Greetings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings!

Hello everybody. I've been checking out your great site for a few days. Over the weekend I had a lengthy conversation with Tom in the Basspro shop about kayaking and he recommended I check this out. I have to tell you, I'm really excited about getting started in kayaking! I've been doing as much research as possible and I would like to buy a kayak this weekend and get started setting up.

I live in Annapolis, been fishing all my life (primarily fly fishing trout streams), but always stuck to land. I've also put many thousand hours in at the narrows, again from the side, while I lived on Kent Island.

I'm looking for any and all suggestions/advice. Not completely sure what kayak I want, I'm thinking the Ocean Endeavor at BassPro. I think it's a branded version of the Prowler but again, I'm open to suggestions. Budget wise $1500 or less would be nice for the yak, knowing I've got to accessorize on top of that. l plan on fishing off of Hemminways, SPSP and in the Narrows for starters. I've never been in a kayak, what is the learning curve like? Is it reasonable to expect to be fishing within a couple of outtings? My 18yr old daughter, who is not not most coordinated person, has no problems with kayaks.

I'm usually much more laid back than this, I promise, just excited to be here and really looking forward to getting started.

Jimbo.
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

..or after looking at hobies i need to up the budget a little. Pedal or paddle??
    -Jimbo-

Comment

Hey Jimbo and welcome! I'm pretty new myself but I'll help out where I can I'm sure you're going to get a lot of opinions on this issue.
      First, unlike most people I'm a self professed Hobie hater so I vote for anything you can paddle! I would say if you're going the paddle route definitely aim for something 13-14 feet. Also, like most people will say, if you can go on a test paddle. Preferably with your best fishing buddy so you have a way to gauge your progress on the water. I'm a big fan of the skinny kayaks because I'm a fairly small guy and I love the speed aspect but there are plenty of super stable boats out there like the Ride 135 and some in between like the Prowler. It all depends on you really. As far as fishing goes, you can go fishing your first time out! I actually recommend it because it'll give you a chance to get used to where and how you place all of your gear. Also, if it's still warm once you get your yak I'd spend a little time on self rescue. It really gives you a lot of confidence if your kayak rolls but also really lets you feel what it's like before it's about to happen! You'll learn your boat can probably lean a lot further than you think it can initially. It's overall a great, cheap(can be expensive), and addicting sport. My dad is hooked after going out only once. You really should have no trouble finding a quality boat with your budget with quite a bit of money to spare. Might even be able to afford another rod or reel! Hope this helps.
      www.anglerswithoutborders.com
      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Kayaks

For now, I'm a paddle guy. I use an Ocean Kayak, Big Game Prowler. I also have a Prowler Trident. The more narrow Trident does paddle much easier. So there is a marked difference in how the wider vs the narrow kayaks paddle. The Trident is also longer, 15', which makes it a good tracking kayak. This is more noticeable when you are out with more wind and chop. Thats a hugh consideration. There are those situations where you will be fighting a breeze and waves. I am a chubby guy so the wider big game prowler fits me better. It also has a large load capacity, 600 lbs. I also use an electric motor for trolling, so the extra capacity allows for added motor and battery, or should I say batteries in my case. This may give you an idea of the range of the your considerations. Kayaks are like kayakers, they come in all shapes and sizes. Its the beauty of the sport. You do not have to be like an athlete to be a kayak fisher. I am very casual about how I go about the sport, dedicated by casual. Keep it fun.

The foot powered boats are a consideration. I am considering one myself, only for the layout of the pro angler. However, in my opinion, the pro angler is not really a kayak. Its a small boat that handles like a kayak, even Hobie representatives make that admission. However, so what, as most would say. The one thing I like about the pro angler is the electric motor option, which is designed to drop into where the foot pedals go. I like that set up, so one could carry the foot drive as a back up and a paddle to backup the backup. However, the paddle kayaks are more quiet if you do any amount of fresh water fishing. You can move along very quiet with a paddle, in very soft strokes if needed. And in spite of what some may say, even bass can be sensitive. Of course after reading this, not so senssitive as some kayakers when it comes to paddle vs peddle, or even those vs electric.

I don't know where you are from, but a good place to try out kayaks is Annapolis Canoe and Kayak, at 311 Third Street in Annapolis. They are right near the water where you can launch. That way you can fish Spa Creek and parts of the Severn. Depending how much time you have. You can even fish the Spa Creek bridge and dodge a few boats. You can pretend that you are out at the Bay Bridge. Get some experience before you go to the Bay. If there are any kinks in your system the Bay will find them. This is not to scare you but give some thought to your set up.

Also don't forget about kayak makers such as Malibu, Native, Wilderness and even Future Beach, which is an inexpensive kayak, built very solid. Its really a fun sport, and you can take your kayak just about anywhere. Don't forget to think about how you are going to trasport your kayak. Thats a whole other consideration.

Comment

Jimbo, welcome, hope you can make the meet and greet Sept 11th. I have both types, for a short quick trip on a calm day I will paddle, less gear to haul around, for longer trips/on the bay I prefer to peddle. For me I can fish longer, using leg muscles and in rougher seas, higher winds I find that peddling, (with a rudder) I make better progress moving through the water and also holding on one spot. I like to think I get some exercise while I am kayaking so I troll a lot, caught many rockfish in the fall when they are up in the rivers on the eastern shore, with my Hobie revolution I will throw a couple lines out, peddle for a while and then paddle for a while. Do this for a couple hours and you feel like you have done a workout maybe even catch a fish or two.
          One thing to consider is renting a kayak for a day before you buy, I know the shop down here in Easton will apply the rental cost to a purchase if you decide to buy. I am sure other places must do the same. Also this is the end of the season so kayak shops should have sales soon especially if you want to consider a used kayak.

