
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Pinch,

Jake and I are going to hit the Potomac for smallies this holiday weekend. Do you want to join us?

Tom

Comment

I leave for California again on Sunday and will be in VB Wednesday to Friday night. If I am not too tired Saturday Ill let you know.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
              I leave for California again on Sunday and will be in VB Wednesday to Friday night. If I am not too tired Saturday Ill let you know.
              Sounds good Pinch.

Comment

Meadeo how you like the Ride that you bought this year?

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                  Nice feesh. I have some friends that live near that park and have fished it from shore but always wanted to hit it from a yak. Was there a ramp where you pulled out, or was it just where the river swings by a road?
                  There is a launch site right next to Gooney creek at the takeout good access for Canoe and Kayak.

Meadeo

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                    Meadeo how you like the Ride that you bought this year?
                    Love it!

Comment

love that river, very scenic during the week with little traffic on the water. Those red breasted sun fish can put up a good fight on small gear and taste good too.

Comment

Meadeo,
                        Glad to see your post. I know you fish two-threetimes a week.

joe
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                        X