What type of vest do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of vest do you use?

Well I was on a trip last week at lake habeeb at rocky gap. Somewhere along the way up my lifejacket blew out of the bed of my truck. It was a cheaper fishing vest that was type 3 but kind of uncomfortable. Now I am in the market for a new one. Any suggestions?

This is what I'm using. Very happy with it:

http://www.extrasport.com/product/pf...k/striper.aspx

Comment

That thing is sweet, I might do something like that or an inflatable.

Comment

I went with this one...not too hot and comfortable.

http://www.extrasport.com/product/pf...ak/osprey.aspx

MYT

Comment

Vest

I also use the extrasport Osprey, even though I don't wear the vest alot when I'm out. I know very bad, very bad. However, when I do wear it, the vest if comfortable.

Comment

i got one from cabelas on sale for under thirty bucks. It has only a couple of pockets but I really dont need them since I have a tackle box with me. The down side is that it is uncomfortable and warm.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

That was the problem with mine. Bass Pro Shops 30 dollars and it was uncomfortable and hot. I was thinking of going with an inflatable, like the pouch ones.

Comment

I actually don't like the fishing PFDs. All the pockets and stuff make re-entry difficult. I used to use one of these:

http://www.extrasport.com/product/pf...yak/eagle.aspx

It was pretty comfortable, even in the heat, but the back didn't jive well with my Hobie seat. I really liked the mesh shoulders and low cut neck opening. The buckles on the front would sometimes hang on the gunwale as I tried to get into my Outback, though. That might not be such a problem with a boat that doesn't have square gunwales. I often use this one when working on research boats now. I picked it up at REI on sale for ~$35.

I now use something like this:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...70&pdeptid=956

The back is a better fit for my Hobie, and it doesn't hang up on the gunwales. Stohlquist doesn't make the model I have any more, but this one is pretty similar. I think I found it on sale somewhere for ~$60. This one looks like a cheaper alternative:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...1&pdeptid=1682

I like PFDs with the buckle at the bottom. I keep that fairly tight so the vest doesn't pop up over my face when I'm in the water.

I don't care for inflatables because I never found one that didn't put a lot of pressure on the back of my neck. I also didn't find them much cooler. When I get hot, I dunk my vest and let evaporative cooling take over. Anyway, there's my $0.02.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i used to use a soloquist fishing PFD but was very hot so i went to a inflatable belt type very comfortable also have an auto inflate vest type also comfy.

Comment

Life Jacket

I have been considering an inflatable belt or vest. Particularly in the colder weather, when you bundle up more. The addition of a vest to warmer clothes is a burden. With the additional clothes you should be wearing the safety device at all times. It is different than in the summer. This fall I intend to get a nice pair of waders, and use a foul weather jacket. That way I can just wear a pair of crocs or flats shoes over the stocking foot waders. Simple is better and the inflatable will work better, less cumbersome. Just a thought for a kayaker of all seasons.

Comment

You might want to check the safety warnings for the inflatables and cold weather. We had them at the place I used to work, and there were warnings about not using them in cold weather/water. This was a while back when they first came out, so they're probably better now. However, low temperatures will reduce the volume the gas occupies. I'm also not sure about the effects of low temperature on the plastic of the inflatable part.

Edit: just found these, but I don't know how much they are:

http://www.stormyseas.com/heavydutyjacket.html
                      Last edited by ictalurus; 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM.
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Cold weather

Thank You. I will certainly keep that in mind.

Comment

Bill i think the new inflatables arent affected by cold as the old models even so they have a manual inflation tube in case of failure. tested mine at the start of the season, it opened in a 1/10 of a second. when it gets so cold to affect the co2 i hope to be sitting next to my fire place

Comment

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. They also inflate up to 32lbs of flotation, I think. Most life jackets are only 16. It'll have to be pretty cold to knock of 16lbs of flotation.
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                            X