Outter Banks Recap - 7/28/2012 thru 8/4/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outter Banks Recap - 7/28/2012 thru 8/4/2012

I just got back from my pilgrimage to the outer banks. We stayed in Duck this year and the surf fishing was slow slow slow....

The first day we pulled gulp swimming mullets thru the troughs in the surf and caught 3 short flounder and had a couple larger ones pull free. Great we thought it was going to be a great trip.

Wrong

We could not put anything on the beach the rest of the trip with the exception of a dozen or so small croakers. The fishing reports from up and down the coast had pics of lots of citation whiting (King Fish, Sea Mullets, etc...). We could not get a single one to the beach. We tried bloods and sand fleas with no luck. The beach in front of our rental looked great. There was a nice trough running parallel to the beach and a break cutting thru the outer bars. I hit the surf at 6:00 am the first three days for the blues but they never showed either.

We spent a couple hours on Tuesday at jennette's pier. That is a nice pier but a little pricey at 12 bucks a head. I yanked a gotcha for around two hours with the only excitement being a small king mack chasing it for a few feet and 3 Spanish macs that played tag with the lure without touching the hooks.

Bait was everywhere around us both at the pier and the surf. Just nothing moving around under it. Very strange.

I only got the kayak out once while down there due to laziness. We went to Oregon Inlet on Thursday to fish the sloughs behind the coastguard station. Our luck was much better there with a mixed bag of under sized spec's, Redfish and flounder.

Video Recap

On Friday i made a trip to little bridge to try my luck and managed 3 under sized spec's and a larger fish the managed to pull my not so good knot. Typical after the weeks fishing.

The other part of the vacation was perfect. lots of good food, Friends and plenty of booze.

great report as always! i see they have the same fish size problm there as well! probably better to fish under the docks i usually have good luck fishing up close the the pier at the public ramp over the bridges going to maneo with a carolina rig and live minnow

Comment

I know the feeling of flounder throwing the hook. Well, sounds like a good vacation, even though you didn't get full cooperation from keeper fish. Thanks for the report!
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nearly missed this one. Nice report and video as always. Looks like you had a lot of fun despite the fishing.
        How do you like those rocket launcher tubes up front on your trident? I'm contemplating my options for forward rod holders on my Trident 13.

Comment

Thanks

"How do you like those rocket launcher tubes up front on your trident? I'm contemplating my options for forward rod holders on my Trident 13"

I have mixed feelings about them. They work pretty well for trolling when angled out to the sides but they tend to loosen up under pressure. In the upright position they work well for storing rods while moving around but wind up getting in the way while casting. That’s easily fixed by laying them down though. I’m not sure I would go with the same setup again as I don’t troll as much as I anticipated when installing these.

Comment

Yep. That's about what I thought. I've seen where guys put 2 flush mount scotty bases in the space right between the rod pot and the sonar shield. I think the scotty's may be a little more secure than the RAM mounts.

Comment

Nice report!

Originally posted by jsquare View Post
              Yep. That's about what I thought. I've seen where guys put 2 flush mount scotty bases in the space right between the rod pot and the sonar shield. I think the scotty's may be a little more secure than the RAM mounts.
              Scotty flush mounts with extenders to get the rod holders up and back towards the seat was what I intended to do for my Trident before I sold it.

Chimo

Comment

I use both.
                I prefer ram tubes over Scotty.

With Ram tube, the angle of the tube is 0 -180 degree vertically and 360 degree horizontally
                I troll a 6” or 9” umbrella rig on Ram tube with 2 – 8 oz sinker at 3.5 mph. I troll tandem trolling rig with 6oz and 2 oz jigs. I troll a Stretch 25 or 30

When I troll for specks. flounders or reds, I don’t tighten up the Ram tube so that I can simply change the ram tube angle by pushing and pulling

Scotty has limited angles I can work with. Also when striper longer than 22” hit during trolling, the socket popped up and the rod hit my shoulder often. Though the socket wouldn’t come out

I troll often, so I use Ram Tubes

joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                X