Sharks in the Bay - PLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharks in the Bay - PLO

Check out this thread going on tidal fish... I know a few of you all went out of Buzz's a couple months ago and some of us have fished Point Look out before...

8'1'' Bullshark right out in cornfield harbor!!!!

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/292119-Bull-shark!-Not-a-joke-post!!!-Buzz-s
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Awesome! Not surprising as there are certainly plenty of sharks around. Bulls can tolerate brackish conditions and are often found in shallow water. Too bad it was killed. They are a natural predator of the cow nosed ray.

Comment

Always thought it would be awesome to land a big shark in the yak.... On the other hand, having those jaws snapping shut and that sucker thrashing beside my thin plastic hull might not be the best idea I have ever had I am sure he would give you quite a ride before it got to that point though Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

I just saw that post.

That's a big bull. Now i have to worry about hanging my feet over the sides while i fish the bay. At least i ditched the yellow crocs this year. That move could have saved my toes

Comment

You can do it too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGCcRl_MIJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E9PS...eature=related

Comment

no thanks stripers and big rays are enough for me. that aussi guy needs to get bit. teeth a little too close for comfort.

i thought it is against the law to kill sharks except dogs. we need more sharks to munch on the rays.

Comment

wow..thats nuts.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Bull sharks

Bull sharks in the Chesapeake Bary are well known. Ever, been out fishing, have a hookup and bring in only the head of what was once about a 30" + Striper. That was no bluefish. There have been bull sharks caught well up the Bay. Whenever I'm out chumming, with my feet over the side of the kayak, it crosses my mind. However, the sharks are here for the fish and possibly the rays. Thats why people are not attacked. Famous last words, as the theme from Jaws creeps into one's mind. The next time you see a kayak going down the Bay at about 20 mph, just a bull shark, no panic.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                  The next time you see a kayak going down the Bay at about 20 mph, just a bull shark, no panic.
                  Too funny!

But I 'd take that ride! Just cut him loose once you get him close and he's tired, right?

Did lots of offshore shark fishing back in the day. Once had a monster Tiger shark drag me and my brother in a 25' Aquasport 3 miles from where we hooked up. We got him close a couple times but the wire leader got wrapped around his tail. He had all the leverage. Had him on for 2+ hours. At that point we were tired of it and had cranked down the drag to really lean on him when a school of rays came by and freaked him out. The line gave way. But that was a beast. We estimated 12-14' and 500lbs.

Comment

Sharks

The tiger shark story brings to mind an experience of my own. When I was in the Navy, years ago, I was in the Sea Bees. I was on an island in the Indian Ocean, Diego Garcia. We were building a base on the island. This was just a small atoll, which was only about 7 feet above sea level. It was horseshoe shaped. When you would swimm off the edge of the shallow outer reef, you were in the deep blue sea. Being the top of a volcano it dropped straight off, like a verticle wall. You could look down and the clear blue water faded into black.

We would go off through the surge channels, which would transition from the shallow top of the barrier reef to the open sea. The water there was gin clear. We would snorkel along the wall of the reef for lobsters. On one of those occasions we had ventured into the open water off the reef. I notice an object moving from a distance towards the five of us snorkeling. As it approached, I could see it was a large shark. I pointed to the others, and without a word we all sort of moved together, into what must have looked like a bait school. The large shark came within about twenty feet, curiously checked us out and continued on it course. All the time it moved slowly. I believe it was only curious. I remembered what looked like water reflecting on its sides and the square blunt snout. It was about 12 feet, so much larger that we were. It was so close you could make out all of the details of the remora stuck to the shark. Years later, when I saw the movie Jaws, and the character Quint spoke of the lifeless, doll eyes of a shark, I could associate with that. Of course the giging spears we had would not have made much of a difference.

Upon return to shore, we compared thoughts and went to the small library, which had been set up on the island. We all agreed it was a large tiger shark. It was quite an experience. At the time Diego Garcia was primitive. We lived in plywood huts, as we were there building the base. I understand now that it is quite a large strategic base.

Back then I was 21 years old, on this vacated copra plantation of an island, for which the island had been used. It was a fishermans dream. I caught my first bonefish there. Being from Maryland, I didn't even know what a bonefish was. We would crack open hermit crabs and use them for bait. I had caught plenty of blacktip sharks, as we could catch them from the beach. The tiger was different. Of course chumming the sharks from the beach could be different. I remember one time, when we were shark fishing from the beach, one of my friend being run out to the water by a shark. Obviously we were young and having fun. Sorry for the deviation, just thought the story about the tiger shark would be fun.
                    Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-02-2010, 02:54 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

great story Dog. the thing we do when we dont know any better!

caught my share of sharks off shore, hooked this thresher once and it took 3 hours to get to the boat using a standup hooki (no belt). the thing was huge the tail must have been an easy 7' long. got him to the boat and took some pics and sent him on his way.

Comment

Great story Dogfish!

Looks like we might get a chance of our own at the bay bridge....

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...the-bay-bridge

Good thing the jellyfish keep my feet in when I'm at the bridge... I'm going to have to check the strength of my wire leaders.... and start live-lining rock!
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X