CHSP 8-11-12, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP 8-11-12, Sat

Was on the water at 0800 hrs. The rest of the guys were already on the water. Partly sunny. Ominous skies overhead. There was a passing thunderstorm in the afternoon.

Saw Grady and surfdog fishing at the pier. I went to the Inner Wall and jigged for flounder. I later met Moc, Chimo, and Shield at the Inner Wall after they fished the Outer Wall three miles away where Yakfish and Pinch were diving/fishing.

In the afternoon, Moc, Surfdog and Shield went back in, packed up and had lunch. After lunch, I think they went to Roosevelt Inlet. I stayed at the Inner Wall (Didn't want to eat because I wanted to fish). I was the only yaker fishing at the Inner Wall and got caught in a thunderstorm. I was soaked, but I continued to fish. It was partly sunny the rest of the pm, but then the wind picked up with 1-2' chops. I had to battle the headwind to get in, on a wet ride.

Anyway, here's what I caught: 1 keeper flounder (19"), 1 short flounder (15"), a sting ray, over a dozen croakers, a couple toads and this mystery fish (I don't know what it was, but maybe someone can identify it. It's the smaller fish next to the croaker in the pic). The ray gave me a pretty good ride. When I pulled it yak side, I saw the tail was missing, so I figured it was safe to take off the hook (ha, ha, ..... I wanted my lure back).

Don't know what the others caught, but Moc caught an 18" flounder and Shield caught a shark at the Inner Wall. Hey, if you two guys want pics of yourselves (I have more), sent me your email.

Always fun to fish at M&Gs. Thanks for coordinating it, surfdog.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice job on the flounder. I think that fish is a sand perch?

Where did you get the flounder? Did you try the beach?

Comment

wish i'd have been there
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

well done guys. thanks for the pics
        sigpic

Comment

we were getting worried when we tried to call you but figured you hooked up with jack and josh. i saw the storm comming from over lewes and raidoed martin that it was comming mike and i beat feet and got to shore just as it unloaded. i didnt get any keepers GB got 1 out of the pilings at the end of the pier. moc got a limit of keepers at RI and shield got to play tug boat. i'll let them tell the tail. went out sunday morning at RI and got a keeper spec and 2 short flounder, didnt bring my light so at 0500 im fishing the boat landing from shore waiting for daylight i hook into a monster cnr fought it for 15 min then it broke my 8lbs fireline crystal i had on my light rod it got a black bucktail with a chart. gulp stuck in its face but the line broke close to its face so i didnt lose much. the tide was way off supposed to be hi at 0500 but it was half low by then and the water was giong out quick and getting dirty

Comment

New guy to the forum here. Fished sat around the pier and the inner wall ended the day with 3 short flounder and 10 croakers. I met a few guys that were fishing around the pier. Good day overall except for the rain.

Comment

Thanks for checking, surf. Didn't catch the call because I did not hear my cell phone ring, probably because of rain. Josh and Jack got caught in the t-storm too when they were at the Outer Wall (maybe they were diving and didn't notice .....lol..). Although it rained hard, the wind and waves weren't bad, and that's why I decided to fish through. I figured if I started heading in, the t-storm would pass by the time I hit shore.

Comment

now i know to recharge radio after every trip it was dieing at the end of the day. atleast my yak got the salt washed off (;

Comment

Fresh flounder - absolute delish!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great report! Oh I'm pissed I missed it! I will definitely be out there this Fall/Winter for some Tog! Much quicker ride than Kipto/CBBT. LOL

Comment

so anyone know how the divers did?

Comment

hey doug nice to meet you out there. definitely going down more after the tourist traffic thins out after labor day

Comment

Nice work, Efren. You're a braver man than I sticking out the storm like that. I'm glad you didn't have any trouble out there. The mystery fish is a silver perch (I'm not sure if sand perch is another name for it): http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldgu...r/silver_perch
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Ha....sure looks like a silver/sand perch. Thanks Bill and Dave for the ID.

I'm not sure what the divers caught, Kevin. I know they said they saw big togs in holes. Water was murky, so visibility was not good. They both had spears.

Comment

Pinch, a spear, poor visibility..........nothing good can come from this.....

Comment

Working...
                              X