South river crabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South river crabs

I went crabbing for about three hours Thursday evening at our community marina. I caught two dozen large and jumbo crabs. I had some throwbacks but not as many small crabs as in prior outings. This may have to do with the moon phase and tide. I noticed that the moon was full, so possibly some of the smaller crabs are moving up to sluff. A good year of crabbing continues.

My newly acquired method of using small extension springs to hold down the chicken neck saves a lot of time. It also makes it simple to refresh the bait. These can be had a most hardware stores. Anyone using collapsible traps should install some springs.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM. Reason: addition

thanks for the report, this winter i think ill get set up for some crabbing next year

Comment

nice report. i have yet to go crabbing this year. Hopefully I can make it out soon.
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

usually the best crabs are in sept. and october.

Comment

Crabbing

I agree the best crabbing is still to come this year. I have just recently got back into crabbing and fishing, since I retired. The method of going off the piers at the marina reminds me of when I was a kid. It is well worth the time to get set up with a few traps. It is some of the best eating from the Bay. There were some small fish, possibly small stripers or blues, busting on the small menhaden. I think next time I am going to take a rod with me for the time between checking the traps. It is amazing how much fun one can have using more simple methods of doing things, or scaled down means. Such as kayak fishing or as crabbing from a dock. In years past I would use a boat and not be satisfied unless I got my limit of crabs, even though I did't need more than two or three dozen for my family. This is why in my fishing endeavors, I believe in keeping things simple. Things tend to get out of hand.

Comment

Working...
          X