First sheepie of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First sheepie of the year

It was nice to meet Ravens Defense and Kayak Joe out at the CBBT.

http://www.angling-addict.com/2012/0...e-of-year.html

Nice!
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I'll be out there to get mine!! LOL Rob, what's the best time of year to target them?

Comment

From now through early October

Comment

Sweet! I need to put my boss and wife on notice... I've been eyeing the winds everyday now! LOL

Comment

Nice! I've had the kayak for a year now and my goal this summer is to try and catch my first sheep. Just made my first trip down to the bridge tunnel area yesterday. Tried the bridge going over fisherman's inlet and the sheepshead still eludes me. Hopefully I'll get down again soon! I've been trying a little closer to home as well (Chincoteague area) but no luck yet there either.
            Brian

Comment

Rob,
              If slobberbob didn't reply the thread I'd completely miss your post. I was waiting for your post about sheepies. I made the rigs years ago, but I haven't tried yet.
              I placed the dropper loop 18" above the sinker. Is 18" too high? Should I place it 12” above the sinker?

Joe

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

12"-18" is fine.

Comment

Does it really matter? I have only fished for togs but no matter where I had the dropper loop, they took it. I would think it's about the bait type and if there's snags to hang up the hook if it's too low.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                    Does it really matter? I have only fished for togs but no matter where I had the dropper loop, they took it. I would think it's about the bait type and if there's snags to hang up the hook if it's too low.
                    I've caught both togs and sheeps on both high and low hook placements. The theory is that the togs actually squeeze themselves into the rocks sometimes and sheeps tend to hang around on top or next to the rocks. So Kevin and I like to place our baits a little higher up for sheeps and down low for togs. But like I said, sometimes it doesn't matter.

Comment

The reasons I asked the height of the hook from the bottom are:
                      • When I dove I saw Spade hang out in the middle of pilings in 20’ of water. Spades don’t stay on the bottom unless they were forced.
                      • Also I have seen small sheepies a few feet above the bottom to middle of the pilings. This is why Michael’s comment about slip sinker and a little jig head combo for vertical fishing, make sense me ( to place the bait where sheepies are). I will try it when I gain more experience at CBBT

Anyway, the local knowledge is most important to me. I learned that the same species (fish) prefer different types of lures or baits depending on their habitat. I am starting with Rob’s rig.

FYI, Here is how the forum members started tog-fishing:
                      Two years ago, Rob invited me to a tog-fishing.
                      Last year, in the spring, Michael and I went tog-fishing. That time we got more tips from Kayak-Kevin at Ocean East in the morning. And the rest is history

For sheepie fishing for all forum members, Efrin and Dave are it. You guys have to figure out how to, and teach us with pictures of rigs and baits, and tackle information
                      Joe
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

My rig works well for me.

We use the carolina rig with small jighead and clam for spades. We mostly fish a few feet under the surface. We've also caught sheepshead doing this. I know several diehard sheepshead fishermen that use the carolina rig and regular hook for sheepies... and even togs. It's a personal preference.

Side note, I saw a 20+" sheepshead a few inches under the surface, hugging a piling, last weekend. Gone by the time I got my rod in hand.

Comment

I'm guessing you are using a small weight to allow the rig to get under but not straight under so it's sort of "floating" under the water? The small jig head allows it to float slightly higher
                          that the carolina weight because of the current?

What about a float with a long leader and small jighead to accomplish the same thing?

What size hooks are you using?

Comment

Yup small lead. I know some guys that use a float. Kinda want to try it some time.

For jighead it's 1/4oz, for dropper loop it's 2/0 or 3/0.

Comment

Rob,
                              one more question. I think my tog rods are inadequate. What type of rods do you use? I am thinking a 6.5' medium, fast action graphite rod. What do you use?

Thanks,
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X