October 9th M&G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 9th M&G

Maybe premature since September's isn't here yet but I spotted this over on TF and thought I'd throw it out to the assembled for consideration. Just the highlights:

From what the captain and mate I was out with last week told me, October may be the best month for rockfish and flounder fishing in the Inlet... They said the larger fish come into the inlet from the ocean to gorge on the migrating baitfish that are leaving the bay...

Quick reply to this message

You got good info right there......The best is yet to come! I have taken lots of flounder over 8 lbs in the fall in the area around the inlet or just outside the inlet......Big bait is the key.

Who's the flounder pounder on this board? Sam? Sam, calling Sam. You wanna be ringleader?

Inlets can be treacherous and October weather can change quickly but dang, lots of flounder over 8 lbs

Which inlet?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      Which inlet?
      DUH! Forgot that part!

Ocean City, MD.

Comment

the inlet in OC isnt very kayak friendly, very swift current. stinky beach, Rt. 90 bridge or the bridge going over to assateague would be better in OC.

CHSP, lewes beach, lewes canal and Roosevelt inlet are just as good and better suited to all skill levels.

im not that familiar with IRI but the backwaters there are doable, not the inlet. Doug has ran the inlet what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
          the inlet in OC isnt very kayak friendly, very swift current. stinky beach, Rt. 90 bridge or the bridge going over to assateague would be better in OC.

CHSP, lewes beach, lewes canal and Roosevelt inlet are just as good and better suited to all skill levels.

im not that familiar with IRI but the backwaters there are doable, not the inlet. Doug has ran the inlet what do you think?
          Sounds like an October ringleader to me! Your choice!!

Comment

OK, CHSP seems the best area for Octobers M&G. its easily accessible and if the wind is up there are alternate launch sites near by also resurants and hotels or camping at CHSP. i will check.

only draw back is that you need a DE fishing licence 21.00 and another fin # both you can get online from DENREC.

Comment

You know me, any inlet is fine. I'm hungry for some flounder. I think that weekend would be good. Any Hobie is fine in IRI, trust me, it looks a lot nastier than it is. Just dont try to cross the inlet on an outgoing tide.

Comment

I fish the inlet in OCMD about once a month. I have to disagree with Surfdog. The current is swift in the actual inlet between the Oceanic and the south jetty but the flounder are caught between the coast guard station and the thorofare which is fairly calm. There is easy access at Gudelsky park for the west channel and at 9th St. for the east channel. The IRI is much more treacherous than the OC bay.

Comment

What is CHSP? Flounder/Rock trip sounds awesome, I'm going to make sure I can get to this one... (not making it this weekend)

Comment

Cape Henlopen State Park, right on the southern shore of Del. bay and the ocean. great place to launch by the pier and from there you can fish the pier, the end is closed so nobody trying to hit you, or fish the flats also there an icebreaker wall that holds rock and tog.

i was checking for people that might want to stay for the weekend and there's the Beacon Motel close by or camping at CHSP, or many hotels in rehoboth beach. for drinks and food Irish Eyes in Lewes is close and they have a dock bar on the canal and pretty good food.

these places probably have web sites but im just an electrician not a IT guy if someone knows how to pull them up please do.

Comment

did i mention sheepshead? no? sorry

flounder
                      rock
                      tog
                      sheepshead
                      croaker
                      kingfish
                      blues
                      spot

all these can be there in early october plus some ( skates, dogfish and the ever popular horseshoe crab )
                      Last edited by surfdog; 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome place to fish! I vote yes for the venue... just need to check with the little boss to make sure I can come. I hope so! I'd really like to catch some Tog, flounder, sheepshead, rock....

Comment

they had kayak rentals at the pier but idk if they are open this late in the season. i will check

Comment

Henlopen is a great place. Some of the best flounder fishing I have ever experienced.

Comment

I'm game! Sounds good.

Sam, I thought maybe the additional license fee might deter those who might be a little pinched by the economy. I checked and Delaware has a 7 day "tourist license" for $12.50. Hopefully that'll help some:

http://www.fw.delaware.gov/Fisheries...ngLicense.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X