Kailua Kona, Hawaii 8/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kailua Kona, Hawaii 8/18

I've seen three Blue Marlin in the past couple of days: one almost 700 lbs, one over 1,000 and one almost 200 lbs.

The bigger ones were caught by other people, but I did catch the 200 lber!

I totally did not expect to catch a Marlin on this trip, but it was absolutely awesome... Marlin are unbelievably huge, beautiful fish. The Marlin that I caught was successfully tagged and released. My wife got the fight on video, but until we get that up, here are a few pics.

And here is the grander we saw getting weighed on the way back in on our charter:

I also have a ton of cool video on the go pro from snorkeling. We'll work on putting together some of that when we get back.

Next stop, Kauai...
    Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

The color of that water is incredible. I'm not sure about fishing for something that can swim over 20mph and weighs more than I do. They are beautiful fish. I've seen some cool underwater videos of billfishes, and it seems like they can change their color depending on what they're doing. I haven't read up on it, so it could just be the light under the water, but it was neat to see.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Ryan -

Congratulations on catching a great fish in a beautiful place. When my family visited Hawaii a decade ago, I signed up for two half-day trips on two different islands. We did not have a single bite during either trip.

I did find it interesting that the mate started laying out the trolling spread before we had even left the harbor. The water is deep and clear nearby so you don't need to run far to get into productive water.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I went to Kona on the Big Island two years ago this week. It was a wonderful place. I could live there for sure.

Comment

My son caught a 300lb blue marlin while fishing for sailfish in Guatemala, fish was as long as the boat. No chair, no fighting belt. He was exhausted......but happy!
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice!!!!! Your next marlin should be from a kayak though

Enjoy paradise while you can.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

great! looks like it was a lot o fun

Comment

Pictures do not come close to do this place justice. I went snorkeling on a reef wall that went from 2 to 200 feet deep and could see all the way to the bottom.

I have no desire to wrestle a Marlin on a kayak. The "small" Marlin wooped my ass with a huge Avet reel fighting chair and and harness.

I was told that generally if you go out two miles, its one mile deep. Depth finders dont measure feet they measure fathoms (6 feet = 1 fathom). We were fishing in about 100-250 fathoms trolling on the top of the water at ridiculous speeds. Unbelievable experiences!

Tomorrow, we are taking a catamaran ocean and snorkeling tour here on the north shore of kauai and then a river kayaking trip wednesday.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

There's supposed to be a river on one island that has been stocked with smallmouth bass! I can't remember which island it is though.

Comment

Nice!!!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Here's the video that my wife put together for me.
                      Check it out:
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Very cool... definitely not kayak territory out there.

Must have been really exciting. Biggest fish you've caught?
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Biggest fish by a huge margin...It was awesome!
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nothing like watchin' it on video. Great catch, and congrats! Now I bet you're ready to get back to some tamer fishing off the yak...lol....
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Here's a little snorkeling with honu:

Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X