Bay Bridge this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge this morning

Launched from Hemmingways this morning around 6:30. It started out pretty windy and got much windier.

This was my first time in the bay,, wanted to try live lining. Figured out pretty quickly what the deal was with catching spot and put them into my home made live well made from 3" pvc w/ holes and hung over side of yak.

The wind was very strong, there were swells of about 3ft.. It was a bit of a challange..I was drifting very fast with the strong wind, I have no idea what the current was doing if any but I did get one about 16" on a spot. The blues were doing a pretty good job biting my spot in half. I was out of there by 10am. I think I learned a lot..I'll be better prepared next time I go, which will likely be tomorrow morning.
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Bay Bridge

You did well not going over in conditions like that. Sound like you are will on your way. Remember, sometimes you need to fish from the shore where the wind is from. Nothing wrong with a smaller section of water.

Good luck.

Comment

Sounds like a good experience in tough conditions. Don't forget about the M&G next Saturday on Tilghman at 0630. Checked the weather, sunny and 85 degrees.

Bryan

Comment

yeh i was over at romancoke started out ok but the wind just kept building, chased some blues and marked some fish in 25-28' of water but they wernt biting. pulled off around 0930. frickin wind. water was clear and crabs all over.

didnt see anybody on the east side, saw one gut on the west side in a red kayak, spsp was a lot calmer, wind from the west.

Comment

Tried to go to hemmingways ,blocked access because of boat show .Whent to Romancoke tried trolling bucktail no luck did catch one small blue on a drone spoon.No other hits must of just missed surfdog got there 10:00.

Comment

i must have been at the produce stand when you went by. i thought it would be better sheltered there from a west wind

Comment

I hit the same problem at Hemmingway's, but we just lifted them over the orange fence and launched anyway. I wish we had gone to SPSP it was more sheltered and the afternoon winds were intense.

Jim- good to hear you got on some fish and that you got some rougher water practice to boot.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I launched from Hemmingways at around 7:00 am. Carried the kayak and equip. through the opening in the fence to the beach. Caught 6 Stripers at the bridge live lining spot. Got windy and waves picked up around noon. Stuck with it until 2 but it got to be too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick13116 View Post
                  I launched from Hemmingways at around 7:00 am. Carried the kayak and equip. through the opening in the fence to the beach. Caught 6 Stripers at the bridge live lining spot. Got windy and waves picked up around noon. Stuck with it until 2 but it got to be too much.
                  Were the spot easy to catch/what depth did you find them in? I'm taking my old man out this weekend and I want to try and put him on some fish.

Also, did you try your setup in free spool with a clicker?

Comment

I caught the spot in about 10 feet of water between the piers under the south bridge. I caught about 20 in a half hour or so. If I could have anchored it would have been faster. My reel does not have a clicker so no. I attempted jiggin again also. I get about 3 casts before snagging on the bottom. Any tips?

Comment

Thanks for the information about the spot, I figure with the cooler temps, the fish should be shallower... we'll see.

I'm not the expert... but it sounds like the water was moving pretty quickly, I'd try paddling up current and casting into the direction you're moving. Should help your jig get to the bottom faster on your slack, plus if you snag you're heading towards your lure. If I can't do that, I usually try to pull up in the slack/eddy of a piling and work the rip in front of me. If you're not getting hung, you're not where the fish are... so stick with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X