New here:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here:

Just stoppin' in to say hello to all! Looks like the Maryland/ Delaware area has got themselves a nice site here!

Been skimmin' through....some great Reports and Fish-Pics!!!

Most on the Northern sites have died out on Reports lately....it's NICE to see Yakr's putin' some fish on the decks!!!
    WURK2FISH

Nice to have you all the way from Jersey!!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
        Nice to have you all the way from Jersey!!

Thanks! Not originally from NJ.....grew up, lived and fished the Lower Chesapeake Bay outta' Chesapeake VA all my younger life(32 yrs.). Been up here in NJ for 12 years now.........sometimes I sure MISS home!!!

I get down and fish the Chesapeake in the Winter for the Cows at Kipto.........done that for the past two Winters and did well!

Thanks for the "Welcome aboard" guys!!!
        WURK2FISH

Comment

Welcome! Nice to have you. I thought there was a pretty good kayak fishing community in NJ. Have you found stripersonline.com and kayakfishingstuff?

Several on this board have been promoting a monthly meet & greet group outing. The next one is September 11th on Tilghman Island. Check the main forum for details. Hope to see you there!

BTW, regarding Kipto, several of us have that on our bucket lists. Maybe you'd like to run one of these M&G's and act as guide.

Again, welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
            Welcome! Nice to have you. I thought there was a pretty good kayak fishing community in NJ. Have you found stripersonline.com and kayakfishingstuff?

Several on this board have been promoting a monthly meet & greet group outing. The next one is September 11th on Tilghman Island. Check the main forum for details. Hope to see you there!

BTW, regarding Kipto, several of us have that on our bucket lists. Maybe you'd like to run one of these M&G's and act as guide.

Again, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the "Welcome Aboard"!

Yes.....we've a good community of Yakr's up this way......all the way up into New England. I guess everyone has just gottin' too busy....or possibly lazy on their Reports .

I'm a member of most every board there is up this way. Just not many reports going on from in NJ.....up North....that's a different story!

I fish with a good crew, including my wife, on Jersey Cape Kayak Fishing Team 2 in Kayak Wars 2010. We're doing fairly well in this contest......but getting a keeper has been tough lately!

As for being a "Guide" to Kipto on a "Meet&Greet".......it would be tuff for me to do so in a "Pre-Organized" manner.......as my windows of opportunity to get to Kipto revolve greatly around the Weekends when the fish are in and the wind....and work of course. I usually keep an eye on reports and when it starts to heat-up.....I look for my "Wind-Window" to make the 5 hr. run down. I would HATE to plan a M&G and have the weather smoke us out!!!

I'll be down one or two weekends this December and would not mind at all showing some who have never fished there the ropes......but I don't think anyone here will have any problems going solo and blind as I did my first time and catching fish! I caught fish 2 out of 3 trips down.....nice fish! It's a live eel fishery....which all the live-liners on here with Spot will have no problem doing the same there....just with Eels. Just remember.....it's COLD! Both years when I fished it was in the mid-twenties in the dark with 45-48 degree water temp. Cold weather gear is a MUST!!!

I've some nice pics and a decent story wrote-up that I will include in an additional comment!
            WURK2FISH

Comment

Welcome and thanks for joining. So far its been a pretty good summer fish wise. Nothing makes me happier than seeing yakers out on the bay catch more fish than the boaters
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

A good "Adventurous" Fishin Trip that many Yakr's are heading out for each year lately is Kiptopeke Va. at the "Concrete Ships. An AWESOME Fishing trip to say the least for us to ponder for this coming year.....as we're now Snow-Bound!

I've personally made the trip down three times......twice in '08 and once in '09 where my Wife(KAYak) also made the trip. It's well worth the time and effort if you watch the Southern Water Temps, Reports and Weather starting in early December and plan to make your "Commando Run"!!! Here's our story from this past December '09 Trip with some '08/'09 pics included:

Here's "The Story"........six hours sleep Thursday night.........up @ 5:30 AM on Friday lookin' at the Weather Forecast.......iffy.......off to Work.......Wife checks Weather @ 10:00 AM and calls me @ Work on AM-Break! STILL IFFY but the Evening for Saturday looked HOPEFUL with SE Winds under 10 on one Site and around 11-12 Knt.s on another..............we're goin'!!! Left Work @ 11:00 AM........packing....Eels....dinner...etc., etc.! Lay'd down @ 6:00 PM and up @ 9:30 PM.........3 HOURS Sleep.........here we go COMMANDO!

Left the House @ 11:10 PM......get to Kipto in 4 Hours 50 Min.........in the Parking lot in the Park and staring at a Nasty Swell inside the Ships at around 4:30 AM..................(2) other Yakr's setting up to go.......(1) other in his Truck.....said he'd been there an hour and we took the walk over to the Rail....looked out......swell was subsiding........he packed-out and (3) went in @ around 5:00 AM.....wife and I set-up and got dressed.......swell dropping still but gonna be a RUFF AM Session!!!

