Any action up north?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any action up north?

Has anyone been out north of the bridge? Maybe the flats or Mariner Pt.? I wanted to get out this weekend but not go too far. I don't really care about species just looking to catch some fish. I suppose cats in the Susq. channels is always an option.

Don't know but it's about time for the stripers around the Har Miller Island cut .........

Comment

Where do you launch in that area? Can kayaks launch at North Pt.?

Comment

Rocky pt park is 1 place ........but there might be some places out farther ........ anybody else know?

Comment

md

hey there, if you want to go out at marinor point this weekend i have some time. I live in jarrettsville but work in joppatowne, we could meet a the grill sensations, which day were you thinking about. Actually if you wanted to get together to compare notes about fishing the bay bridge that would be a big help. I do have to work until 12:30 on sat.

Comment

Just a suggestion for you guys. Launch out of dundee and go for catfish if you aren't specific about what you want to catch. I've caught a ton of catfish through that area...specifically at saltpeter creek. It'd be common to catch 4-6 pounders and they give a nice fight. I'm sure there are even bigger ones around. I've been crabbing that area the last few weeks and I can feel the catfish tugging at my trotline. I'd go out with some livers or something like that on a bobber and just drift...trying to keep the bait away from the crabs. There's also a lot of weeds out there right now which may hold some nice bass if you want to drag a worm through them....but I'd almost guarantee a nice morning if you go for the cats.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
              Don't know but it's about time for the stripers around the Har Miller Island cut .........
              What's this all about? Striper time at Hart Miller? I'd be in for some of that. Are these the schoolies or the big ones? I think Hart Miller can be accessed most easily from rocky point although it can be a rough passage to get over there. I had a small boat out there one time and the wake from a yacht nearly took us out :-)

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                What's this all about? Striper time at Hart Miller? I'd be in for some of that. Are these the schoolies or the big ones? I think Hart Miller can be accessed most easily from rocky point although it can be a rough passage to get over there. I had a small boat out there one time and the wake from a yacht nearly took us out :-)
                mostly schoolies but yhe guys that know the area catch the bigguns .......... 1 guy on Tidalfish launchs from there and regularly catches 30+ fish all summer ........... he knows is spots and approches them using electric engines and leaves if a motorboat comes by so it's close to yak fishing ........

Anyway ....... the cut can be real good .......... good current ...... lots of structure and good bait ....... many places that the bigger boats can't get to ..........

Comment

what's the "cut"

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    what's the "cut"
                    There are 2 cuts/channels ........ the first is between the first island and the mainland ........ the main channel is there w/alot of boat traffic and a light tower ....... the second is between the 2 islands ......... this has 2 or 3 big holes and shallows ........ many boats don't go there because you can run aground ........ several areas 2-3 ft deep .........

There is a good current w/the tides and a couple of rips ........ I caught fish on long trolling lines w/powerbait pogies. The rips are hard to fish from a boat but easier w/an anchored yak ......... fish seem to lay just behind the rips by the dropoffs. Anchor above and let your lure work just behind the rips ....... saw several small boats do this with success on a couple of trips but I couldn't w/my 18ft cc. Lots of current on the front end of the second island but I couldn't fish it properly with my boat so I didn't catch much there. Fishing around the islands can be hit or miss ....... skunked some days and limited out in 1/2 hour on others ........ only fished there about 10 times ......

Again ....... I haven't splashed my yaks yet but that is 1 place I want to fish ........

Comment

Went out Sunday morning off Rocky Point for the first time. Perch and spot were biting steadily. Caught about 7-8 small fish unitl I ran out of bait. I know the "cut" area you are talking about but it may be a little dicey with my yak. You can get there from Rocky Point pretty quickly especially when the current is moving out. My kayak is only 10 ft so I think I need to upsize. The boat traffic going in and out could swamp me for sure. I actually got a little bumped around yesterday but surprisingly my anchor held up. Are there any other places for stripers that is easier to get to with a yak my size? Do any of you use spot or the smaller fish to live line up in the northern part of the bay?

Comment

Could someone explain the "cut" area to me?

Fjarhead, I didn't make it out this weekend. Too windy.

Comment

Originally posted by MDSmith370 View Post
                          Could someone explain the "cut" area to me?

Fjarhead, I didn't make it out this weekend. Too windy.
                          There is a cut or opening between 2 islands that let's water through ....... between the 2 islands around Hart Miller Island that can be good for fishing stripers, perch and cats .......... good current ....... shallows w/dropoffs, rips, lots of structure etc etc ..........

I've caught stripers from a larger motor boat better than 50% of the time out in Sept - Oct timeframes ......... it's ideal for a yak in my opinion because you can approach silently and get to areas that larger boats can't ..........

You can launch from Rocky Point but there may be a better area from the town on the bay right there since you don't need a ramp ......

Comment

port deposit

dont know how far north you want to go. but me and my cousin go out of port deposit in cecil county and catch some nice smallies and stripers. lost the biggest one i have ever caught on a kayak a 35 to 40 incher. had my hands all over it just couldnt get it in the boat. the water up there is shallow and very fast and crystal clear. lots of small rapids . cats and perch are also trere.

Comment

Susqeyaker, I often fish the same area. I either launch at Lapidum, Water St., or the park on Market St. I've caught a lot of fish there.

Comment

Working...
                              X