My first spade at the CBBT today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first spade at the CBBT today!

Had the chance to hit the water today with phillyjoe again, and we decided to head to the CBBT and target sheepshead and spadefish. We hit the water at 7am and battled a strong outgoing current running at a -.8 and stronger is spots near the first island of the tunnel complex. I ended up with 6 fish on the day - including 3 spades and 3 sea bass. I missed a couple as well, and I still am searching for that first sheepshead. Joe didn't have any luck with the spades, but he landed several sea bass. We both struggled to feel the bite on the sheepshead with the strong currents.

Applying what you have learned....

Hope you enjoy the trip report!
    Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
    PowerTeam Lures
    Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Thanks for the posting.
    I can't fish theis weekend (two weekends in a row). So I am more pumped up now for Aug 18 trip.
    Were spade on the bottom, few feet above, or in the middle of the pilings?

Your story tells me that I bring a medium action rod for spade

Thanks again
    joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
      Thanks for the posting.
      I can't fish theis weekend (two weekends in a row). So I am more pumped up now for Aug 18 trip.
      Were spade on the bottom, few feet above, or in the middle of the pilings?

Your story tells me that I bring a medium action rod for spade

Thanks again
      joe
      Hey Joe - they were varied to be honest. It was all dependent upon water clarity. The first one was caught about 4' down, the second 7-8' down and the third was 5-6' down. I placed the clam strip where I could barely see it and that is when it got smacked. My setup used was:

Medium Heavy casting rod with a FAST action, Revo Inshore reel and 30lb. braid with a 30lb. flouro leader.
      PowerTeam Lures
      Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Comment

Congrats on your first spades. Do circle hooks work on them? Have there been any big ones around? About 10 years ago, some of the guys where I worked were catching some real monster spades, but I haven't seen any pics of fish that size in a while.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Circle hooks may work but the reason you use a jighead is to get the bait down to them. There have been a few caught over 17" this year so far.
          PowerTeam Lures

Comment

Working...
          X