Shenandoah River State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenandoah River State Park

Me, the missus and our little Boston Terrier, Sophie spent Sunday through yesterday camping at the Shenandoah River State Park in Bentonville, VA. If you're into camping and have never been here we highly recommend it. In short, this trip was awesome. Weather was great, the river, valley and mountains beautiful, great wildlife watching plus some decent fishing.

I was excited when we first arrived and, after getting camp set up went right to the river. A little too early as it was still very bright out. Managed lots of small smallmouth (4-6" variety, biggest 8") and bluegills. 2 almost hand sized. Fun on light spinning gear. Most on small tube lures, twister tails and floating perch Rapala. Monday evening I waited a bit later and went down with the fly rod but not very successful. Just a couple. Went back to the light spinning gear and my trusty perch patterned Rapala and started catching again.

On Tuesday, we hired Downriver Canoe to shuttle us and our kayaks to a place called Burner's Ford. We did an all day float and had the river to ourselves. Only saw 2 other kayakers (non-fishermen) and 2 people in a canoe. My expectations on the fishing were low since I was out in the middle of the day the river is low. But I learned quickly to work the shaded, downstream side of riffles with a tube lure and had some luck on the smallies. Nothing great as my wife is a non-fisherperson so it was also about the float experience together, the scenery and wildlife sightings: Bald eagle, Ospreys (saw one do an unsuccessful dive and another later eating his catch), vultures, Great Blue & Little Green Herons, many, many turtles, lots of fish to be seen, crayfish, etc. We stopped for lunch along the way and I was able to wade fish for a short time. I caught 2 nice ones and missed another. Overall, I caught a half dozen smallmouth 10-12" and one 14". Saw some real beauties well over that size. Of course, by the time I saw them they had long seen me and were exiting stage right! Some big catfish as well. Forgot to bring my SD card to work so will post a few pics later...

This park is a jewel. ( http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/and.shtml ) Developed only a few years ago so all the facilities are new and very clean. We like tent camping and there are only 10 tent sites near the river. You cannot drive your vehicle to the site. We were surprised by this but it's not an issue. The park supplies large wagons to transport your gear and it's not that far to all the sites. The trails are wide and smooth. The sites are well spread out and not on top of one another at all. Only 58 miles from our home and we wondered how we hadn't gotten there yet! We will go back often now that we have.

The float from Burner's was a great experience. Next time though, I'll leave the missus at camp so I can focus more on the fishing!

Smallmouth

I think I'm going to the upper Potomac tomorrow. I usually go several times a year, and I have not been there yet this year. I usually go just above Harpers Ferry in the Knoxville area. I have been wanting to go, but I thought the water would be too hot. I'll probably use live shinners. This may be my only trip this year. When the stripers start in the South River, it will be difficult to leave them. The live shinners will produce, where artificials are more sporting but less fish. I have had 25-30 fish days with the live shiners. I'll throw a few crank baits and possibly some wacky rigged worms. I'll post a report when I get back. If nothing else, looks like I'll have a good day on the river.

Comment

sounds like you guys had a pretty good time! havent been on the shenandoah in ages, a buddy of mine and i would take a week long canoe camping/fishin trip in late spring when the water wasnt so low.

Dogfish where do you launch on the south? been wanting to check it out.
      Last edited by surfdog; 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

South river

I live in Hillsmere. I generally launch from the beach or from the marina. It is right near the mouth of the river. Things soon should be picking up. This time last year I was starting to catch good numbers of stripers. The water has really been hot this year, at times 88 to 90 degrees at the surface. The striper fishing has been extremely slow. However, the bottom fishing has been good this year, with good croaker fishing just off where I launch. I usually troll for the stripers using small to large crankbaits. Last year was a blast.

