9/8 - Skipton Creek Landing - Talbot County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/8 - Skipton Creek Landing - Talbot County

This is one of my favorite spots for perch especially on windy days like today, sheltered on both sides, fairly narrow area. Even on weekends very little boat traffic. Water depth at ramp is 2-3 ft at high tide, usually only see a couple john boats. Great place for beginners and/or teaching children to kayak fish. Water does get to 5-7 feet deep further downriver but most fish were caught in less then 2' of water. Today alone over 50 perch 4"-10" in 3 hours, even caught one yellow perch, best time to go is 1.5 hours before or after low/high tide when water is moving. I used one jig for all the fish, 1/8 oz jighead orange, white/black eye with orange grub twirly tail. Head downriver past creek inlet on right around first bend, there will be one boat dock on left then a long stretch on that side with no boat docks, a lot of trees fallen over in water. Fish that edge just like you were bass fishing, in the shade among the fallen tree limbs. Be patient, it will be good practice fishing from kayak, with all the tree limbs you will get snagged, I lost only one jig today, with kayak it is easy to get over snag and get it loose in 1-2' of water.

thanks for the report Bryan. have you fish the Blackwater refuge? i bet thats a cool place to fish.

Comment

Have not fished it yet, but it is on my list. I am trying to launch from every boat ramp in Talbot, Caroline, Queen Anne, Dorchester counties. Thought I would fish south this winter in Dorchester, Hoopers Island area. I hear that you can catch everything from large mouth bass to flounder to sea trout down in the Blackwater.

Comment

Dorchester

Blackwater would be a great place to fish. You could probably launch right from the bridge/causeway. I have heard tail that it is great crappie fishing in the spring. There is another area that looks promising, Taylors Island. Just before you cross over the bridge. I have heard it is good striper fishing in that area. I used to haunt those areas in my younger life as a duck and goose hunter. I always wondered about the fishing. If anyone goes to those areas, let me know I would like to tag along or meet you there. At the area of the Taylor's Island bridge, even during duck and goose season years ago, people would be fishing from the shore near the bridge.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM. Reason: addiition

Comment

When I was looking at places for M&G found this info on Blackwater, seems to say they only allow kayaks and canoes inside refuge.

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/fishing.html

Also looked at this spot on Taylor's Island

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/...Facility=DO011

Could be a good place for M&G - 20 parking spaces

Comment

thanks bryan, i used to get the fishing reports in the Fisherman mag. and bill burtons reports but not anymore. the reports from taylors isl. campground were mostly good right out front of the camp ground.

any time you want to go im in.

Comment

Working...
            X