PDA

View Full Version : First sheepie of the year

robchoi
06-12-2012, 10:29 AM
It was nice to meet Ravens Defense and Kayak Joe out at the CBBT.

http://www.angling-addict.com/2012/06/first-sheepie-of-year.html

Shield
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Nice!

mytmouse
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I'll be out there to get mine!! LOL Rob, what's the best time of year to target them?

robchoi
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
From now through early October:D

mytmouse
06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Sweet! I need to put my boss and wife on notice... I've been eyeing the winds everyday now! LOL

Slobber Bob
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice! I've had the kayak for a year now and my goal this summer is to try and catch my first sheep. Just made my first trip down to the bridge tunnel area yesterday. Tried the bridge going over fisherman's inlet and the sheepshead still eludes me. Hopefully I'll get down again soon! I've been trying a little closer to home as well (Chincoteague area) but no luck yet there either.

ComeOnFish
07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Rob,
If slobberbob didn't reply the thread I'd completely miss your post. I was waiting for your post about sheepies. I made the rigs years ago, but I haven't tried yet.
I placed the dropper loop 18" above the sinker. Is 18" too high? Should I place it 12” above the sinker?

Joe

joe

robchoi
07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
12"-18" is fine.

HokieDJ
07-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Does it really matter? I have only fished for togs but no matter where I had the dropper loop, they took it. I would think it's about the bait type and if there's snags to hang up the hook if it's too low.

robchoi
07-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Does it really matter? I have only fished for togs but no matter where I had the dropper loop, they took it. I would think it's about the bait type and if there's snags to hang up the hook if it's too low.

I've caught both togs and sheeps on both high and low hook placements. The theory is that the togs actually squeeze themselves into the rocks sometimes and sheeps tend to hang around on top or next to the rocks. So Kevin and I like to place our baits a little higher up for sheeps and down low for togs. But like I said, sometimes it doesn't matter.

ComeOnFish
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
The reasons I asked the height of the hook from the bottom are:

When I dove I saw Spade hang out in the middle of pilings in 20’ of water. Spades don’t stay on the bottom unless they were forced.
Also I have seen small sheepies a few feet above the bottom to middle of the pilings. This is why Michael’s comment about slip sinker and a little jig head combo for vertical fishing, make sense me ( to place the bait where sheepies are). I will try it when I gain more experience at CBBT

Anyway, the local knowledge is most important to me. I learned that the same species (fish) prefer different types of lures or baits depending on their habitat. I am starting with Rob’s rig.

FYI, Here is how the forum members started tog-fishing:
Two years ago, Rob invited me to a tog-fishing.
Last year, in the spring, Michael and I went tog-fishing. That time we got more tips from Kayak-Kevin at Ocean East in the morning. And the rest is history

For sheepie fishing for all forum members, Efrin and Dave are it. You guys have to figure out how to, and teach us with pictures of rigs and baits, and tackle information:)
Joe

robchoi
07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
My rig works well for me.

We use the carolina rig with small jighead and clam for spades. We mostly fish a few feet under the surface. We've also caught sheepshead doing this. I know several diehard sheepshead fishermen that use the carolina rig and regular hook for sheepies... and even togs. It's a personal preference.

Side note, I saw a 20+" sheepshead a few inches under the surface, hugging a piling, last weekend. Gone by the time I got my rod in hand.

HokieDJ
07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm guessing you are using a small weight to allow the rig to get under but not straight under so it's sort of "floating" under the water? The small jig head allows it to float slightly higher
that the carolina weight because of the current?

What about a float with a long leader and small jighead to accomplish the same thing?

What size hooks are you using?

robchoi
07-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Yup small lead. I know some guys that use a float. Kinda want to try it some time.

For jighead it's 1/4oz, for dropper loop it's 2/0 or 3/0.

ComeOnFish
07-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Rob,
one more question. I think my tog rods are inadequate. What type of rods do you use? I am thinking a 6.5' medium, fast action graphite rod. What do you use?

Thanks,
Joe

robchoi
07-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I use the same rods for togs as I do for sheeps.

