Hobie Lesson, My Fault Son Lost Big Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Lesson, My Fault Son Lost Big Fish

We headed out to Tilghman today to check out the area for the M&G. Went out of Dogwood Harbor, had some real nice marks right out of the harbor toward the bay in about 10 ft of water. My son put on a 1/2 oz white jighead with an orange grub. About 15 minutes later I here him yell, "Hey Dad I can't reel anymore" without looking back I yell what do you mean you can't reel, he says "all the line is off the reel", then I look over, his rod is bent he is heading down the river and he has the paddle stuck under the other arm trying to do the one handed chicken paddle. I yelled at him to tighten the drag and try to get a couple winds on his reel, he did and he put it in the rod holder, then he started paddling he yelled, "I think it might be snagged" only problem was no matter how much he paddled tension stayed on the line. He took the rod out of the holder again and started reeling still moving down the river at a pretty good clip, I knew at the point he had a big fish on. I stayed close coaching him on how to play the fish, keep the tip up reel some, then lossen the drag a little let the fish run. After about 15 minutes he tells me his wrist is hurting, fish starts slowing and running, slowing and running, cutting back and forth around his kayak, then I made the mistake, I moved in on my Hobie to try and grab the line to help get the fish in the boat, I knew as soon as I did it, it was the wrong thing to do, the fish came back the other way and wrapped the line around the mirage drive, snap it was gone. I felt bad, in retrospect I should have pulled the mirage drive out before I got close or let him go longer until the fish tired more. A few minutes before that the fish took off the opposite way and I had to lift my rudder, when it started going under the stern of my boat. Not sure what kind of fish it was, could have been a skate, but afterwards we had a good laugh and it had to be one of the best fishing days I have ever had, nothing like watching your son fight a big fish from a kayak being pulled out into the bay!

Now that's some excitement! Too bad you guys didn't get a look but sounds like a lot of fun!

Comment

those big rays will really take u for a ride, some times u can put your feet over to put resistance on the fish and tire it out. giddy up little raydog!

Comment

Working...
      X