Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP/OC Inlet 7/22-23

Sat 7/22 CHSP

Fished CHSP with Jack (Pinch) and Josh (Yakfisher). The morning was ROUGH....wind, waves, chop, rainy, crappy, you name it. We started at the pier jigging for flounder and spot to liveline, it was pretty slow. I only managed a 16-17 incher and few spot. We then headed to the breaker wall, to fish for tog and trigger fish. The night before, we had bought shrimp, crabs and clams. Fished all morning only to catch toads, toads, toads and more toads. I caught more toads that morning than I did all year. In the afternoon, the croaker bite started to pick up, tons of croaker between 8-13inches. As we continued to work the breaker wall, I felt a strong bite, set the hook and WOW, what a fight. Caught a 16inch trigger fish. My first trigger ever! There was one other boat fishing next to us which I saw land 2 decent sized triggers. Seen up close, they are really beautiful fish.

Sun 7/23 OC

Being only 45min from OC, Pinch and I decided to drive down from CHSP and try OC for sheapheads and trigger fish. While working the rock piles in the inlet and catching nothing but croaker, my rod gets slammed down. YESS....sheapshead, wrong it was 20 inch flounder that hit on a tog rig with mole crabs. I didn't know flounder liked mole crabs, but hey, ill take it. Pinch on the other hand, was livelining a spot and managed to land a 36inch striper. The look on the boaters face's was priceless! With no luck on sheaps and triggers we hit the rt 50 bridge and I managed 3 more flounder, a 16, 17.5 and 21.

Fun times, except for the launch at CHSP, next investment, beach wheels!

Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

That trigger fish looks awesome. Plus a couple flounders for the table.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Grilled,

I am so glad that you caught trigger fish. What was the bait and rig? I need some details.

I got there at 9:00AM at the parking lot and arrived at the big rock pile where three kayakers were fishing. Found that I don't know any of them. I found that I don't have your and pinch's phone numbers. I stopped seraching you guys and fished for 3.25 hours very hard at the rock plie with blue crab and fiddler crab. I caught 3 tod fish and a shark (dogfish).

When I get back to the parking lot at 01: 45pm, I saw Pinch's truck. If I knew/remember Josh was fishing, I could call him. I have his number

I was fishing with a boater and 3 kayakers. The boater and I was there for Tog and Sheepshead, and the kayakers were there for flounder and a kayaker caught two keeper flounder on live minnows. We were chatting all along. The boater said he had caught tog in july in the past few time on sandflee. But he caudht only one sheepshead in summer so far. He said the water is to warm for tog and too cold for sheepshead.

Thank you for the report
      Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-22-2012, 09:58 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Good work on the flatties. Looks like OC is the place now, especially when HRBT hasn't been producing for me.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
          Grilled,

I am so glad that you caught trigger fish. What was the bait and rig? I need some details.

I got there at 9:00AM at the parking lot and arrived at the big rock pile where three kayakers were fishing. Found that I don't know any of them. I found that I don't have your and pinch's phone numbers. I stopped seraching you guys and fished for 3.25 hours very hard at the rock plie with blue crab and fiddler crab. I caught 3 tod fish and a shark (dogfish).

When I get back to the parking lot at 01: 45pm, I saw Pinch's truck. If I knew/remember Josh was fishing, I could call him. I have his number

I was fishing with a boater and 3 kayakers. The boater and I was there for Tog and Sheepshead, and the kayakers were there for flounder and a kayaker caught two keeper flounder on live minnows. We were chatting all along. The boater said he had caught tog in july in the past few time on sandflee. But he caudht only one sheepshead in summer so far. He said the water is to warm for tog and too cold for sheepshead.

Thank you for the report
          Joe

Joe, sorry we missed you out there. I was using a tog rig with 2 dropper loops, but with smaller hooks. 1/0 and 2/0 Owner SSW hooks. We had shrimp, blue crabs, and clams. The trigger hit on the shrimp and I had a few hits on the clam also. I caught nothing on blue crab.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Good work on the flatties. Looks like OC is the place now, especially when HRBT hasn't been producing for me.
            have you been seeing stripers in the light line?
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Grilled,
              I had shrimp, live clam (from Lotte), and size 2,1, 1/0, 20/ 4/0 hooks all rigged. Din't have time to use them all.
              Shrimp! - I always carry them even for Red drum and Specks. It works for Trigger fish? It is the must have.
              Trigger Fish - I’ve been reading fishing tips for months. But never thought about it.Now I have one more reason to hit CHSP.
              Thanks for the info.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-23-2012, 06:21 AM.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                have you been seeing stripers in the light line?
                I've been doing only daytime fishing, mainly for flounder. I do use a double lure rig: bucktail/squid (and sometimes jerkshad) on the bottom and chartreuse curly tail on the top. If there are stripers around, they should at least hit the curly tail. Haven't caught any stripers yet.

No togs, huh? Well, maybe we'll have better luck in VA since tog season opens 1 Aug, not 23 Sep.

Did you guys launch off the marina at the corner of Golf Course Rd and Sunset Ave at OC? I think I'd like to fish Rt 50 bridge next weekend.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Very nice on the triggerfish and flounder!
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon
                  IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

nice run! moc and i were saying we wish we had the time to do that

Comment

I’m zeroing in on Trigger Fish. Thanks to Grilled. I am doing everything to go fishing this coming Sat. I will be ready for trigger fish, just trigger fish!!!

Tufnik,

Your PM box is full.

As of now I am going to CHSP. I saw two keeper flounders caught by an angler next to me, next to where we fished earlier. I am going for trigger fish at the point which is the opposite side of the light house, deep with edges/slopes.

Last year the members caught many flounders around the piers once

joe

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Great report, and nice work on the flatties. I always thought that triggerfish were more tropical/sub-tropical, but it seems like they can be distributed as far north as Nova Scotia. I wonder how far in the Chesapeake they come?
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

according to the Fisherman magazine they are showing up in back bays in NJ and NY also

Comment

Working...
                          X