Severn River 8/27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 8/27

My buddy Metroman posted this on another site... I was there so I am stealing it! LOL I dunno how a trip to celebrate MY birthdate kept me out of the camera lens... :/

To celebrate his birthday, mytmouse wanted to do a kayak fishing trip. on the Severn River. Not owning kayaks ourselves, Foursteps24 and I rented a couple of kayaks to join in on the fun. I ended up fishing from a Tarpon 120, while Jay fished from a "Mad River Canoe"...it was just like a kayak, aside from saying "canoe".

Grady Black joined us as well for yesterday's trip. Mytmouse was supposed to post a thread to invite more people from the board, but he's a lazy bastard so the open invite was never posted

Prior to launch, Jay (foursteps24) headed out to the pier at Jonas Green to catch some crabs for bait. He got there around 5:30am...I arrived around 6:45 or so.

With 5 traps and some chicken necks, we had a few crabs in the bucket for bait!

We also had bloodworms, shrimp, FB BW, and FB crab. We also had lures as well. We were prepared.

Mytmouse & GradyBlack showed up around 8am and we set off to our launch zone. After a few minutes of preparation, we were off to the fishing location of the day.

It was a short paddle to our fishing spot. Within a few seconds, Grady Black had a fish on! We canvassed the area an found where the bite was consistent. Once we narrowed it down, we set up a drift pattern withthe incoming tide and nailed white perch. It was intense action. The big surprise was how the crab attracted the big white perch. Bloodworms worked fine, but the crab produced bigger perch regularly throughout the day.

As the morning progressed we split up a little bit, just canvassing the area. Perch everywhere, with a croaker here and there too. I got a decent 14" croaker. That was a fun fight on light tackle. As I reeled in the croaker, Jay start yelling frantically while laughing. He caught a HUUUUUGGEEE white perch. With his excitement, we all had to paddle over and see WTF had him so excited. This damn perch looked like a carp!! I'd never seen a white perch this big in my life...none of us have. We measured it a 13.5" and it weighed just over 1.5lbs. It was an exciting time to see that monster amongst the normal 8-9 inchers we were catching most of the morning. About an hour or so later, foursteps did it again!! This one was a little bit smaller...at about 12 inches.

Fun times!!

The pick was steady when the tide was moving. Each drift yielded about 4 fish for me. I tried to use both rods at one point, but that was WAYYY too much to handle when the action was thick. I had four fish on at one time. It was surprising how the perch attacked the crab. I was able to figure out a way to rig pieces of the crab legs so they were impossible to get picked off. I fished from 8:30am till 2:30pm and used 3/4 of one crab, and 1.5 bloodworms. I threw part of my crab away when we were done fishing. I caught about 50 perch, one croaker, and a few baby spot. I kept the croaker, and about 27 perch.

To cap off a successful outing, Mytmouse & I hit up Famous Daves afterwards for BBQ & brew!

I cleaned all of them damn fish yesterday when I got home. What a pain in the ass!

I filleted a few of them just to be able to have a couple of fish sandwiches at some later time. I'll be giving about half of the perch to my buddy who asks for change near my job to get something to eat. I always tell him when I go fishing I'll bring him back some fish if I catch a bunch.

Honestly, I'm going on another boat trip this coming Saturday for my bday...I'm gonna have more than enough fish for myself lol...

Nice white perch and thanks for the report! Were you catching them at the submerged rock right around the corner from the ramp? Haven't been there in a month or so but the perch were stacked up there all through July. Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

Way to slay the monster perch! So did you just crack the crabs open and stick some chunks on a hook?
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

awesome job...nice pics
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice work! Them's some killer perch! Good job...

Comment

Chimo...I didn't have any luck near the submerged rocks...they spot we found that worked best was to the left of the buoy at around 11 o'clock from the pier....we would drift back to the buoy catch a lot of fish and paddle back! LOL

ictalurus...yea we just cracked them in half and hooked em through the leg sockets and also used little pieces of the leg. Man the WP KILLED em! I was shocked... I mean even the small ones were getting greedy trying to get the big pieces! LOL.

Comment

Thanks mytmouse. I have to try that next time. I'd like a shot at some killer perch. It'll probably help me find some puppy drum, too.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

That's a huge perch! Sounds like a great way to kick off the birthday celebration!

Do crabs have to be a certain size to use as bait? (I'm guessing they have to be keepers...)
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yep Red...any keeper will do! You'll probably get in big trouble if the DNR man rolls up on you and you have a bucket of lil crabs! LOL.

Comment

Working...
                  X