Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snakehead and Bass in Pohick Bay in the hot summer days (July 7 and 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead and Bass in Pohick Bay in the hot summer days (July 7 and 8)

It is tough to fish for snakehead and bass in the hot summer days (100F+) in the shallow water. Though, here and there we catch them on top, surface lures.
    My go-to lure: Strike King Rage Tail Toad (Green Pumpkin Pearl Belly) for snakehead and bass

Fising Log for Redfish and Me"
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Glad to hear you've been fishing, Joe. Nice fish, too. I was surprised to see that the snakehead stayed so calm while you clipped its gills. Does having them in a net calm them down? The one I caught was going ballistic the entire time, even after I cut its gills and isthmus, until I got it into my cooler.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I love the video, great job fishing down there. I've never been to Pohick, but the habitat seems similar to Mattawoman. My hookups on the frogs is terrible, so I gave up and switched to a buzzbait. Maybe I need some larger hooks for the frogs.

Comment

Thanks for the video Joe, nice looking fish you guys caught.
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Man it was hot! Sorry I didn't bring a camera Joe!

I finally caught a fish on the live target frog. I do not have the patience for the twitch twitch twitch ..... waaaaaaaitt... twitch..... waaaait style of fishing. I'm working on it though. I've had several hits and a snakehead come off, but finally stuck one on this trip. Makes me feel better for buying such an expensive lure that I haven't caught on.

Bill, the ones I've killed lately were relatively calm while I was cutting them. I think net + scissors is the easiest.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice work! Love Pohick Bay

Comment

Great report!! I didn't know you guys still remembered how to paddle!

Comment

Bill,
                I've been working every day. I haven't had many large window of fishing. Snakehead tends to stay calm when it is wrapped inside the net. It might think it is hiding in the weed???

DanMarino,
                Yes. 5/0 hook is the correct size I think

Here is another video fishing log of Redfish and me a few weeks ago after work. The reason Redfish is very good at snakehead fishing is that he is very accurate when he cast. He drops the lure within 1-2 feet off the edge (weed line). I usually drop the lure within 2-6 feet off the edge. For snakehead, dropping the lure right on the edge is very important.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Sorry to hear work is getting in the way of fishing.

When I fished Leesylvania last month, Dad and I both had more blow-ups when we backed our yaks into the spatterdock and cast down the weed line. We usually got a hit somewhere along the line on the way back to the boat. Landing the fish was another matter, though.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                  X