First Pohick Pike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Pohick Pike

I decided this year I was going to catch I snakehead. I've been out a few time in Pohick Bay now, but was only able to catch bass. Finally, this Sunday I got my first one. I was throwing a green pumpkin rage tail toad. I also managed a handful of bass on the frog. I had some leftover minnows that I brought to PLO on Saturday that I decided to throw out under a bobber. I picked up a small white perch, a small yellow perch, and a few bass and catfish on the minnows. I'm interested to give the snakehead a try and see how it tastes.
    Attached Files

Nice job on the SH!

How'd it go getting it into the yak?

Comment

Nice! Kanvery posted a great recipe a while back if you like Asian food. You might be able to search for it.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Nice SH! I was out there with my son putting in about 5:30-6 pm. We were looking for our first Sh but only found 2 decent size LMB. Fished until dark. I was wondering, we headed to the left after leaving the ramp back twards the pads. Is this the right general area??Some mentioned going further up the creek. Seemed like it was shallow, 6" at times so we turned around came back out. Beautiful evening.

Comment

Originally posted by mango View Post
          Nice SH! I was out there with my son putting in about 5:30-6 pm. We were looking for our first Sh but only found 2 decent size LMB. Fished until dark. I was wondering, we headed to the left after leaving the ramp back twards the pads. Is this the right general area??Some mentioned going further up the creek. Seemed like it was shallow, 6" at times so we turned around came back out. Beautiful evening.
          You can go straight across from the launch as well. Same general idea. Hidden behind the lilypads there are skinny creeks that hold em. A little bit more of a paddle. Just make sure you go when the water levels are decent.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
            Nice job on the SH!

How'd it go getting it into the yak?
            I didn't have too hard a time getting it into the kayak. I was fishing the frog on a stanley double take hook and had one hook through the upper jaw and one through the lower jaw. So I couldn't get my lip gripper on right away. I had a metal stringer with the clips. I put one of those on then put the lip gripper on when I got one of the hooks out. I didn't really bring it into the yak until after I had killed it and let it mostly bleed out into the water.

Comment

Originally posted by mango View Post
              I was back a ways in the creek. I fished from around 12 pm to around 6. By the time I left the tide was mostly out I think because it got pretty shallow and the bite slowed for me. Both the SH I caught and another one that blew up on the frog were pretty tight to shore. I'm still new to SH fishing so I'm not sure where to catch them at low tide.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                You can go straight across from the launch as well. Same general idea. Hidden behind the lilypads there are skinny creeks that hold em. A little bit more of a paddle. Just make sure you go when the water levels are decent.
                thanks for the info jsnyd86, have to watch out for the PWC's they were screaming around like a hornets nest. Can't complain to much, i use to have one. made the move to a simpler way of enjoying the water and haven't looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
                  I was back a ways in the creek. I fished from around 12 pm to around 6. By the time I left the tide was mostly out I think because it got pretty shallow and the bite slowed for me. Both the SH I caught and another one that blew up on the frog were pretty tight to shore. I'm still new to SH fishing so I'm not sure where to catch them at low tide.
                  Wonder if that was you I saw loading up a blue kayak as I was unloading to go out. I pulled up with a trailer I rigged up to hold 4 kayaks. Thanks for info on the tide. Very shallow and the water was still running out. Let us know how that thing tasted and how you cooked it.

Comment

nice SH. I am still dying to catch my first
                    Cliff Williams
                    Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice work! I can't wait to catch my first. I've tried 4-5 times in locations that have them, but no luck yet.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                      X