Spot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Question

With the all the recent success from the group live-lining at the Bridge I was wondering how long we can expect it to last?

How long do spot typically stick around?
    Croaker?

Do perch become an acceptable substitute for live-lining?

I know that fish will be around the structure of the bridge and rockpiles throughout the year, but I was just curious when you all will start changing your tactics.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Spot

I have caught spot well into October. Beyond that I am not sure. There was recently an article in Saltwater Sportsman about catching young of the year Menhaden with cast nets and using them as live line bait. The one caveat was that you need a good circulating livewell. Years ago I used to cast live eels around the Bay Bridge, with some sucess. With all of this talk of live line fishing, I may have to head up to the bridge.

One question that I have about spot, can spot be legally caught in pinfish traps in Maryland? I have always made bait by using rod and reel. However, I have seen some pinfish traps at some of the local tackle shops. When all is done, when the water cools off, my method of trolling deep diving crankbaits will come back into its own. Last fall was great for that tactic.

Comment

Last year the spot were pretty much all big for some reason hard to catch the right size.I caught most my fish on bucktails till the end of Sept.The big birthas start to arrive then but you need to have the right clothes,days get shorter and colder.trolling big bucktails by the channels is what seems to be the most popular method thats when you try for the 40"+ stripers.

Comment

This is great info! I've never tried to fish this area in the fall but I definitely will now. I do remeber those jumbo spot last year. I never did have a day where I caught the right size spot. As for the fall what size crankbaits are you talking? and are the sinking, floating, or suspending? Also, is it worth going out without a FF or is it almost mandatory? I've never had one and have done alright but in the fall (especially late) when the water seems void of life it seems like it could be difficult.
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Spot

I mostly use crankbaits in the 3 to 4 inch range. I'm fond of Rapala, even though I use Lucky Craft, Bagely, Bomber, Yozuri, Strike King and others. I like the X Raps. I also, on occasion, use the larger Rapala 15, 20 and 30s, saltwater baits, depending on conditions and water depth. I mostly use deep diving crank baits. The most productive color for me last year was a Rapala color, Silver Ghost. I troll in about the 3 mph range. Thats where the BassYak comes into its own.

The last date that I fished last year was December 5th. I use paddle pants and launch boots. This year I think I'm going to stocking foot waders and foul weather jacket.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-21-2010, 02:40 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
            I have caught spot well into October. Beyond that I am not sure. There was recently an article in Saltwater Sportsman about catching young of the year Menhaden with cast nets and using them as live line bait. The one caveat was that you need a good circulating livewell. Years ago I used to cast live eels around the Bay Bridge, with some sucess. With all of this talk of live line fishing, I may have to head up to the bridge.

One question that I have about spot, can spot be legally caught in pinfish traps in Maryland? I have always made bait by using rod and reel. However, I have seen some pinfish traps at some of the local tackle shops. When all is done, when the water cools off, my method of trolling deep diving crankbaits will come back into its own. Last fall was great for that tactic.
            I'm almost certain that you are allowed to catch spot in traps.

Comment

Good info guys!

You are absolutely not allowed to catch spot in traps. There is no provision for allowing anglers with a recreational license to capture fish by trap. Only commercial fisherman are currently permitted to take fish by trap, which includes spot in current regulations.

There's a good thread going on tidal fish about this.

Comment

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...sp?story_id=82

Comment

Spot pots

Thank you.

Comment

spots came in a little late this year so we should expect them to stay around a little longer due to the warm weather.
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

when the spot start to turn yellow about 2 weeks later they start to move out of the upper bay

Comment

Working...
                      X