Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT & CBBT 22-23 Jun 2012 (Fri, Sat)

HRBT-North, Fri

Launched at Ft Monroe and was on the water at 0830 hrs. Mostly sunny. Light breeze, in fact, not breezy enough. It was in the 90s and uncomfortably warm.

Worked the bridge pilings with a bucktails and curly tails for a while. I then went out to Hampton Bar flats, but jigged for only an hour on the flats and deep channel edges because it was too hot. I went back to fish under the bridge for the shade.

Just after 3 pm, dark clouds and a thunderstorm came by. I didn't worry about it because I was under shelter. Thunder and lightning was in the distance. Chops picked up to 1-2 feet. Winds blew at 20+ mph. Rain was pouring down. I continued to fish. At one point I was trying to unhook a flounder and the second hook on the rig from the net. The wind and waves pegged me against the pillings. Chops were splashing on the yak. The banging against the piling was a bit concerning. It was rough. Should I just cut the net? Had to get it loose quick, so I could get back to controlling the yak. No need to cut, I eventually got both hooks loose. The storm got me a little concerned, but I rode it out. It eventually passed, but it was still cloudy, sprinkling, and the wind was 15+mph.

In the end, I caught a blue, about two dozen croaker and nine flatties (12, 12 1/2, 12 1/2, 15, 15, 15, 15, 17, 19 "). Took home the two keeper flounder. BTW, I caught the 15, 17, and 19" flatties within 45 minutes during the duration of the storm.

CBBT, Sat

Met HokieDJ at the launch and we were on the water by 0630 hrs. Turned out to be a nice day. Temp in 80s. Mostly sunny. Light breeze. Chops, at most, were 1-2 feet. Rips weren't bad.

As we headed toward the first island three miles away, we worked the pilings for flounder. In the pm, I decided to try for spades. Hooked up a tandem rig with clams and dropped it along the pilings. Within seconds, BAM, double croakers. After that, it was pesky croaker after pesky croaker. No spades. I quit after an hour of the search for spades and went back to flounder fishing. When we quit, I caught two toads, two skates, black sea bass and probably 50 pesky croakers. BTW, we were on the water 12 hours, a record for me by two hours.

HokieDJ had a field day. He slayed a bunch of flatties and limited out. He had the technique down pat, but the biggest highlight was around mid morning. He'll give you details, but here's how I saw it.

When I looked at HokieDJ at one point, he was reeling a fish in. He was over 50 yards away. No big deal. I continued fishing. A few minutes later, I glanced at him again. It looked like he was reeling in another fish. Maybe he had a hot hand. Again, I continued to fish. Minutes later, I looked at him again, and again, he was reeling in another fish. At this point, he yelled out my name. I figured he wanted to show me a hot spot and maybe a monster flounder (little did I know what was really happening). So, I went.

When I got there, I saw that his rod was bent over silly. He was fighting a big one! (At this point, I'll stop so Dave can tell details of the story). He eventually landed it. He held it up and I took several pictures.

Can you believe that? This was his first time at CBBT, and he slayed flounder and hooked up a big Black Drum. Congrats again, Dave!

Pics from HRBT below. (Pics from CBBT on the next post)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-24-2012, 04:04 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Pics from CBBT

Pics from CBBT: Toad, skate, croaker bellies, Dave's Drum
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I think you tell a better story than me but yes that was the surprise of the day. I was jigging the bucktail and he took it. I fought him for 10 minutes after playing with the drag and letting him make
      his runs. He ended up being 35" (Is that a MKF record? ). As my luck goes, I paided a price for this fish. My VT hat and new Maui Jim's now belong in Davy
      Jone's locker after the rod butt slipped under my arms and knocked my hat and glasses of.

As for the flounder, I was dialed in that day for some reason. I caught most of the fish in 30' water, casting the in between the pilons and drifting to the end on the outgoing tide.
      The second boat channel fielded the most field. Ended up keeping a 17", 18.5", 19" and 21". Lost a 20"+ while I was getting the net and a 17" when he shook his head and the mouth
      ripped open while he was on the boga grip. Got another 2 keeper size and couple of more undersized ones. I must of thrown back 50 croakers and toads that day.

Great first time on CBBT even though I couldn't find any sheepies or spades.

He slimed me too.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by HokieDJ; 06-25-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Holy mackerel! Congrats on the drum, Dave. Great pics. That is so cool. Nice work on the flounder, too, guys.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Wow guys great job!. Good pics too Tuf!
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice work guys!!! Hokie that is a new record for Black drum, I'll update it!!!

Comment

nice, congrats on that drum!
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice trip boys! That is a nice drum!
                Cliff Williams
                Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice trip! I'm hoping to get down there next weekend if everything works out... I'll hit you guys up closer to next weekend to see your plans.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Hey, Dave
                    I was thinking. If that skate turned out to be a drum like yours, I'm not sure I would have landed it. On 12# mono?

Ryan,
                    Is that Sat, 7 Jul? I may go down again 6-7 Jul, depending on how things work out.

Comment

Yes, I'll likely leave early saturday morning from columbia and return home sunday. Wife is semi in approval as of now... Will have to work further for full approval...Ill bring squid strips for flounder and might pick up fiddlers to try for sheeps....
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Anything is possible. You'll just have to take a very long and careful time bringing them.

Next time just use 50# on your salt rods and you won't have that issue.

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                        Hey, Dave
                        I was thinking. If that skate turned out to be a drum like yours, I'm not sure I would have landed it. On 12# mono?

Comment

Congrats fellas!!! I can't wait to get down there!

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                            Anything is possible. You'll just have to take a very long and careful time bringing them.

Next time just use 50# on your salt rods and you won't have that issue.
                            ...and get a good sleigh ride using the 12#...lol....

Ryan,

Tip: Problem with squid (and other baits used for tipping) is the pesky croaker attacks. I've caught flounder with or without bait on a bucktail. Yep, no bait. I've also caught flounder using croaker or bluefish bellies (these were incidental catches) on the bucktail. A white curly tail on a jig (w/ no bait) also worked for me. I still use squid though. I think Dave caught flounder and drum on a baitless bucktail.

Don't know how strong the rips will be at CBBT. Bucktails at 1 1/2 and 2 oz should do it.

Comment

4" gulp mullet is what I always used. The 2oz seemed to hold better but I worked the 1.5 also that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X