Scouting a new location for future Tidewater HOW events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting a new location for future Tidewater HOW events

Had the opportunity to visit a private property in Smithfield, VA the other day with other Tidewater HOW members. The purpose of the outing was to assess the viability of the location to handle the needs of our service members and associated personnel and equipment required to host a HOW event. The day involved scouting the grounds for limitations or hurdles to transporting the service members from spot to spot, central area to meet, eat and socialize and to assess the quality of the fishing potential.

From all accounts from the participants that fished the waters, there are plenty of quality fish including catfish, bluegill and largemouth bass. I saw photos of some awesome fish caught that day including a 21 1/2" beast caught by Bill Ragulsky. I believe Lars landed what looked to be a 20"+ bass as well. There were some large catfish sighted although none were landed to my knowledge.

Every manner of kayak brands were represented, including Wilderness Systems, Native Watercraft, Jackson, Heritage, Malibu and Hobie. We also had a variety of casting and fishing methods. We had fly rodders, ultralights, spinning, casting, live bait anglers, soft plastics, top water, spinner baits, etc. You name it and we probably had someone doing it.

Only with this type of diversified approach could we truly assess how functional this location could be in the future as well as determine the best methods to provide our heroes with when an event is scheduled.

It was a successful outing indeed.

Hamming It Up in Smithfield, VA....

Enjoy!!
    Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
    PowerTeam Lures
    Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

It looks like there are some nice fish in those ponds, and it looks like it would be a cool spot for a gathering. How did you find the landowner?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
      It looks like there are some nice fish in those ponds, and it looks like it would be a cool spot for a gathering. How did you find the landowner?
      One of the Tidewater members is friends with a local fishing radio host who has permission. He checked with the owners and they agreed.
      Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
      PowerTeam Lures
      Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Comment

Working...
      X