11 Species Day!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Species Day!!!

Did a road trip with forum member Toadfinger, aka Steve to Gwynn Island at the southern side of the mouth of the Piankatank River in Mathews County, VA Thursday night. Expected to do a guide trip on Friday but was canceled due to the hard NE blow. We decided to go anyway with the kayaks and hit some "sheltered" waters. The wind was indeed a b!tch all day but, we made lemonade with an 11 species day between us!!

Here's the count: striper(1), speckled trout(2), croaker(3), white perch(4), flounder(5), red/puppy drum(6), whiting(7), oyster toad(8), spot(9), bluefish(10) and... a new species for me: a black drum(11). WOW! Talk about making lemonade out of a lemony, windy day!

Awesome area. Lots of pullage. Most being spunky croaker on light tackle. Couple pics...

Oh, did I mention my Dad's Day gift was tickets to a YANKEE game?
    Attached Files

Wow, congrats on a awesome pullage day! You endured the wind, but were rewarded. Maybe we now have a new place to check out.

Did you try a lot of different baits/lures? Or pretty much stick with a few versatile ones?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice going guys, and thanks for the report. Looks like a sweet spot.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        Did you try a lot of different baits/lures? Or pretty much stick with a few versatile ones?
        Mixed it up, sure, but the most consistent action was on chartreuse gulp on a 1/4 oz. jig head. White worked, too but chartreuse was better. Brownish flukes for the striper and trout...

Comment

Wow what a day, looks like another fun day on the water.
          '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
          '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
          Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Great day! Congratulations on catching so many species. That sure sounds like fun.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

wow! a wicked day for the species list!

Its half way through the year and Im only at 13

Nicely done!

Comment

That's awesome, John! The best I've ever done is maybe half as many. Pretty fish, too. I drove over the Piankatank for years while I lived in that area and always wanted to fish it. I've heard it's good for specks and reds.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The only thing you missed was a Partridge in a pear tree..Nice Job
                  Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                  Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Good job John. I may have to add that place to my wish list to try.

Comment

Working...
                    X