301 Bridge 8.21.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 Bridge 8.21.10

Me and my girlfriend launched yesterday evening at the 301 bridge from the VA side in search of some redfish. Sadly, they haven't shown up yet and the blues that I usually catch this time of year weren't there either. We did run into massive amounts of white perch up to about a pound, croaker up to 18", and of course the ubiquitous catfish. My girlfriend was the only one that caught croaker but she had a blast and was surprised a little fish could fight so hard (she was using light gear, 8lb test). All the fish were caught on either gulp shrimp or squid. I didn't try to liveline any of the perch under the bridge because it was only her first time out but I'll give it a try again in a couple weeks.
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

nice report....thanks
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Should have gotten that citation!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yea...funny story about that!
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Where are you guys finding these ladies that are into kayak fishing? Maybe you need to give me a few of you pick up lines. haha

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            Where are you guys finding these ladies that are into kayak fishing? Maybe you need to give me a few of you pick up lines. haha
            lol...ill take one of them too
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

18" croaker and 1lb perch nothing to sneeze at. Nice report...

Comment

Nice report Jack, nothing wrong with citation croaker or WP!

TJ

Comment

I wish I had gotten the citation. After my girlfriend caught it I had no idea an 18" croaker was citation until redfish12 told me it was. The sad part is that I had that and a catfish on a stringer for dinner but when we beached the kayaks back at the car she ran over the stringer and it snapped. Both fish swam away swiftly and we both walked away we hurt feelings.

On a high note, I went back today and although there were no croaker the tide and wind were perfect. The striper blitz we encountered was mostly schoolies but this is EXACTLY what I experienced the year I had good luck with the puppy drum so maybe this year (anywhere from a week to three from now) the puppy drum will be back and bigger. ANY size redfish there is a citation so maybe we can get her another one.

As far as finding girls that want to fish...she has a few single friends......just sayin...
                  Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Croaker

I had to look that up. IGFA record for Atalntic Croaker is 8+ pounds. If we had croaker of that size, I could probably give up striper fishing. They are great fighting fish. I have heard tales from some of the old timers of 25 inch croaker in the bay, in this area, in many years past. They are great tasteing fish. The IGFA record was caught in the Chesapeake in Virginia in 2007. Too bad the larger ones do not get this far up the Bay.

Comment

I've been seeing some FAT croaker in the 18-22 inch range this summer coming off the boats at Rod n Reel. All been caught at night down at the Gooses south of Sharps Island.

Comment

Sharps Island is about 3 miles off the south tip of Tilghman, not sure how long of paddle/peddle we would be willing to make? Might be something to think about doing in a group?

Comment

At this point the croaker won't be around to much longer.

Comment

Thanks for the report, Jack. I was wondering how you guys did there. I still haven't gotten my redfish fix this year.
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                            X