8/17 Early Am Trip and Friday Night all Nighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/17 Early Am Trip and Friday Night all Nighter

Me and summerschool are heading out around 6am tomorrow for the bay bridge, and also I am doing an all niter Friday night through dawn Saturday if anyone is interested at the same place. Got to get in what I can while I'm here! Then I will probably be ready for some new locations and species.

TJ

good luck! be careful out there at night, you cant see whats coming till its on you.

Comment

Thanks Sam, we will deffinately be carefull and equipped for the occasion, lights on poles and I'll bring flares this time.
      TJ

Comment

Ballsy. I bet you'll kill it though! Kanvery and I were thinking about sticking around Saturday night and dropping some eels in the deep parts... I bet that'd be pretty effective also.

We might go tomorrow evening if you guys change your mind...
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
          Ballsy. I bet you'll kill it though! Kanvery and I were thinking about sticking around Saturday night and dropping some eels in the deep parts... I bet that'd be pretty effective also.

We might go tomorrow evening if you guys change your mind...

If I hadn't been out at SPSP in the dark I wouldn't consider it, I like to be safe and continue living after fishing. Eels would probably work good, I wonder if the blue activity goes down enough at night to make it worth it. Hate dealing with those slimy tangly things! I would go in the evening but I have to work tomorrow afternoon, though an evening trip would definitely be do-able some time if I took off early, or worked from Annapolis that day! Good luck if you go out though!

Comment

Good luck out there tomorrow! I was hoping to go tomorrow night but I don't want to go alone. If anything changes and you decide to go in the afternoon let me know!

Comment

TJ, Good luck man! Let me know how things at night work out for you! You can get eels at Anglers I think they're $1.50 a piece. They could be the key to a trophy fish! I'm trying to go out on Friday morning with my dad (first time kayaker) If you feel like staying there all day or want to meet me there in the morning for some action that would be cool. That invitation is really for anybody that wants to get some exercise/fishing in before noon.
              www.anglerswithoutborders.com
              Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Good luck out there. Let us know how the eels work. I personally have never used them but have heard good things about them.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Good luck, TJ and be safe out there! I got to get some rigging done before I can venture out at night.

Live lining eels can be effective. Used to use them up north in the fall. Plenty of bass in the 20-40 lb range. But those were ocean fish migrating south. Eels can be a PITA! They wrap around your wrist, up the line, slimy and cost ya $$. A real bummer when bluefish come along and you're left with just a head! For these resident fish I suspect spot work just as well. Plus they're free! When the bigger fish are around and fewer bluefish might be worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                    Good luck, TJ and be safe out there! I got to get some rigging done before I can venture out at night.

Live lining eels can be effective. Used to use them up north in the fall. Plenty of bass in the 20-40 lb range. But those were ocean fish migrating south. Eels can be a PITA! They wrap around your wrist, up the line, slimy and cost ya $$. A real bummer when bluefish come along and you're left with just a head! For these resident fish I suspect spot work just as well. Plus they're free! When the bigger fish are around and fewer bluefish might be worth a shot.
                    Tip: Eels are easy to handle if you keep them cold ......... I usually put a rag on some ice and then put the eels on the rag in a small ice chest ........ just be sure the ice doesn't melt and cover the eels or they will die .........

When they are cold they don't struggle as much and come fully back to life very quickly ........

Comment

How was the trip?

Comment

It was alot windier and rougher then I expected, that current was ripping! You stop paddling for one second and you get pushed out into the middle between the two spans.. Fishing wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. The morning was veeeery slow. I hit a million pilons and I dont think I got my first fish until 10:30 or later... I lost a bunch of fish after that.. One because my rod leash cranked up in the handle and the fish got off while I was trying to untangle it, and another was big daddy..he took off and I couldn't stop him. He snagged up in the mess under there and when I freed my rig, the hook was gone. Caught like 4 or 5 fish 17-23" I'd guess as I didn't measure, but it took until 1:30.. and one of them was discusting, I put in back in the water and poked it with my paddle, and it BLED from where I poked it. nasty. John, fun fishing with you!

TJ

Comment

TJ it was great fishing with you to!! TJ had more luck than I did, I got about 5 quality hits but was allowing them to run with it with a loose drag and slowly tightening to set the circle hook, I thought that was how to fish the circle. TJ had his drag set tight and did not allow them to run, I discovered this after I turtled inside the piling around 1:00, then we decided to call it a day. We found out the hard way that having three kayaks inside the slanted or teepee pilings are just too many boats, all was well I had the kayak turned back over and was inside it in about a minute, only thing I lost was lures, the rods got tangled in my ropes and I did not lose them. Was going to happen sooner or later and now I know not to be afraid of it. Funny thing was that happened at the calmest part of the day when I wasn't worried about the rough weather anymore, and man does it happen fast!!

Comment

i had my leash do that also, what a pain in the ass. i think ill switch to Joes method of 1/8" poly line it should hang out of the way unlike weed eater line.

turtling happens mostly when we get complacent and forget to pay attention, i find that keeping your head centered in the yak keeps you balanced. even when pulling up an anchor or minnow bucket try to keep you head centered.

Comment

At least you got it over with and came a way with out any major losses!

Comment

Working...
                              X