PDA

View Full Version : 30+ fish morning / PB Smallmouth / Potomac River

camelbird
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Launched at 7am was off the water by 11. Fished Rage tail Craws, tubes, senkos, rapalas and roostertails - everything worked. Non stop catching fish, didn't even get time to eat the sandwich.

Usual targeted spots, eddies behind bolders / obstruction and deeper pools in between rapids.

Ultra light spinning tackle - 6lb test line

I even caught my first pumpkinseed of the year (looks like a cross between a sunfish and pumpkinseed).

At about 10am the sun started to get hot...HOT... I tied on a tube, lost it first cast, damn. Tied another one, lost it first cast. DAMN! Sweat was pouring off my face and the frustration sinking in...

Tied on a senko wacky rigged, first cast.... Stuck.... I give up.. but as soon as I started to lift the rod the line started moving, drag started screaming, nice. It pulled me onto a rock and I was t-boned in the fast current and almost flipped, fish went around the rock and left me stuck on a rock. Rod in one hand, paddle in the other shimmying my way off the rock, fish rippin drag I managed to get pried off the boulder and back out into the current. 3 minutes and a few runs later I pull up my personal best smallie.

Just Shy of 20" - about 3.5-4lbs.

Now to recoup in the AC.

DanMarino
07-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Awesome smallie Camelbird!!!! I've never caught a smallie that large.

You need to look into confidence baits draggin' heads. I have stopped using regular tube jigs and gone with these draggin' heads. I have yet to snag one and lose it.

FRED driver
07-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Great smallie...where did you launch from?

Shady
07-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Thats a really nice Smallmouth! I think the first fish pictured is actually a red-breast sunfish.
Check out JA Veil's post here for a pumpkinseed:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?4051-Severn-River-07-08-2012&p=40046#post40046

Cal
07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
What a fattie bronzeback, nice catch! good thing you didn't give up, he was the reward! I am also curious as to what part of the potomac you launched from.

I would love to tag along on any future potomac trips.:p

ictalurus
07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Sweet smallie there, Justin. Congrats on the killer day.

camelbird
07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys

I'll have to check out the confidence dragon heads.

I launched from River Bend Park, $5 launch, no motors, quiet. But just fair warning, it's taken me years of fishing that place to get that fish.

Maybe put together an MKF trip if it's not too far for everyone.

jffoley
07-09-2012, 02:08 PM
NICE smallie!! Congrats. I fish Riverbend occasionally as well. I got one there about that size maybe 10 years ago. On a floating Rapala. The smallest one they make. Go figure. Haven't fished there yet to this year, though. I'm up for a trip soon!

Hey 13, Those Confidence baits draggin' heads look great! Gonna check 'em out for sure. Local product, too. Thanks for the heads up.

DanMarino
07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Those draggin heads come in different sizes and weights and are really snag resistant. I think you'll like them for fishing any sort of soft plastic along the bottom of the river. If it's good enough for Jeff Little, it should work for me.

Saturday I launched from Swains Lock and went up on the MD side. Water was super clear, super low, and super hot. I thought there would be more grass growing in the river, but there wasn't much where I was at.

I might be hitting that area again on Friday.