Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday - 7/27: Pohick Bay chasing LMB & snakies and anything else that will bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday - 7/27: Pohick Bay chasing LMB & snakies and anything else that will bite

Give me a shout in case you are interested.
    Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
    PowerTeam Lures
    Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Chuck what time are you heading up? Give me a ring and let's talk about launch locations.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Is Pohick Bay on the Virginia side, or Maryland side?

Comment

Va side, right by Ft Belvior
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Its located off of the Woodbridge exit for Rt.1 on I-95. About 10 minutes from the interstate. I plan on launching as soon as the park opens. It looks like there is a park entrance fee of $7 - is that the same for launching a kayak?
          PowerTeam Lures
          Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Comment

I'm working so can't get there until about 5PM but definitely interested. Haven't been out in a while and this is my backyard so... Anyone up to hit it at dusk?

The $7 entrance fee applies only to vehicles from out of the Northern VA area. It does not cover launching. The web page has a table showing non-jurisdiction launch fee for non-motorized hand carried craft of $9. http://www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay...boat_launching

Getting pricey to come visit! Maybe try to hook up with someone local and enter the park in their vehicle. If you come up often enough getting the Occoquan Water Trail annual pass might be worth it. It's $40 and includes entrance and launch fees to several area parks and launch sites. It's a good deal: http://owlva.org/cms/league-info/membership

As for launching, when you enter the boat launch area there's a sign to your right. Attached is a box with envelopes. Fill it out and add the fee for launching. There's a sandy beach area all the way in the back for kayaks.

Good luck! This is a great area for Potomac Pike and LM bass. When the tide is up go way back in to the creeks. Either Pohick or Accotink which is across the bay adjacent to Ft. Belvoir. Here's the NOAA chart: http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12289.shtml

Comment

Why can't you drag your yak to one of the beaches? I did it last time I visited. Another place is Mason Neck park. Same area but has tons of milfoil grass and weed lines for snakeheads and big bass to hang around.

Comment

9 bucks to launch a kayak, that's ridiculously greedy. Trying to put a price on every single little thing these days.
                What you give, you become.

Comment

How'd you guys do?!
                  www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                  Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

We had three people launch....redfish12, myself and Seth from KBF. We all landed fish and Chase some snakeheads. Mike and I had strikes from waking snakeheads but failed to get good hook sets. I even saw one snakehead that was close to 40". It was a great day on the water. Can't wait to get back.
                    PowerTeam Lures

Comment

Fished sunset all by myself. You guys must have left long before 5pm. It was slow at first but once the sun got low it was game on. Several nice LM bass and blowups. Had a massive Potomac Pike on. Huge blowup and when he felt the hook came out of the water and... off. Damn! Maybe that 40"er you saw but he was at least 36". Gonna hit it more regularly...

Comment

Sorry we missed you. We were heading out by 3:00. Glad you had some luck.
                        PowerTeam Lures

Comment

Sounds like a great day to be out I actually can't wait to get back and throw my beloved rage toads.
                          www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                          Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Sweet. Sounds like there are some monsters lurking there. Leesylvania was fun, and it sounds like I'll have to hit Pohick next time I visit my folks.
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                            X