Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.s. Va, hrbt, cbbt 6/9-6/10

2 day (almost nonstop) fish-a-thon with kayakjoe

Saturday - Fished the ES of VA looking for whatever. Had the yaks loaded to the max with clams, eels, 2 lb block of chum, weights...you name it, we had it. Great water clarity. Ran over one bull red, but he wasnt interested. Managed a CN ray...of course, never fails. Later in the afternoon we moved to the High Rise to look for spades...tricky little bastards. Didnt have any luck, but we didnt try too hard. A spear fisherman said they were around. Cool thing though was while targeting spades, the rip washed me off the piling. As I made a u-turn to get repositioned, I see a huge splash about 6 ft off the bow and its Mr. Brown Clown. Not huge, maybe 30 inches, but a first for sure. Paddled out to the edge of a near by shoal and started chumming for a few hours. Skates, skates, and more skates.

Sat Night- Arrived at HRBT around 9:00 PM. Fished hard till about 1:00AM. Croakers up to 16 inches and something that broke me off after a hard run. My money is on another ray. Packed up and was sound asleep in Oceans East 2 parking lot by 3:00. They open at 4:00, so not the quietest parking lot I've slept in.

Sunday CBBT - Our logic was that no day that has started with a fresh, hot Crispy Cream dounut has ended badly, so we went across the street to their store. I had two just to be safe. On the water by 0700 with fresh mole crabs and live fiddlers; both self-caught. (Does that count towards avoiding the skunk? ) Targeting sheeps. Had one hard hit that I missed and that was it...tricky big bastards. Fished for flounder the rest of of the day and we ended up with flatties up to 19. Kept two for dinner and was in bed by 10 PM.

Sorry, no pics...was too busy fishing. Kayakjoe may have a few if he chooses to put them up.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Sounds like a good weekend, plus a couple of keepers.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Krispy kremes! Mmm mmmm good, for sure gonna be a staple for future trips! I highly recommend it to everyone! And the coffee cups are perfect for mole keepers too hahah
      Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

Nice seeing you guys out under the CBBT. Hope you get into them next time.

Comment

You too Rob. Good work on the sheepie. You were one excited dude and I don't blame you.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah, I get pretty into it

And it really was a great fight.

Comment

Nice report and good catching even if it wasnt your target. Any Flounder at HRBT? What did you use to get the croaker there? What did you get the flounder on at CBBT? I'm hoping I can make it down there sometime this month or the next, when are you all going to be down again?
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks Shady.
                We didnt have much luck at the HRBT this past weekend for flounder. The croaker were just too thick. Jkrahl and I picked up a few two weekends ago though. I used a small jig head with ANY variation of GULP! for the croaker. Most of them are in the 8 in range so I would make a trip down just for that. The CBBT was much better. I use heavier jigs...1-3oz Spros depending on the current. I tipped it with a Marsh Works Bayou Thumper (Croakaine), dipped in GULP!. I settle on a house this weekend, so I will be tied up at least for one weekend, but I can't get Mr. Sheepie out of my head, so Ill probably be down the sometime in the next two weeks. Ill likely fish two days.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the info, I wont be able to make it for a few weeks. When I go I will probably try to fish HRBT one night and CBBT during the day. Do you know if bluecrab quarters will work for sheepshead like they work for tog?
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I've heard they work, but I would not be the best person to ask. Sheepies are a whole new ball game to me. Mole crabs (commonly called sand fleas) also work. Easily caught under the CBBT in about a foot of water. Don't forget fiddlers either. Hope to see you out there.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Mole crabs and sand fleas are different.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Yes, they are. Mole crabs are incorrectly, commonly referred to as sand fleas.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Looks like you had a similar trip to mine, Raven. Can't wait to do it again. This Norfolk/VB fishing can be addictive.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Yeah it can. Good thing I'm still 2 hours away and drive a guzzling truck or I'd practically live down there. Nice report you posted as well.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

You beat me. I'm 3 1/2 to 4 hours away. I just listen to the tunes
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X