Comment

Welcome Jimbo..glad to have you aboard. Your gonna love kayak fishing. I fished a lot from the surf also, SPSP, KN, Assateaque but once I got into kayak fishing I never went back. Its a lot of fun, and you catch just as much fish if not more than boaters. Have you tried going to backyard boats in Annapolis? You can test out different models there if you are unsure what to get. Also, if you shop around you can find good deals on 2009 and 2010 models as companies are pushing out their new 2011 lines.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

........ remember ...... you can paddle a pedal but you can never pedal a paddle ........

I can't say much because I haven't used mine yet but almost everyone loves their Hobies and I've heard alot of yakers that wish they had one .........

Most yakers seem to get Ocean Kayaks, Wilderness or Hobie .... they seem to be well made and track well ......

You might consider checking out the Kayak dealers instead of chain stores because that is their only business and they can usually help you best with your selection and they usually have yaks you can try ....... oh and they usually sell their stock/demonstrators at nice discounts at the end of the year ..........

Another option is to buy a used one ........ there are usually some around fully outfitted much less than your budget .......

Trade offs are speed vs stability (thin vs wide) ....... length ...... for the bay 13+ ft is usually recommended .......

The above is from the research I did before I bought ....... I bought a used Wilderness Ride and a Hobie Pro Angler because I'm a older heavier guy who values stability over speed and always on the lookout for a deal ........ I got the 2 of mine for a total of $2300 including shipping ..... so the deals are out there .........

Good luck with your search .......

Comment

Kayaks

Hey, I'm glad there are others like me, built for comfort and not for speed.

Comment

i personally would rather spend more time fishing than paddeling back to where i drifted away from, thus why i choose a hobie. but then, there are guys that can do everything with a paddle in their hand, like Kayak Kevin. there are demo days at area kayak dealers or they will just let you try them out, give them a call. some in Annapolis and a couple on Kent Isalnd
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    Hey, I'm glad there are others like me, built for comfort and not for speed.
                    Naaa ........ I'm built more like the anchor ........... just hope I don't have the first kayak submarine

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                      i personally would rather spend more time fishing than paddeling back to where i drifted away from, thus why i choose a hobie. but then, there are guys that can do everything with a paddle in their hand, like Kayak Kevin. there are demo days at area kayak dealers or they will just let you try them out, give them a call. some in Annapolis and a couple on Kent Isalnd
                      ditto anappolis canoe and kayak and backyard boats are right next to each other. try some out. oh welcome!

Comment

I upgraded to the Hobie Outback this year and I'll never go back. I think the extra money is worth it for the versatility. For example, I posted a few times on crabbing with a trotline on the Hobie. I wouldn't have been able to do this without the pedals. I used to drop traps in my paddle kayak but the paddle is one more thing to get in the way. Also, the type of fishing I do is well suited for the pedals. I haven't made it to SPSP yet, but I do a lot of bass fishing which means I'm constantly moving along the shoreline. The ability to have a rod in my hands at all times is quite an advantage. I also find that trolling is a breeze.

To be honest with you, I got mine from craigslist at a steal. I bought mine for $1k and with it I got the sail kit, outriggers, cart and tackle box. Although used, you could barely tell everything wasn't brand new. I'm not sure what others think, but I love the outriggers. It makes me feel very stable in some chop. It took a little while to get the deal I wanted but patience paid off. If you're not in a super rush that may be a good way to go. It seems that there are some for sale generally in the Philly/Jersey area. I drove up there to get mine but the right price makes it worth it. I just did a quick search and someone just posted an Outback for sale today for $1050...here's the link: http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/1918482212.html

These usually don't last long so if you are interested I'd move quick. I lost one before I bought the one that I did. Like I said, I love the Outback and at this price (if all is good with it) it's a nice deal. I'd wouldn't buy anything before 2007 though, as I believe there was an issue with the hull cracking near the mirage drive. A quick search will yield plenty of results if you want to check that out. Good luck!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

Thank you everyone, for the welcomes and advice. I got so worked up about this over the last few days, I'm having a hard time waiting to get started. I will get two kayaks. My son will want to join me. This is where it gets a little funny. I can envision getting a peddle and a paddle, but I'm sure I'll take a lot of heat from my son if I'm cruising away in the peddle and he's beating the bay to death trying to keep up. Or simply if one, the one I'm in, is better suited for the application, I'll get a lot of grief. I'm sure as hell not getting four though. Not for starters anyway.

The question about transporting is one I've been thinking about. I assume I can use the foam pads with tie down for local transport, but it looks like that set up wont work for two yaks. I drive a volvo sedan, with no luggage rack. I guess I have to get the thule luggage rack and a Malone Stax Pro carrier that will handle two yaks on their sides http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults. Is there a less expensive alternative?
                          Yaks Fish, thanks for the heads up on the hobie in Brick. That is going above and beyond.
                          -Jimbo-

Comment

look for the racks that have pull out extension to help load, SOT kayaks can be heavy and putting them on "J" type carriers can be difficult

Comment

Well, I plan on getting an Outback at Eastern Cycle and Sport tomorrow. Haven't decided if I'm going to get a '13 Prowler too, for my son and would give me some diversity, or just get two Outbacks. I may see what my son has to say about the Outback before I buy a second.

What's the deal with an anchor trolley?
                              -Jimbo-

Comment

Working...
                              X