Got out at before First-Light......fished Hard with Wind against Current the entire Morning.......1-3 Ft. Swells Runnin' right down the Southern Set of Ships all morning.....tuff Fishing with no results for us!!! Heard of (4) Fish caught......we saw one of em but couldn't see the Fish(Still Dark).....heard he took a 40 In. for his keeper and called it! We got the AM Skunk!!! Pulled out at around 8:45 and headed for Hardees Biscuits and Gravy , Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuits.......and of course we got a (6) Pack of Cinnamon and Raisin Biscuits for the Ride over the CBBT to see Family during the Day We decided the Mid-Day Session was out as Forecast for Mid-Day was the same as the AM!

Visited Relatives and friends for short hops at each in Chesapeake and Va. Beach...........headed back over and was in the H2O by 4:30 PM.........what a difference!!!!!! Winds outta the SE and LOW!!! Almost Back Bay conditions...........bite turned on just at Sun-Set with a guy coming by us from Winston Salem NC with a nice fish.......looked to be at least a 48 In......and FAT!

We headed to the end of the Southern Set of Ships.......already occupied.....so we eased over to the Stakes and sat on a Pole when another Yak'r came up to his pole dropped and BANG.....he was on!!! He JUST got there! Then another.......and another.....and another. 12 Yak's up and down the Stakes.......Hook-ups coming from all up and down! It's on! Wife and I are Workin' it.......set my Rod in the Holder for a sec in Free spool with the clicker on.....no sooner than I set it down.......zip-zip......picked it up set the hook and it was on!!! Told my Wife to keep Fishing and not to follow me as I was towed down Current. REALLY wanted her to get a KEEPER Fish this Year!!! Got my Sleigh Ride, fought her around for (2) good runs this way and that way......leader'd her up and used the Double-Lip with Leg Assist Landing! She's in! One Fish in the Bag........Get back to the Stakes and coach the Wife.....She's BEAT.....I'm BEAT........HOPING to get her on 'em!!! I left my old Eel from the first fish on...........put it down and was just messin' with it down not really tryin' to get another but let the Wife get Her fish.........another 45 minutes........saw a few more caught........nibble......nibble......set the hook.....another Run-Around and Bigger Fish in the Boat..........Wife hadn't hooked-up.........so made the Decision and took the second Fish! Pulled back up on the Stakes.......first Words from the Wife....."Can we go now"??? She was beat!!! At this point we were both around 20 hrs. without sleep. Time to call it!!!

Headed in.....took pics.......packed-up.........ride home..........27-1/2 Hr. COMMANDO Kipto-Trip '09!

'08 46-1/2 In. @ 40 Lbs.:

'09 Wife ahead of me...heading to the stakes:

The "Pay-Off":
                WURK2FISH

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
                  Welcome and thanks for joining. So far its been a pretty good summer fish wise. Nothing makes me happier than seeing yakers out on the bay catch more fish than the boaters

Thanks!!! We've done pretty good up here this Summer in the Backwaters with Flounder/Small Striper and Tog......the boats do get frustrated at times watching us nail fish they can't get to
                  WURK2FISH

Comment

GREAT story! Now I'm excited. I'm a relative noob at kayak fishing but have had my share of 40+lber's from the surf (I know about that commando fishing in the surf!) and live lining eels & bunker from boats. Getting one in a kayak has got to be the ultimate!

Post up when the time comes and maybe some of us can sync up. Not sure if I'm up for commando trips anymore but reports like that get me going!

P.S. Awesome that your wife will get out there with you in those conditions! Here I thought I was lucky with my fair weather kayaker!

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                      GREAT story! Now I'm excited. I'm a relative noob at kayak fishing but have had my share of 40+lber's from the surf (I know about that commando fishing in the surf!) and live lining eels & bunker from boats. Getting one in a kayak has got to be the ultimate!

Post up when the time comes and maybe some of us can sync up. Not sure if I'm up for commando trips anymore but reports like that get me going!

P.S. Awesome that your wife will get out there with you in those conditions! Here I thought I was lucky with my fair weather kayaker!
                      It's DEF awesome to catch larger fish from the Yak....they look a lot bigger coming up on the side of the Yak

The "Chatter" will start on all the sites as we move into Mid-November........usually by the first week of December....they're in!!!

I'm not sure it's as awesome as you may think getting the Wife out in the Winter.....she has to have ALL the Top-Notch gear......$25.00 Socks.....NRS Wool Suits....UnderArmour....THE WORKS!!!
                      WURK2FISH

Comment

Welcome and thanks for the story! be sure to post some pics of your welding abilities...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                          Welcome and thanks for the story! be sure to post some pics of your welding abilities...
                          Thanks stupidjet for the "Welcome"!

It'll take me a bit to get to upload pics of past projects........not doing the "Custom Fabrication" any longer anyways......glory day's gone by
                          WURK2FISH

Comment

That sucks, you made the best looking things i had seen on the net, no joke
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                              That sucks, you made the best looking things i had seen on the net, no joke

Thanks Jet!!! That means alot to me.....but when the Economy died.....so did the calls for Custom Orders.......the Fabrication Tools were the first to go in our cut-backs!!!
                              WURK2FISH

Comment

Working...
                              X