Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT CBBT 21-22 Jul 2012

HRBT-South, Sat

Was on the water at 0830 hrs at Willoughby Spit. Cloudy, overcast, 80's, and light/medium breeze. Current got fairly strong in the PM.

Was ready to quit after 3 pm, but a storm came by. It blew, it poured, it sprayed and it splashed. Kept me fishing under the bridge until it cleared, which was over an hour later, and it still sprinkled when I went in.

Anyway, caught black sea bass, a short flounder, and of course, lots of croakers and toads.

CBBT, Sun

Was on the water at 0630 hrs and caught the outgoing tide. Mostly sunny with some gray clouds (with some sprinkle). Much better day, but the winds, current and chops picked up in the PM. There were no other yakers out there, only a few boats.

Headed out toward the 1st island with clams and two dozen fiddlers. I fished at 15' to 35' depths, and after hours of fishing for sheeps, I caught croakers and toads. I was out of fiddlers and disappointed, so I tried for flounder a little while and caught only black sea bass and more croakers and toads. I did try for spades, but in the PM the wind picked up, current came up and the chops/swells were up 3+ feet. It was hard to fish the pilings so I didn't do much spade fishing.

Hey, Matt. No rule against ugly fish on the Leaderboard, right? So here's the largest toad (14") I ever caught.

Tried this rig (pic: 1 oz bell sinker with #4 hook for spades; #2/0 for sheeps; smaller sinker next to hook is 1/4 oz) for the first time. Worked well. Seemed more sensitive than the tandem rig I used last time.

See pic: That's how the fellow at Oceans East told me to hook the crabs

HRBT: 1st and 2nd pics
    CBBT: 3rd and 4th pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Did you try floundering around the SBC? I think they like that area.

Has anyone tried out the bait saver hooks? I wonder if that will work and help keep those fiddlers on for 1 more bite.

Comment

What's SBC? I worked the HRBT pilings from 8' to 30' for flatties. At CBBT, I jigged the pilings around 15' and 30-35' deep but only for a little while because my target was sheeps and spades.

If those bait savers work better than regular j-hooks, I'll definitely use them. Seems like you'll only catch more croaker and toads though.

Comment

Small Boat Channel. It's the spans where you see like 3 lights.. 2 green and something else I think. There's 2 of them on the CBBT. The first set is where I caught the drum. The 2nd set is closer to the island and where I caught the really nice flatties.

This is the bait saver hook I seen on tv.

http://www.baitsaverhooks.com/

Comment

I'll add it Tufnik! congrats on the large toad haha

Comment

That is a big toad! I have caught jumbo toads like that off the Jetty in Myrtle beach, Huntington beach state park, Murrels inlet. Sc.
            What you give, you become.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the lack of sheeps and spades, but that is a toad to be proud of. How big were the sea bass?
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yes, I think I did some jigging for flatties as far as the SBC lights nearest the island.

Sea bass. Small, much less than a foot.

Yeah, those oyster toads are ugly, but I caught so many of them. May as well enjoy them. They are tasty, and it put me on the leaderboard as a first. I'm sure someone will catch a bigger one soon. Too bad there's no citation for them.

Comment

Working...
                X