Baitcaster Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitcaster Question

I typically use spinning gear with a LH crank. Or, in heavier saltwater situations, conventional with a RH crank. Decided to try a baitcaster with a LH crank for LTJ the bay (I am RH). Picked up a middle of the road St. Croix Triumph with a Quantum Accurist with the flippin' switch. Seems like a decent outfit for a number of situations.

For those that use this type of setup do you fill the entire spool with braid or use any mono as backing? The reel holds 145 yds of 12lb test. In 20lb braid that might mean 290 yds.

Appreciate any insight!
    Thanks!

I don't use that exact setup but I always use at least some mono backing. The mono grips the spool better and prevents the line from from having any chance of spinning on the spool. Besides, with the price difference and the fact you will be hard pressed to use more than 50 yds of line at any one time, why not use mono backing Good fishin

chimo

Comment

Baitcast

I use two Shimano Calcutta TE reels. One with left hand retrieve and one with right hand retrieve for either side of the kayak, works best for me. I use them mostly for trolling and some casting. I also use a Curado, LH retrieve, for most of my casting. I have always used all braided line on spools. The original argument for the mono backing, aside from cost, was because older reels were designed for mono, the spools would sometime warp and not work properly when and if the braid tightened up. I have never had that problem even with my older reels. I have been using braided line since it first came out. The line slip problem has been resolved in some of the newer reels by the addition of grooves in the spools. If no grooves, a piece of tape on the spool before the line is put on will do the trick.

One more money saving hint. Braided line lasts several seasons, as opposed to mono, which should be replaced at least every year. After a few seasons, the line closer to the spool is still in great shape. You will have probably only used about 100 to 150 yards of the line on top of the spool. So, simply take the old line, which is still very strong, and reel it onto another reel. That way the top line which was on top is now you backing on the new reel, and the newer good line is ready to fish. Its merely a reversal. It is like having new line for another few seasons. You won't have the worry, should you hook into that trophy, of an older mono backing. You will also have maintained greater line capacity. Just a thought, just a thought. This is not to say that there are other views on the matter.
      Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-24-2010, 12:06 AM. Reason: error

Comment

If you're pretty good at casting a baitcaster then I would use the mono backing to help fill the spool and provide the added benefits listed above (backing, spool slippage, fill, cheaper, etc). If you're not that great then I'd start with mono, much cheaper to cut away should you throw a bird's nest.

The more full your spool is the more force it will have after casting, aka keep spinning. A half full spool is easier to cast than a full spool.

I've gotten really good at casting my revo and I picked up a used abu reel over the weekend for $20 bucks to beat up on the kayak. Hopefully I'll be ok with it too... wanted something to try Jskinner's method. My biggest problems with this type of reel come when something unexpected happens on the kayak. I threw a monster bird's nest down in Topsail throwing a redfish magic when the spoon hit my other rod and didn't fly, but the spool kept spinning.... big mess!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Backlash

Just a note on backlashes. Not if, but when you throw one, try this method of working your way out of the backlash. Tighten down your drag all the way. Put your thumb on the spool with alot of pressure till it is difficult to crank against, and crank your reel. Then press the casting bar and pull some line out. If not all of the backlash comes out, repeat the process until you work your way through the backlash. A bit of a warning, there will still be some backlashes that won't come out. However, I have relatively few that don't.

Good luck.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-24-2010, 12:48 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

I plan to use this set up mostly for jigging, pitching and probably some light trolling so hopefully backlashes won't be too much of an issue. But I'm sure I'll give a it a toss when there's a blitz! I'll spool up and practice in the yard.

Good tips, guys. Reversing the line a definite money saver. I've done that on my spinning reels. I do like the LH / RH idea for trolling in the kayak. I can see the benefits there. Thanks!

Comment

Watch out when that blitz comes... I can throw all day without a problem, see breaking fish and I can just about snap my rod by backlashing so hard.

That flipping switch will be nice for jigging the pilings! Heard you're crossing over, going to get that moss colored one or did you find a different one?

Comment

Baitcaster

Isn't that amazing, that blitz/backlash thing. It must be a force of nature. I'm the same way.

Comment

I will try to control my enthusiasm in one of those blitzes! And have a spinning rod handy as backup!

Yep, crossing over to the peddle side. After seeing and reading more it's the way to go for me. Funny thing on that moss one, we traded emails and then I never heard back. But I did find another with Bryan's help. Just put the deposit down on it. (thanks Bryan!!)

Comment

I fill the entire reel with braid and I put a piece of cloth tape on the spool which prevents slippage.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. One last question. I have a 150 yd spool of 20lb Power Pro. Supposedly the diameter of 6lb test. If the reel holds 145 yds of 12lb test mono that would be about half the spool. Is that ok? Does that affect performance at all? Or, should I get a larger spool of braid?

Comment

You'll pick up line faster with a larger diameter... it will be closer to your thumb... but it will have the problems of a larger potential backlash.

I'd say put about 15 yds of 20 lb mono or some other mono backing to fill it up a little more if I were you. Also, make sure you wind it on tight!

Comment

I don't like having that little volume on my reel. I prefer it closer to my thumb. I agree with Redfish. I would add some backing.

Comment

I use bait casting reels exclusively for fishing with lures or live bait. I have never thought of using a mono backing. I have both of mine spooled with about a million yards of the braided line, especially the larger salt water reel. It is a good idea. Has anyone tried it? The only possible drawback is the braided line may be able to squeeze between the larger mono under pressure and get tangled.

If you are new to bait casting I would use cheap mono at first. You screw up one to many times and you will be cutting off the entire spool of line (done it more than once). The drawback of mono is the memory; a problem with spinning reels but an even bigger problem with bait casting reels. After you are comfortable casting switch to the braided line with a flourocarbon leader.

Comment

I use a mono backing to prevent slippage. When using smaller dia braid 10 - 30 lb there is a chance that the braid will slip at the connection knot on the spool. Usually after the line has gotten wet several times. When this happens the entire spool of line will spin on the arbor. Not a good thing. You could also use tape as mentioned above to avoid this from happening. Don't ask how i found this out

Comment

Working...
                              X