I use a Trevala S. It's not as sensitive as graphite, but I enjoy it. Two of my friends use the regular (fat black handle) trevala and love it. Kevin uses a J. Buky custom. I used to use a Teramar and that worked fine. What I (and Kevin) recommend is something like the Shimano Compre Graphite Musky rod. If I didn't have my trevala or trevala s, I would get one of these. There are cheaper alternatives that will work too. Just don't get a really noodley rod and expect to be able to properly fight the big ones.

ComeOnFish
07-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Thank you Rob. I don't have to buy new rods. That is great.
Joe

Shady
07-12-2012, 10:46 AM
sorry, just dropping in on your convo guys. Im wondering if you could use a slip float rig similar to what some people use for crappie for the Spades?

robchoi
07-13-2012, 09:43 AM
sorry, just dropping in on your convo guys. Im wondering if you could use a slip float rig similar to what some people use for crappie for the Spades?

Try it. Let us know how it goes.

ComeOnFish
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Dang! I couldn’t leave home early due to an emergency at work. Yesterday (Sat, July 14) I arrived at the launch site at 11:15am. There was no parking spot nearby. I spent about 30 minutes to find a spot in front of a day care. Some no parking sign were misleading. We (I and other beach goers) asked locals to make sure that we legally parked.
I launched at 12:30PM, headed for the first 4 prong pilings because of the Thunder Storm warning at 3:00pm, and also because I wanted thoroughly investigate the location Tufnik and HokieDJ were.

I met 4 kayak-anglers. They quickly gave up the location and headed for the First Island.

I purchased 4 dozens of fiddler crab and covered 21’-34’ of water beginning of the 4 prong pilings and beyond the 5 prong pilings sheepshead.

I caught 20+ 9inch croakers, 5 toadfish, and 1 pigifish on fiddler crab for 4 hours. I thought once (the second hit), I caught a sheepshead. It feels like a 15” tautog for 4 seconds. The fish got away.

I dove once. The visibility was 2.5 feet. And the current was stronger than I thought for freediving. Perhaps I give up the dream of kayak-spearfishing in VA (kayak reachable locations).

I met a friendly father and son team fishing for Spade Fish. They were using a slip sinker and jig head rig. The boy told me that they caught Spade from 11-12’ of water. They were using a small clam strip on a 3/16-1/4oz jig head (hook size looked 1 or 1/0)

SO I mimicked what they were doing. When we reached the 20’ of water, at 05:30pm I had to come back home.

I think kayak fishing for spadefish and sheepshead in VA is tough. I am ready to ditch the fishing tips originated from SC, FL, LA, AL and TX because kayak-fishing for these species in VA (kayak-reachable locations) is quite different. I will be using Rob’s rig for Sheepshead and slip sinker/jig head combo for Spadefish.

Next time I am heading for the First Island (CBBT) or the HBRT rock pile depending on the wind.

Now it is a war.

Joe

tufnik
07-15-2012, 07:48 PM
With all your effort, and no sheeps........yes, it is war now. Next time I'm sure you'll get them.

Is your slip sinker the same as an egg sinker? How long was your leader?

Did you see any spades or sheeps during your dive?

Did you see any cannonball jellyfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_jellyfish)? For bait, Bill said spades like them and croakers don't.

I hope to try this weekend. First, I'll try 10-15' for spades, then work toward the island. Will try the carolina rig with a 1-2 oz egg. Instead of a jighead on the rig, I'm thinking about using a j-hook (and a 1/4 oz egg sinker and bead just above the j-hook). Hope it works.

Thanks for the report.

ComeOnFish
07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Tufnik,
My silp sinker is an 3 oz egg sinker. I used a 2 foot leader
I didn't see any fish or jelly fish
Your spadefish rigg will work.

I think we need to bring Michael because Michael will find the fish. Or Dave will be also good. Somehow Dave found the fish last time. We just steal their spots once they find the fish.

Joe

Redfish12
07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Haha always happy to help. When are we heading down?

mytmouse
07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Haha always happy to help. When are we heading down?

Keep me posted when you go! ;)

ComeOnFish
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
This Saturday(Jul 21) I have to be home by 5:00pm. To me, Cape Henlopen rock pile sounds better than CBBT becaue of the driving hours.
I can fish until 01:30pm. I know the tog season will restart on July 17, but I don't know if sheepies will be there at the rock pile.

You guys check out CBBT. I will check Cape Henlopen rock pile for sheepies

joe

Joe