Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinco CBBT HRBT 8-9 Jun 2012

Chincoteague, Fri

Inspired by Ron and Chex, I had to check this place out. Hit the water at Queen Sound Boat Launch, Chincoteague, just before 0900 hrs. The day was nice. Sunny with blue sky, light breeze.

Jigged, casted and dragged a white bucktail with squid, white grub worm/twister, bass assassin on a jig, and fluke rig with squid and Gulp Alive sandworm. Worked the grassy and rocky edges as well as the pilings. I also worked the drift under the bridge. A lot of nibbles on the squid. Caught a few small croakers. That's all.

It was an extra slow day. I watched a number of boats. I didn't see them catch anything. On shore, one boater said he caught nothing. Another local and frequent boater said he caught something, but it came off the hook. He remarked saying the fish aren't around much. He thought it might be the unusual weather season we had. He seemed disappointed.

I quit early so I could drive to Virginia Beach (1 1/2 hours) and get a good night's rest for an early start at CBBT.

CBBT, Sat

Was on the water at 0700 hrs. The day was nice. Very light breeze. Sunny and blue sky. Water was calm, and near flat at times. I caught the end of the outgoing tide, and headed for the 1st island three miles away. There rips weren't too bad.

Lots of boats were out. There were nearly a dozen boats within a 100 yards radius from me while I fished near the rocks of the first island. Seemed like most of the boaters were rigged for flounder using minnows and sinkers. A few boaters were catching croakers. I didn't see anyone pull up anything but a few croakers on either of the two party boats (each with about two dozen people). They left after an hour. I saw one boater pull up a keeper flounder. A yaker caught a short flounder and a bunch of croakers. He also said another boater pulled up a short flattie. Another boater caught a skate.

Croakers were everywhere. They hit my fluke rig often. I caught and released about a dozen. I also caught small black sea bass and this unidentified fish (Scup-Porgy?) at the first island. I did catch a 12" blue on the way back in.

It was before noon, and since it was was slow, I had to make a decision. Do I continue to fish for 3-4 more hours in a somewhat discouraging situation or go elsewhere. Sheesh, if I go, I have to pedal three miles back to shore, in the warm weather. I estimated I'd be on shore by 1:30 pm and be on the water at HRBT at 3 pm. I decided to leave.

HRBT-North (Ft Monroe), Sat

Was on the water at 3 pm. Still a nice afternoon. Very little wind, which made it uncomfortably warm with the mostly sunny sky.

Lots of croaker everywhere. They continually hit my fluke rig and bucktail/squid. I like hardheads, but they were pesky. I C/R about two dozen. Anyway, I finally caught flounder (a 15 1/2 " and a 17" keeper). One yaker caught only croakers. Another young yaker said he caught a flounder, but forgot his cooler (I assume that's why he threw it back. Huh?). On the way back in just before dark, I talked to one fellow in a group of yakers. He said they just started, but his buddy had just caught a 20" flattie. Most of them were targeting stripers.

Phew, what a day! Tired, but I went home with a blue, a flounder and a couple croakers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Very nice Tufnik. Second pic, where is that launch?
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

For pics in 1st post:
      1st, 2nd pics: Queen Sound
      3th to 7th: CBBT
      8th, 9th: HRBT

Pics below are also Queen Sound too. Sandy/grassy area for yaks too. Easy paddle/pedal to the bridge or surrounding edges, islands, etc. When the flounder bite is on, I hope to go back there.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tufnik; 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Nice report! Sorry you got little action at Queen Sound, but way to make up for it at CBBT.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Way to go Tufnik. You sure put in a strong effort to fish all those spots in one weekend.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice! Did you see any spades out at CBBT? I hear they are starting to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
              Very nice! Did you see any spades out at CBBT? I hear they are starting to show up.
              The yaker I met at CBBT was targeting spades, and he caught small ones. He gave up and went after flounder.

Comment

Man you are hardcore Tufnik!!! My goal is to hit up both the HRBT and CBBT this year! We'll see how it goes...lol

Comment

Working...
                X