There is an area where people can launch at Thomas Point County Park. This is an Anne Arundel County Park, with limited access. Most of the shoreline is rip-rap. However, there is one area, which has a small sandy beach, near the pavillion. You can drive down to check it out, but you need a permit to park and fish. It is at the end of Arundel on the Bay Road. When you come to the "Y" in the road go to the right and go to the very end of the road. Go through the gate and keep going you will come to the park area. As I said you can drive through without a problem and check it out. You can get a permit at Quiet Waters County Park. Give Quiet Waters a phone call to see what the procedure is to get a fishing/parking permit for Thomas Point. Quite Waters Park is in the phone book. The permits are controlled from their office. By launching there, it is a reasonable paddle to Thomas Point Light House. It may be worth getting a permit. I have thought about getting a permit myself, as it would cut time of kayaking to the light house.

However, when I go out from where I live, people are more than welcome to join me. I'll post it when I plan to go fishing. As you can imagine, most of the time I go fishing on shour notice, but I will post it.

Comment

Surf, yeah, a great time. A week long trip sounds awesome!

I used to hit the "not so upper" upper Potomac at Riverbend Park in Fairfax County quite a bit some years ago and had good success. This Shenandoah trip was a reminder how much fun fishing for smallmouth is. Now that I'm into the kayak it opens up a lot more possibilities.

Dogfish, do you get many gut hooked using shiners? I know live bait will out do artificials just about every time but I have had good success with tube lures using a weedless jig head. Toss it up current and bounce it along the bottom. Natural colors, too.

Regarding the South River, I run out of there with our boat club so I'm a little familiar. Definitely interested to work it sometime via kayak so will keep an eye out for your posting.

I looked at the AA County parks web site for the parks you mentioned. Quiet Waters has a $6 daily parking fee. I don't see any launch fees:
          http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/par...aters/fees.cfm

Thomas Point has a $30 monthly fee for a fishing permit:
          http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/parks/thomaspoint.cfm

That's might be a bit much unless you're a local and would use it often. Apparently limited availability as well. Quiet Waters Park number is (410) 222-1777 to check on how to obtain a permit.

Comment

Potomac

I did gut hook some until I started using circle hooks. Then not many at all, if any. However, you must use inline circle hooks. The off set circle hooks will still gut hook a fish. It took me awhile for that one to sink home.

Good job on the park information. I would not fish out so quit waters, unless you want to fish further back in the South River. It would be a longer paddle out to the larger part of the river. Yeah, the $30 fee for the month is a bit steep unless you fish it alot. I only put it out there as because of the limited access for launching on the South River. For me the cost would be worth it just to cut the distance off the paddle to get to the shipping channel and the light house. There is good fishing out in that area.

All of my well laid plans have fallen apart for the Potomac today. I think I'll go out on the South River later today, 3 or 4 PM. If anyone if interested let me know. I'll check alittle later.

Comment

i got the permit last fall and spring of '09, wasnt encuraged with the area for launching but fishing from the point was great big rock pile to cast to but you got to move fast to get a spot soon as they open the gate its a rush to be first have to get the permit on the last thursday of the month before the month you want to fish only 60 permits given out but some jerks load thier vans full of "guests"

Comment

Park launch

I am assuming that you are talking about the permits for Thomas Point Park. It is true, you have to be there when the office opens or shortly thereafter. If you wait till lunch time you will not get one. You have to be there in person with cash. I did get a permit once, I got there about 45 minutes after the office opened and I got a permit numbered in the fifties. That will give you an idea of how fast they go. I also recommend that you go to the park to view the launching areas. There is only one small sandy area, which I was unaware of one's ability to get into that area at the time I had my permit. All other areas are rip-rap shore line. I have a larger sit on top, and launching over rocks was not for me. So check out the sandy area near the pavillion area on the fishing creek side of the point. Before you pay for a permit make sure you have good access. As I said, this would give ready access to the light house area and shipping channel. There is also a good flat in that area where fishing is good. It is all hard bottom and rock. There is also access to the South River.

As far as fishing from the shore, it is all shallow flats around the point. Unless you are going to use the park to launch a kayak and go fish deeper water, I would not pay for a permit. There is probably better shore fishing around.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM. Reason: addition.

Comment

TPP is very good to fish from shore on the point. rock piles are easily reachable with topwaters or storm lures rock and blues in the fall and early C&R season the big ones are there and so are 150 guys trying to catch them

Comment

Working...
                  X