CHSP 7-28-12, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP 7-28-12, Sat

Was on the water at 0830 hrs. Day was nice. Mostly sunny. Some late afternoon overcast. Water was mostly calm. Many boats and touring yakers were out. The pier was crowded with fisherman in the pm.

Met HokieDJ, Comeonfish, Grilled and Yakfisher on the water. We all met up and eventually fished the Outer Wall three miles out.

I jigged the pier and the walls/jetties using a white curly tail. Caught toads, blues and a short flounder (17.5", Dang! DE limit is 18").

The other guys caught stuff, and they can tell you their stories.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Thanks for the report Tuf. That is preliminary info for the meet and greet in Aug.

Comment

nice tuf, pink gulp was the color the last time i was at the pier.

Comment

Tried the pier and lost my buck tail on snag and caught some baby croakers there. At the inner wall I got a nice size croaker but lost him at the boat. Caught more croakers at 30 ft and a baby shark at 50 ft. Tons of oyster toad at both walls
        with one 1/2 inch within Tufnik's record.

Good to be on the water but sucks to catch everything but the ones I wanted.

Comment

Pink gulp on a 1 or 2 oz white bucktail has always been my flounder goto rig around the pier.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Sounds like there's a banner cohort of monster toadfish in the Mid Atlantic this year. Maybe they've got all the flounder scared off.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I was using white bucktail with both white and chart. Croakers were eating it up. I was there when I launched by the current was barely moving so I spent only a little time there and headed for the inner wall to try for Togs.

When I got back, the incoming was decent but then wind was blowing the opposite direction so the drift was messed up but I tried the beach anyways. Lots of weakfish and croakers but no flounder took a swipe.
              I lost 2 bucktails at the wall so I was down to one when I tried the beach.

Oh wells.. Some one needs to organize a Toadfish tourney and feast to help cull those suckers...

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Sounds like there's a banner cohort of monster toadfish in the Mid Atlantic this year. Maybe they've got all the flounder scared off.
                Yeah, the toads are going to be around, so may as well enjoy them. Soooooo......let's eat them.

Hokie, I lost a lot of rigs there too. And you know each of my rigs have double lures of bucktails and jigs/curly tails.

Pink, huh? I use white curly tails (on 3/4 oz jig). I wonder how my leftover electric (half is pink) chicken bass assassins would do on flatties.
                Last edited by tufnik; 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

The First Kayak Spearfishing - We actually tried for hours

Here is my side of story in Kayak Spearfishing:
                  Josh and I’ve been planning it for a while. But we couldn't do it because of the poor water clarity. Visibility was very poor so far. But today, it was doable. The visibility was about 6-8 feet. This was the first spear fishing for us in the murky water.

This was a small, but a giant step for us who lives 3-4 hours away from the ocean.
                  The murky water is quite different than the clear water. I screwed up in video tapping. I couldn't see the view screen on the camera clearly. Togs were there. They were 8-22 inches. Because of the poor visibility there wasn’t enough time to react/settle. I missed 3 nice ones at 18-20". Once I had a clear shot opportunity. I pulled the trigger but the safety pin was on. We learned a lot and we will prepare adequately next time (Especially Josh - Josh may explain this).
                  Also, next time I will make sure I shoot the bigger ones.

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-30-2012, 06:55 AM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice video. I think I need to keep my drooper loop higher off the sinker. It should keep the bait higher up from the bottom to keep the bait in the strike zone for the Togs and other fishes.
                    Mine was hanging close to the weight because I broke off a snag earlier and retied a weight on it. Maybe that's why i had a ton of oyster toad hits.

Comment

That's one stubborn toad. You poked it, and it refused to give up his cubby hole. Should be easy to spear big ones for dinner.

Comment

very cool Joe, hope to see you guys at the M&G on the 11th

Comment

Working...
                        X